Sponsored by:

Heel/Toe Shifting with PCCB's

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2008, 11:56 AM
WAC
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Heel/Toe Shifting with PCCB's

I have a question for you guys that have PCCB's and have mastered heel/toe downshifting using them. What are the keys to success? I may not have the best heel/toe technique (in fact I'm probably not that good) with steel brakes but I just can't seem to get the hang of it with my new car and it's ceramics.

When you hammer the brakes they are phenomenal in terms of stopping power but they also tend to grab pretty quickly. So when I press on the brakes and try to roll my foot to use the outside of my foot on the gas pedal, or my heel on the gas, I apply too much brake pressure and the brakes grab too quickly. It's not at all fluid or smooth. With steel brakes you can sort of "feather" the brakes as you blip the engine and shift, I can't seem to be able to do that with the ceramics.

What I have been resorting to is to hit the brakes, then blip, shift and back on the gas. It's more like a 3 step than a 2 step procedure. It works ok but not smooth and not quick.

I drove a car with PCCB's on the track when I did PDE last year and heel toe was doable because you're typically really hammering the brakes before downshifting as you prepare to turn (in fact that was the number 1 lesson I learned at PDE - how to brake really hard). But on the street you don't hit the brakes that way.

I'm getting ready for my first Autocross in my new car tomorrow and would like to work on this some today. I really don't like the idea of running 80 mph at over 5,000-6,000 rpms and then downshifting without heel/toe but on the Autocross track there isn't much time...

Anyway, if anyone has any suggestions I'd sure appreciate the help.

Also, has anyone installed Rennline pedals (with the wider flanges on the gas pedal) in their 997? If you have would you post a picture and give me some feedback? I had them on my 996 and the flange really helps with pedal sensitivity in heel/toe so I've been thinking maybe I need to install those on my current car.

Thanks again for any input!

Tony
Old 02-09-2008, 12:44 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 440 Likes on 224 Posts

Hi Tony,
Nice choice of vehicle and color combo.
I'm no track star by any means but generally speaking I have found that I can only heel-toe when braking very hard. For more normal driving situations, I'm not sure heel-toe makes much sense.
Old 02-09-2008, 03:00 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

Practice
Old 02-09-2008, 05:33 PM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

You should post this on the racing board.

I think the rennline pedals would make it easier even without PCCB's.
Old 02-09-2008, 05:52 PM
b911s
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Tony, one thing that may be different especially in the 4S with the brakes, PCCB or Steel, is that these cars have double boosters and pre-tension the brakes when the system feels any quick pedal movement. The normal cars do not have this, so this might be a little explaination as to why they seem so sensitive as compaired to what your use to. Just a thought.

Bruce
Old 02-09-2008, 08:27 PM
WAC
Instructor

Thanks guys.

Dan, I take it that you have got this down so that's encouraging. I've been working on it for awhile and I'm not...

Tony
Old 02-10-2008, 11:09 AM
Sands
Instructor

Here is a pic of the Rennline pedals, with the extensions, that I have in my car. I have been heel-and-toeing for years as this is the way I learned to drive. The problem with the 997 is that the gas pedal is too far down compared to the brake pedal for reliable downshifts at lower speeds. At higher speeds, with more brake pedal pressure, it is easier.

The Rennline pedals have really not helped that much with the problem. I have had to learn an entirely new technique, which involves rolling over my right foot to blip the gas, rather than blipping it with my heel. This works out pretty well most of the time.

That said, the pedals are excellent, with a good feel and non-slip surface. On a track, which I don't do, I suspect the higher speeds and these pedals would improve your heel-and-toeing.
Attached Images  
Old 02-10-2008, 11:19 AM
InTheAir
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Sands, have you considered the Rennline throttle extension (lifter plate) ?

http://www.rennline.com/prodinfo.asp?number=PA71
Old 02-10-2008, 01:12 PM
Sands
Instructor

Originally Posted by InTheAir
Sands, have you considered the Rennline throttle extension (lifter plate) ?

http://www.rennline.com/prodinfo.asp?number=PA71
Interesting question. When I first ordered the pedals, I knew that they were just about to come out with those lifter plates. I simply decided to try the extensions first. I've gotten so used to this setup that I think I might just leave well enough alone. Thanks for the suggestion, though.
Old 02-10-2008, 04:48 PM
WAC
Instructor

I'm ordering the pedals and lifter plate! I didn't know about the lifter plate but as I was "practicing" this morning on the way to autocross I figured out that the height difference was perhaps a bigger part of my problem than the touchy brakes.

I have tried the foot roll manuever and, maybe you get used to it, but it makes my foot hurt like hell.

Thanks again for the advice.

Tony
Old 02-11-2008, 09:36 AM
Sands
Instructor

WAC,

Let us know how you make out .
Old 02-11-2008, 11:28 AM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by WAC
I'm ordering the pedals and lifter plate! I didn't know about the lifter plate but as I was "practicing" this morning on the way to autocross I figured out that the height difference was perhaps a bigger part of my problem than the touchy brakes.

I have tried the foot roll manuever and, maybe you get used to it, but it makes my foot hurt like hell.

Thanks again for the advice.

Tony
Not too sure that the lifter plate is the best solution...
H/T is an acquired skill and with new PCCB's it seems to be impossible with the sharp initial bite (or so I thought).
You drove the PCCB car at PDE and were able to complete the task.
H/T on the street is fruitless...you are just not into braking HARD enough.
Old 02-11-2008, 01:00 PM
WAC
Instructor

I'm not worried too much about street driving h/t. My issue is at the autocross track where you need to h/t but often don't need to hammer the brakes like you do at the track where you need to really shed speed liking coming off a straight to a hairpin turn.

I've ordered the pedals from Rennline and the lifter plate. I'll let you know how they help or not. They're great pedals and look better than stock IMHO anyway so I can't lose...

Quick Reply: Heel/Toe Shifting with PCCB's