Sponsored by:

gt3 front without wing

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2008, 12:11 AM
CayenneS2083
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default gt3 front without wing

I plan to install a gt3 front bumper and no wing. I know some ppl have done this, does it mess up the aerodynamics bad? any of you track your cars like this?
Old 02-26-2008, 10:19 AM
1Carnut
Pro

Received 76 Likes on 48 Posts

I have driven a car that had this setup, and yes it does. If you plan to drive at high speeds, it can be very dangerous. Front lift without proper downforce will car make the car unstable without any warning.
Old 02-26-2008, 11:51 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

Question: Why would the GT3 front end aerodynamics result in more LIFT? I would think that the central air passage is diverting more air from the central underside to the topside. The GT3 employs a larger rear spoiler than the normal Carrera/S one,--clearly you'd have to find something that has an equivalent downforce capability.

On the other hand, just how fast are you driving it? Where do you live? Street or track?
Old 02-26-2008, 12:00 PM
Rick in Colorado
Instructor

Variations of this question are popular lately here and on 6speed. Since the GT3/aerokit spoilers were developed as a package, using either the front or rear, without the other, would cause "some" inbalance. I read in R&T (a few years ago) that the aerokit solution is designed to provide zero lift, front and rear, at 200kph. So...if you drive fast I would guess that it would be iffy. And, while driving that fast (on the road at least) is illegal, why would you want a 180mph car that gets increasing less stable as you explore it's potential?

I agree with Dan: front only would not cause lightness in the front end - just the opposite.
Old 02-26-2008, 03:51 PM
CayenneS2083
Advanced

Im never going to be going 180 but i do plan on a few track sessions. I just love the look of the gt3 front though but am not a fan of spoilers, even the small ones i love the simple rear end but i think the front just looks like a happy face and would like it more agressive. If there is anyone here who has done the front without the wing please chime in i would love to hear first hand
Old 02-26-2008, 04:39 PM
Alstoy
Burning Brakes

Cayenne,

There may be an issue if it's going on your Cayenne. Sorry, couldn't resist. On a more serious note, I agree with you about the look of the GT3 front looking great while the rear being clean is nicer. If I ever would do this to my car, I would leave the back as is. Shouldn't the base cars be able to go ~175+ without any of these contraptions (as is)?

Cheers.
Old 02-26-2008, 04:47 PM
CDH911C2S
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default GT3 Front

I am considering the same undertaking...I thought about calling Porsche and inquiring about ordering my 911 with the aerokit option, minus the rear wing, and see if Porsche felt there were any issues..i.e. would then even entertain such an option
Old 02-26-2008, 04:53 PM
YA911Fan
Burning Brakes

Just curious -- what would be the point of doing this other than to make it look like something it isn't?
Old 02-26-2008, 05:51 PM
Rick in Colorado
Instructor

My wife bought one of the first Audi TTs in the summer of 1999. Evidently, they had a rash of accidents/deaths (in Europe, at high speeds) due to lightness in the rear end - so much so that they retrofitted all of the previously sold models (including ours) with a rear lip wing. From then on, all newly manufactured TTs came with a factory-installed wing. I remember being pissed because the retrofit looked "JC Whitney" on a previously fresh/beautiful design.

In late 1999, early 2000 the First Generation TT had its load of problems because eyebrows raised as questions grew about the car’s poor handling as the tally of fatal accidents piled up. The car was deemed unstable when cornering at high speeds, due to “throttle lift-off oversteering”. It was imperative that Audi rectify the situation as quickly as possible by altering the problem by changing the suspension settings to increase under-steer, and adding a rear wing spoiler to lower lift. These changes helped the problem, and gave the car back its reputation.

Messing with the factory's engineering prowess is never advisable - especially if you want to track the car. As I said before, why purposely do something that will lessen your handling?

And regarding CDH911C2S's thought about calling Porsche. There have been threads on this subject and the factory (as well as the dealers) won't do it for the (liability) reasons that have been discussed.
Old 02-26-2008, 06:17 PM
CayenneS2083
Advanced

YA911fan: it's because i like the look, it is the same thing as the aerokit front but is actually a few hundred dollars cheaper plus the black went looks pretty cool.

I was thinking about the old 4s, porsche built them with a full turbo body kit but no rear spoiler, how come they didn't have problems?
Old 02-26-2008, 06:18 PM
CayenneS2083
Advanced

also farnbacher loles puts the gt3 front on the caymans, wouldn't that mess up the balance? Anyways thanks for the info, i appreciate it
Old 02-26-2008, 08:17 PM
Vancouver83LTD
Nordschleife Master

I would suspect a Cayenne doesn't slip through the air as easily and has sufficient weight to not be lifting during high speed cornering.
Old 02-26-2008, 08:31 PM
YA911Fan
Burning Brakes

If you're just doing it for aesthetics, and don't plan to operate near max speed, I doubt there would be a problem since you already have a functional rear spoiler. I suspect the GT3 wing is more about marketing (ie, product differentiation) than actual function at all but the highest speeds. With Porsche, it's all about marketing these days!

Originally Posted by CayenneS2083
YA911fan: it's because i like the look, it is the same thing as the aerokit front but is actually a few hundred dollars cheaper plus the black went looks pretty cool.

I was thinking about the old 4s, porsche built them with a full turbo body kit but no rear spoiler, how come they didn't have problems?
Old 02-26-2008, 09:56 PM
Deanski
Three Wheelin'

Sure, Porsche does design these things for high speed track work or Autoban etc.

That said, for USA street use, let me give you a little insight.

With the Aerokit bumper and lip, be ready for the lip to hit steep inclines or exits from parking lots, driveways. Then there are speed bumps, oh these can also raise hell on the lip. No way of getting around it that's for sure.

My advise, keep the original lip, get a flat black GT3 lip for it as they are cheap. Trash that, replace and your good again.

So if you just want the look and plan not to be driving at some bat-out-of-hell speeds, then you should be fine.

Deanski
Old 02-27-2008, 12:02 AM
CayenneS2083
Advanced

thanks for the info deanski, i actually like how the black lip looks on my white with black wheels. Its not the streat driving but i would like to ocasionally take it to the track, nothing serious though. Do you think it will be safe for this?

Quick Reply: gt3 front without wing