Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil Usage Technical Bulletin

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2011, 06:50 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

Ronnie, I know you'll get flamed on here with your post...but...I am a Porsche owner that understands how you feel. I'm glad you are driving what you like. I too actually really like the current line of Vette's. I have friends that have them and we all track our cars.
I've had Vette's in the past, '87, '92, '94 and a '99. All with 6speeds except the 87 was the Doug Nash 4+3. I'd love to own a new Z06...but due to my circumstances these only come in manual. The Grand Sports and regual Vette's have an automatic but due to how I track the car a lot I am spoiled with the PDK Sequestial Dual Clutch in my current 2009 Carrera S. If Vette comes out with a reliable transmission like Porsche's PDK I too would have to give the Vette a serious hard look.
Old 02-09-2011, 07:34 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 396 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by RonnieTheC
I bought a new 2009 C2S Cab in November of 2009. Used a quart of oil every 500 miles. Took it to the dealeship where I bought the car and was told that since the owners manual says on page 288 that 1.6 quarts every 622 miles is acceptable usage, nothing could be done. I spoke to Porsche North America saying that no new car in this day and age should consume oil at that pace and they essentially told me to go get screwed. So after 4 months of ownership i dumped the Poreche and purchased another Corvette. a 2010 Grand Sport Convertible (my 10th Vette). So far, almost 11 months and 16,000 miles later, I have never had to add a drop of oil, and i change oil every 5000 miles. (cost $80.00 for a complete service). I must have been on drugs when I bought the Porsche. NEVER AGAIN!
If you do not care for Porsches why do you still spend time in a Porsche forum?!? Its masochistic on your part to torture yourself so much stil thinking about Porsches.

P.S. - I like Vettes too, and I can tell you horror stories about service mishaps and recurring issues too.
Old 02-09-2011, 07:36 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 396 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by mdrums
Correct this is not a DFI isse cause oil burning. We all see this as a problem but Porsche DOES NOT see this as a problem.
I agree with you Mike. PAG/PCNA have their heads in the sand re this issue.
Old 02-09-2011, 10:32 PM
RonnieTheC
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ADias
If you do not care for Porsches why do you still spend time in a Porsche forum?!? Its masochistic on your part to torture yourself so much stil thinking about Porsches.

P.S. - I like Vettes too, and I can tell you horror stories about service mishaps and recurring issues too.

I like almost all cars including Porsches. And I like to read and get info on many car forums. As for Porsches...they have many fine qualities.
Old 02-10-2011, 12:15 AM
gravedgr
Rennlist Member

Received 423 Likes on 217 Posts

I bought a new 2009 C2S Cab in November of 2009. Used a quart of oil every 500 miles. Took it to the dealeship where I bought the car and was told that since the owners manual says on page 288 that 1.6 quarts every 622 miles is acceptable usage, nothing could be done. I spoke to Porsche North America saying that no new car in this day and age should consume oil at that pace and they essentially told me to go get screwed. So after 4 months of ownership i dumped the Poreche and purchased another Corvette. a 2010 Grand Sport Convertible (my 10th Vette). So far, almost 11 months and 16,000 miles later, I have never had to add a drop of oil, and i change oil every 5000 miles. (cost $80.00 for a complete service). I must have been on drugs when I bought the Porsche. NEVER AGAIN!
So you logged onto the Porsche forum to tell us you're never going to own a Porsche again. Hmm..

Old 02-10-2011, 12:25 AM
Macster
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 222 Posts

A few years ago when I was looking into a Corvette there were enough complaints about oil consumption and piston slap to turn me away from one.

I will admit Chevy did seem to respond to the complaints somewhat better though the Porsche has. My memory from that time is more than one Corvette owner had the engine re-ringed or replaced to deal with excessive oil consumption or piston slap issues.

