Sponsored by:

Oil Usage Technical Bulletin

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2011, 06:54 AM
Dervish
Rennlist Member

Received 135 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by Bonster
Another question . . . perhaps more of a statement . . . a friend of mind was looking at buying his first Porsche about a year ago. Well, he settled on a 996 with 'all the bells and whistles'. He went to check on the oil level and found it does not have a dipstick? WTF? That is the most insane thing I have ever heard. Is this true in all of the later 911s or just the 'all the bells and whistles' ones? He said he can only see the oil level via the computer / dashboard. I have yet to see inside his car, but this just sounds flat out SCARY to me.

So now you all have something to talk about. THANKS!!! for any insight!
I believe the Turbo has no dipstick, just the dash display...
Old 01-31-2011, 11:10 AM
gravedgr
Rennlist Member

Received 423 Likes on 217 Posts

The only dipstick in my car is behind the wheel.
Old 01-31-2011, 02:01 PM
Jastx
Three Wheelin'

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by gravedgr
The only dipstick in my car is behind the wheel.
Old 01-31-2011, 03:17 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by Edgy01
I don't believe that the break in method is going to make any difference. We see many boxer engines of the watercooled variety now using an excess amount of oil. I have broken in other Porsche engines (all air cooled 911s) and never experienced the sort of excessive oil usage the 997S.1 has demonstrated. I'm not one to take it easy, either, on the rpms. I believe it's based upon a tolerance stack that occasionally manifests itself in the normal routine of engine building. Some of us luck out and get a great engine. And some of us get oil hogs. If the driver is the same across many samples (and consistent with their engine break in regiment) then the only other variable is mechanical.
For the majority of owners I agree. Most will just buy the car and drive it and all will be ok.

For a few though due to whatever the factors are the engine will not break in quite right. For the majority of these owners a bit of special treatment is called for.

I attended a Porsche dealership tech session the other day and this subject came up regarding a new (IIRC) Cayenne. The tech took all the info (I didn't hear all of this but heavy oil consumption was one symptom) and submitted the info to the factory.

The factory's response was that the vehicle needed to be driven in such a way to help seat the rings. There might have been some specific steps suggested by the factory but I was sort of half paying attention cause I didn't think I'd need this info this soon and if there were I didn't get them. But the next time I'm at the dealership I can ask the tech for specifics.

The tech relayed what the factory said to the owner and the tech offered either his or the SM to do the driving but the owner said he'd rather do it.

And for a few, very few thankfully (but not zero unfortunately), no matter what they do, or the factory advises them to do, the engine's going to use more oil than the norm.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 01-31-2011, 03:29 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by Bonster
Another question . . . perhaps more of a statement . . . a friend of mind was looking at buying his first Porsche about a year ago. Well, he settled on a 996 with 'all the bells and whistles'. He went to check on the oil level and found it does not have a dipstick? WTF? That is the most insane thing I have ever heard. Is this true in all of the later 911s or just the 'all the bells and whistles' ones? He said he can only see the oil level via the computer / dashboard. I have yet to see inside his car, but this just sounds flat out SCARY to me.

So now you all have something to talk about. THANKS!!! for any insight!
My 03 Turbo has just the in-dash oil level display and I don't find it scary at all. I find it a nice modern feature one that really wished some of my other (now gone) cars had had.

How archaic to say get out of a nice hot looking Torrid Red GTO (2006) with red hot leather interior at a gas station to fill up the gas tank and then like someone with an old Ford pickup have to open the hood and fumble about in the engine compartment with the dipstick with a paper towel to check the oil level. Bad enough in nice weather, but if the car's wet from rain or driving in winter weather, what a chance to get my office clothes all messy. (Traded in the 06 GTO for an 08 Cayman S with no dipstick...)

Even though my 02 Boxster has a dipstick I only use it to when I change the oil ensure the oil level is ok before I start the engine.

