Sponsored by:

first road trip

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2008, 12:21 AM
pmgoodwin
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default first road trip

So earlier this afternoon I flew to FL and bought my first Porsche. A very well kept '05 C2S Cab. So after thinking about it I am driving the car back to Austin rather than shipping. I want it now and not in a week or so.

I got the car around 3:30 this afternoon and headed towards Orlando. Yeah, I know it's the wrong direction but I'm staying at my cousin's tonight. About a mile into the trip I run into traffic. 10 miles of 10mph. I want to fly but I'm getting nowhere fast. I'm considering this the "break-in period". I finally get on Rt 4 and get up to speed. Note to self: get a convertible friendly haircut. Picked up a classic rock station and cranked up the radio. Wind noise, what wind noise.

I gave a friend from Austin a call and he is going to fly out to meet me on my way home and we'll drive back together. This is going to be fun.
Old 02-08-2008, 12:30 AM
tkids
Pro

Enjoy this trip! Good for you to drive it home, the only way to do it!!!
Old 02-08-2008, 01:05 AM
sclemmons
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Fun trip. Florida panhandle. New Orleans. Gulf coast. Hope the weather is good. You should try it on Hy 90 and enjoy the history. Route 66 gets the press, but Hy 90 is hard to beat, especially in February. Peak season for oysters. Barbecue for a change.

Only shame is the lack of elevation change. Have fun.
Old 02-08-2008, 09:09 AM
MartyB
Racer

Sounds like a great trip. Enjoy and take some photos to share.
Old 02-08-2008, 10:16 AM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Road Trips are GREAT!!

Best decision on your part

ENJOY and post pics & impressions
Old 02-08-2008, 11:47 AM
roberga
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you should have a wind screen. It does a great job.
Old 02-08-2008, 12:56 PM
jnx
Three Wheelin'

Congrats on your new car, and good decision to drive it home. It should be fun.
Old 02-08-2008, 10:58 PM
WAC
Instructor

The 997 is a great road car as you're finding out! Have a great trip, take some pics and please post when you get home.

Tony
Old 02-08-2008, 11:20 PM
Vjgtrybno1
Rennlist Member

Still think about my 1000+ mile trip home last September with Great White. Congrats!
Old 02-09-2008, 01:38 PM
E55AMG
Rennlist Member

Received 672 Likes on 340 Posts

Still think about my trip home from Ohio - was a blast.

Stay off the interstates if possible. The US Hwy.'s are much more scenic and "intersting".
Old 02-10-2008, 02:29 AM
pmgoodwin
Racer

First I’d like to thank the group for the advice both on and off line.

I arrived home late this afternoon. What a trip. About 16 hours of driving and a night in New Orleans. It doesn’t get much better than this. I did remember to put the camera in my brief case but I didn’t take any pictures.

I started just north of Daytona Friday morning. Headed north to get Rt. 10 which I took all they way. My first stop for gas was at an exit where there also happened to be a Best Buy. I figured that I’d get a few CD’s for the ride. Then I remembered that I had a full iPod in my briefcase. So I got a FM transmitter instead. Then off to New Orleans. A friend was flying in from Austin to join me for the 2nd day of driving.

I learned a lot on this drive.:

1: Mandatory equipment: sun block! The part of my scalp formerly covered with hair got a little redder before I got SPF 70 on one of my pit stops.

2: Hair style: a convertible friendly haircut is in my future. The previous owner had shaved his head.

3: Sport mode: Turning off the sport mode feels like you just took your foot off the gas.

4: To have an iPod randomly pick Dylan’s Memphis Blues from 2000 songs while in a traffic jam in Mobile is eerie – “to be stuck inside of Mobile with the Memphis Blues…”

5: Resonance: with PASM “ON” the joints in the road on Rt. 10 in Mississippi cause the car to start bouncing severely. Turn it off and it settles down.

6: One can easily sit for 10 hours in the seats with only 3 pit stops.

7: Some of Dylan’s guitar licks sound exactly like the Valentine One alarms.

8: The key is on the other side.

9: Classic rock is the best music to drive cross country.

10: (some) Vette owners are jerks.

11: The joints in the road in Baton Rouge have the same beat as ZZ Top’s TUSH

12: the Charbroiled Oysters at the Acme Oyster House are worth the trip.

13: When partying on Bourbon Street remember to check your watch… It’s later than you think. If I went to Tulane I never would have graduated ;-)

14: Tipping the Valet when you give him the keys will result in special treatment.

15: The PSE sounds great even with a hangover and 3 hours sleep.

Driving it back was the right thing to do. I got a lot of time in the car and a lot of fun on the way. My only complaint is that I like the switchblade Keys. I’m always afraid I’m going to scratch the car with a conventional key in my hand.

Paul
Old 02-10-2008, 02:51 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,028 Likes on 730 Posts

Originally Posted by pmgoodwin
10: (some) Vette owners are jerks.
You'll be adding to that list as you add miles on your new ride. This car triggers more irrational road rage than anything else I ever drove. Can't imagine what Lambo and Ferrari drivers are exposed to.
Old 02-10-2008, 02:29 PM
ds2k1
Racer

pmgoodwin,

Love your story...there's some kind of male version of Thelma & Louise in there for sure. Get working on that screenplay. Makes me want to buy my next P-car back east just for the trip home.

Seems like every nice car has certain stereotypes we're all either fighting or contributing to. I share your opinion about 'Vette owners...not all, but some for sure. With that said, I'm sure there have been many Honda and Toyota owners that have watched me fly by them and thought to themselves, "What an a$$hole." I've also found that WRX and Evo owners have something to prove as well. There seems to be some commonly held opinion that all us Porsche owners bought our cars so we can go really fast in a straight line and, consequently, we were ripped off since other cars can do that better for cheaper.

Lastly, I, too, have noticed the rather eerily appropriate "random" selections of my iPod. Out of almost 5000 songs, it seems to always pick the most appropriate song for the moment. Honestly, what's up with that? Maybe it's not too late to invest in Apple after all?
Old 02-10-2008, 05:46 PM
WAC
Instructor

Originally Posted by pmgoodwin
14: Tipping the Valet when you give him the keys will result in special treatment.
OMIGOD! You let a Valet touch your car? Obviously you were imbibing!

Sounds like a great trip!

Tony
Old 02-11-2008, 12:18 AM
joninoc
Advanced

Thanks for tip #14. I learned the hard way. Drove to Vegas last week for a business trip. Stayed at the Planet Hollywood. Dropped the car with the valet and didn't see it for two days. When I checked out I was told it would take 30 minutes (very limited parking at this hotel even for valet). $20 had my car curbside almost immediately, which pissed off a lot of people, but it was well worth it. Would have loved to have seen some pictures of your trip, but a great story nonetheless. Enjoy the car.

Quick Reply: first road trip