Chevy reportedly said the oil consumption arose from very low tension rings (to reduce engine friction) and high rpm usage, such as accelerating up to some rpm over 4K then coasting on closed throttle or the driver driving the car with the transmission in a real low gear

More than one owner claimed to have told Chevy that it advertised the car as a sports car and he was damn well going to drive it like one and it had better take it.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 02-10-2011, 11:51 AM
Lubrecon
Advanced

Could Porsche engines be two cycle in disguise???
Old 02-10-2011, 12:25 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by Lubrecon
Could Porsche engines be two cycle in disguise???

Maybe we should start mixing it in with the fuel!
Old 02-10-2011, 01:00 PM
Fin Fever
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

what do I care if it burns oil? I don't get why this has people so upset. If an engine is designed with tight piston/cylinder seals to not burn oil, then burning oil is a bad sign, probably that the engine is at the end of its life. This is totally different than if the engine is designed to have looser fitting pistons and allow a little oil to blow by and burn. if that is how it has been engineered, and the engines last for over 100,000 miles functioning that way, why do people get so fired up about adding a little oil periodically.

Some engines are just made that way. The Detroits on my boat use several quarts of oil per month. that is how they are designed, and Detroit owners seem to come to grips with it. they are great engines, and that is what they do.
Old 02-10-2011, 01:05 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

I believe that the issue is not so much that they use oil, but that every owner is experiencing a difference. Some use absolutely no oil whatsoever, while others need constant attention to the oil level gauge. The vast majority use no oil, but there is a sizable number which do use a considerable amount of oil, comparatively. The point is that Porsche clearly engineered it to take the usual low amount of oil, yet, some samples take a lot more. Why, if they are such an engineering powerhouse, is there such variability in the oil consumption.
Old 02-10-2011, 01:25 PM
Fin Fever
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Edgy01
I believe that the issue is not so much that they use oil, but that every owner is experiencing a difference. Some use absolutely no oil whatsoever, while others need constant attention to the oil level gauge. The vast majority use no oil, but there is a sizable number which do use a considerable amount of oil, comparatively. The point is that Porsche clearly engineered it to take the usual low amount of oil, yet, some samples take a lot more. Why, if they are such an engineering powerhouse, is there such variability in the oil consumption.
Like ladies, they all have somewhat different needs, but they are beautiful in their own unique way.
Old 02-10-2011, 04:20 PM
Lubrecon
Advanced

Those Detroits are two cycle.
Old 02-10-2011, 05:00 PM
Chris from Cali
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

This is my favorite Corvette: The Z06 DIY Targa model... MMMMM I love the smell of fiberglass in the morning. Smells like.... LEAF SPRINGS!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oeO56-smgxI
Old 02-10-2011, 05:42 PM
Minok
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I spoke to Porsche North America saying that no new car in this day and age should consume oil at that pace ...
That goes to the heart of the matter. The only one who is in a position to really determine how much oil an engine should consume is the manufacturer, who designs the engine. If they really don't see the consumption as a problem, its not a problem. Who are we to say "no engine should consume that much oil"? Based on what? That somehow very low oil consumption is the "right way for all engines to behave"? I'm not buying it.

If "oil consumption" is the thing you evaluate the quality of a vehicle on, then buy a vehicle that has historically not consumed much oil and get that configuration.

If you buy a vehicle for the look, feel, features, performance, and the amount of fluids consumed is a cost of ownership (ever owned a British or Italian car?)... then just accept it.

Neither of those positions is right or wrong. Its personal choice about what you value. Just don't demand that a car manufacture build a car and engine to your exacting specifications. If you want that, build your own car.
Old 02-10-2011, 05:48 PM
Minok
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Edgy01
Why, if they are such an engineering powerhouse, is there such variability in the oil consumption.
My guess is that because we as drivers, drive the cars with a much greater variability in the day-to-day, month-to-month life of the car, than cars from other makes, and that a some of the variance may be attributed to the driver of the cars and how its used.

Quick Reply: Oil Usage Technical Bulletin