But even this is unnecessary. At oil change time is the time at which the oil level sensor/display system is verified to be operating correctly. This is done by adding the recommended amount of oil -- after a normal oil change drain process -- then verifying the oil level display is correct. Too high or too low and the sensor or some other portion of the oil level display system circuit is goofy.

What I find scary is that more people don't realize how an oil change is no longer just a simple drain the oil, replace the filter, and pour in some new oil and go. But I'd rather have to put up with (or the tech put up with) a bit of extra work at oil change time to ensure the system is working ok than to have to use a dipstick to check the oil level in my Porsches.

I wish all fluid levels were viewable from inside the car at the dash.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 01-31-2011, 05:22 PM
Minok
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by 911Dave

What's the big deal? You guys blew $100k or so on a car and you're complaining about having to add $5 of oil once in a while?
If all I did was putter around the town, thats just fine.. no big deal.

But if I go on a cross country road trip, I'm going to have to stock motor OIL (several quarts... maybe a case?) in my car ?

If such high rate of oil consumption is to be expected, then why wouldn't the damn car have a built in storage compartment in the frunk in some of the available space to place standard 1qt bottles of oil? I'd think that across the world, those oil cans are now standard shape/size.

If I cannot drive across the country and back without the 'add oil' warning light coming on, I'd expect a more integrated storage of spare oil in the car.
Old 01-31-2011, 06:52 PM
Bijan
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Minok,
Actually it does exist in my 997.2 CS
It fits perfectly in the middle of the "tool compartment"
Old 02-01-2011, 05:05 PM
Minok
Drifting

Bijan,

what is the 'tool compartment'?
Old 02-01-2011, 05:21 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Minok
Bijan,

what is the 'tool compartment'?
Like so, in the frunk. Mine came with a first aid kit there but you could keep a quart of oil in that spot instead.
Attached Images   
Old 02-01-2011, 05:40 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 394 Likes on 270 Posts

^ Or... in the compartment above (with access through the snap-on doors in front or on top). There's lots of empty space up front.
Old 02-01-2011, 06:54 PM
Bijan
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Mike.
We don't get the first aid kit, so that is where I keep the oil
Old 02-01-2011, 07:10 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 232 Likes on 127 Posts

I'd love to hear the factory "break in" method. I'm no whimp when it comes to running through the gears, and I'm STILL not broken in at 55,000 miles!
Old 02-01-2011, 10:28 PM
FlatSix911
Nordschleife Master

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Also add a can of Fix a Flat ...
Old 02-01-2011, 10:41 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by FlatSix911
Also add a can of Fix a Flat ...
Yeah, sadly that's what's in the bag on the right. Have to do for now but getting a real spare tire kit for trips pretty soon.
Old 02-02-2011, 06:24 PM
Minok
Drifting

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
Like so, in the frunk. Mine came with a first aid kit there but you could keep a quart of oil in that spot instead.

I guess thats my point. In the US, we don't have a floor like that in the 997.2 (2009). We have no space for a first aid kit (since its not mandated since it incurs liability and lawsuits in our society), and hence no space.

I'm wondering if the frunk floor could be modded to have that space... thats my point I guess... why doesn't Porsche provide a standard slot in there for two one-quart bottles of oil? I could find a place to shoe-horn a quart in.. but if the cars are burning that much, why isn't there a designated space for it?

(one could of course, argue thats why the make the oil reservoir/pan/system big enough to have the ability to fill and run down as far as it can before more is needed... but still, when you get warning you need to then be able to 'add some' and then begin to 'look for more' to replenish your stock. If you don't have a spare bottle, you would be driving with low oil who knows how long .. unless the idea is you should look for some once the indicator blinks.. but you don't see that unless you check it ... which you won't while driving!)

Here is what my 2009 frunk floor looks like: (note: no extra space for squat)

Do we need to replace the frunk floor insert with a european one as well?

Quick Reply: Oil Usage Technical Bulletin