Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What is the best bang for the buck mod you have done or are planning?

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2008, 11:06 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

My best mod's have been for me to learn to drive a rear engine Porsche at the track with PCA and Chin Motorsports. The performance all around of the stock car is above 99% of people driving these cars.

I installed CG Locks on my seat belts and that helped me a lot at the track. I would like to have a roll bar or harness bar and GT3 seats to even better hold in place.

I then installed Pagid Yellow pads and am now useing Preformance Friction PF97 pads at the track and the braking is much better than stock. I take them out and put stock pads in for the street.

Toyo R- comp tires made a nice difference over the PS2's at the track as I got into the more advanced run groups.

All in all this has made me a better street driver as well. I do not drive agressivley on the street but understand the handling of the car and improving my skills helped me swerve out of a situation.
Old 02-16-2008, 11:17 AM
1999Porsche911
Race Car

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by MLindgren
Do you have durability testing results showing superior wear results when using these other oils? You make an intriguing claim, I'd just like to see the back up that supports your opinion. Makes me wonder what the hell Porsche was thinking when they specified the oil for these cars.

By the time your get a durability test dione your engine will be fried. The pushing of 0W40 by some manufacturers was a combination of an attempt to increase gas mileage and, what I believe, were false claims of the oil's performance pushed on the auto industry. You'll note than many car manufacturers no longer recommend or fill their engines with 0W40. They have moved up to a minimum of 5W.

Do you really think that Porsche's recommendation to only change oil every 20,000 miles is the proper recommendations. Another example of a them wanting to go GREEN at the cost of your engine.

Porsche also gets substantial financial incentive from Mobil to use their oil as do most car manufacturers for the oil they use. Just like Nascar, they pay to have their label put on the car.
Old 02-16-2008, 06:48 PM
DJ23
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 63 Posts

Of all the modifications I did the Revo upgrade along with the Evo air intake gave the most noticeable result. The Fabspeed headers and the PSE gave great sound that are awesome between 3000 and 4000 RPM's. I've ordered an RSS Plenum that will soon be installed. I'll let you know if the acclaimed HP gains RSS reports are substantiated. To date I have had one dyno done on the aforementioned mods and had 380 hp at the engine recorded. This time I think will have it dynoed with hp results at wheel and engine after the plenum is installed.

Jay
Old 02-16-2008, 09:46 PM
Lblackman
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mdrums
My best mod's have been for me to learn to drive a rear engine Porsche at the track with PCA and Chin Motorsports. The performance all around of the stock car is above 99% of people driving these cars.

I installed CG Locks on my seat belts and that helped me a lot at the track. I would like to have a roll bar or harness bar and GT3 seats to even better hold in place.

I then installed Pagid Yellow pads and am now useing Preformance Friction PF97 pads at the track and the braking is much better than stock. I take them out and put stock pads in for the street.

Toyo R- comp tires made a nice difference over the PS2's at the track as I got into the more advanced run groups.

All in all this has made me a better street driver as well. I do not drive agressivley on the street but understand the handling of the car and improving my skills helped me swerve out of a situation.
+1 .... learning to drive the car is the best money I will spend! I'm hoping for 15+ track days this season.

Question ... on the CG lock any other experience with these? It looks like a poor mans alternative to putting proper seats and belts in the car. (Mods that I will make once I have done some track days with the car in stock configuration.)

Lorne
Old 02-16-2008, 10:03 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by Lblackman
+1 .... learning to drive the car is the best money I will spend! I'm hoping for 15+ track days this season.

Question ... on the CG lock any other experience with these? It looks like a poor mans alternative to putting proper seats and belts in the car. (Mods that I will make once I have done some track days with the car in stock configuration.)

Lorne
Hi Lorne, yes the Cg Lock is the poor mans alternative to race seats, roll bar and harness. I want to do all that but do not really know how long I will keep this new car. I am waiting for the Tiptronic transmission to go away and the new paddle shift dual clutch transmission to come out. See, I am a left leg amputee so I can not push a clutch pedal so the Tip allows me to have a Porsche.

Have fun at the track...the best mod anyone can do!

Mike
Old 02-16-2008, 10:49 PM
E55AMG
Rennlist Member

Received 674 Likes on 341 Posts

Regarding oil there's a thread on the 997TT forum "oil rumors".
Old 02-17-2008, 01:58 AM
Nugget
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by MLindgren
I'm currently in the process of having mufflers modded by FisterD. Haven't done much else. What is the top of your list?
Track time (even autocross counts). Seriously. Three or four $20 autocross events or a single $200 track driver's education event will do you a lot more good than any gizmo or doodad you can bolt on to the suspension or engine bay. It's a lot more fun and gratifying, to boot.
Old 02-17-2008, 07:35 AM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by E55AMG
Regarding oil there's a thread on the 997TT forum "oil rumors".
.... there are literally dozens of "oil" threads on the 996 Forum, and most of them contain the "Mobile water" comment by 1999Porsche911.
Old 02-17-2008, 09:23 AM
Matias_S
Instructor

Smile

Originally Posted by Lblackman

Lorne
+2 or is it +3 already?

Track time with an instructor who knows Porsches is very valuable.
Old 02-17-2008, 10:44 AM
MLindgren
Three Wheelin'

I am trying to fit in a trip to PSDS sometime this year.
Old 02-17-2008, 09:13 PM
ECS
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Are you thinking for track or just cruising. I have a bunch of good but reasonable ones for the track.
Old 02-17-2008, 09:15 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 426 Likes on 221 Posts

Best bang for the buck:

Old 02-17-2008, 09:20 PM
dndodd
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Best bang for the Buck has to be the E-bay/Suncoast headers. $200 adds a little Hp and the engine revs easier and you get rid of the Highway resonance or drone.

Quick Reply: What is the best bang for the buck mod you have done or are planning?