Sponsored by:

Coding PCM for a phone

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2008, 02:31 AM
printemps2001
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coding PCM for a phone

Does anyone know how time consuming it is to have the PCM coded for a phone? Also, any idea as to what I should expect to pay? Thanks.
Old 02-17-2008, 11:11 AM
Bob/Ft. Worth
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The PCM won't 'accept' a phone unless you have the OEM phone module installed by the factory or dealer, option 666. The OEM module is, I believe around $1k and then it's a pretty extensive install time-wise =$$$$. Activating the PCM for the telephone is then only a check mark away using the pwis computer

Then you need to set up a second phone with your carrier to get a SIM card (i guess unless you remove the sim card from a current phone each time you use the PCM).
Aftermarket alternatives are available from Nav-TV and Denison from bumperplugs.com (no affiliation), much cheaper and use bluetooth so you can use any phone.
Old 02-17-2008, 11:50 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 244 Likes on 135 Posts

It's been my understanding that several of us with the 666 option have had their sim card duplicated in Thailand so that they don't go through the issue of handling their sim card everytime they get in the car. (They just have to remember to turn off their portable unit in their pockets).
Old 02-18-2008, 02:31 AM
axhoaxho
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the 666 option in my 997S. I went to my carrier (AT&T) to add a family plan, and get a 2nd SIM card. It is about twenty some dollars extra per month, but the family plan also came with more free minutes and free text messages, so the deal is fair to me.

I just pop the 2nd SIM in the PCM dash slot, and instantly & automatically the PCM phone is activated and ready to use. Leave it and use it, no need for further set up ever.

The 666 option does have a very nice microphone built-in into the steering wheel column, the sound quality is excellent and people cannot tell I am on a car speakerphone. The automatic mute, integrated PCM display, and steering column stalk control are very nice.

I got the 666 option originally just want to try it out, but after using it I think it is not too bad. I heard that Porsche is going to update the 2009 997 with new dash, and probably a new PCM. Let's hope it will be a bluetooth built-in in the 2009 model.

With best regards,

Quick Reply: Coding PCM for a phone