Sponsored by:

Things I did not know, notice or other 997 "A-HA!" moments

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2008, 04:56 PM
KeninBlaine
Drifting

Received 29 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by p-cardriver
I presume you know that you can press Audio and then scroll down to mute and check it. Not exactly the quick action you want usually for mute, although I am getting faster with each use.

And if you didn't know that, well then Ah-ha!

p-cardriver
Isn't it amazing that with about 52 buttons and *****, they couldn't provide some useful ones to simplify the use of the radio, like easily scan for stations etc. Whoever designed the PCM must have previously worked for Microsoft.
Old 01-30-2008, 05:00 PM
p-cardriver
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mitch236
Won't that turn off the nav as well?
It does turn off everything on mine. I've been meaning to re-RTFM to see if there is a short-cut mute anywhere that leaves the other screens on. Also, of course just turning the volume all the way down works...

p-cardriver
Old 01-30-2008, 05:01 PM
p-cardriver
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by keninirvine
Isn't it amazing that with about 52 buttons and *****, they couldn't provide some useful ones to simplify the use of the radio, like easily scan for stations etc. Whoever designed the PCM must have previously worked for Microsoft.
Agree! And taking your word on the button/**** count. Some say when I'm in the car there is one more ****. I don't understand how that could happen (LOL)!

p-cardriver
Old 01-30-2008, 05:14 PM
mitch236
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by p-cardriver
Also, of course just turning the volume all the way down works...

p-cardriver
Of course but then the voice over is gone as well. It amazes me that while many of the features of the modern Porsche are well though out, the radios have always been behind the times or very difficult to work with. Just think about how long it took to get a decent iPod adaptor!
Old 01-30-2008, 06:00 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

Clearly, much of the PCM system was outsourced. It's not "Porsche-like" in their engineering approach.

One thing that I find humorous is that if you chose to input a destination in latitude and longitude you have to input first in longitude, and then in latitude. That is contrary to every navigational system (including aircraft) in the entire world. Who do they talk to?? (Perhaps this is only in the extended navigation module).
Old 01-30-2008, 06:06 PM
ibmiked
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

While we're on the PCM, why do some of the station presets show the station's frequency and some just show letters? (Yeah I know RTFM).
Old 01-30-2008, 06:08 PM
Leader
Rennlist Member

Received 532 Likes on 166 Posts

While I agree the PCM could use some "common sense" adjustments, it's far superior to the BMW iDrive set-up, which has literally taken functions that used to operate with one button and turned them into multiple-screen-select-and-click nightmares. Not fun on a packed freeway running at 75-mph.
Old 01-30-2008, 06:16 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 454 Likes on 230 Posts

Originally Posted by ibmiked
While we're on the PCM, why do some of the station presets show the station's frequency and some just show letters? (Yeah I know RTFM).
Like sometimes it will say 100.1 FM and other times it shows WRTFM?
I believe the numbers always show up when you first select the station and then the PTY signal is shown (e.g. WRTFM or alternating with frequency).
Old 01-30-2008, 08:29 PM
cole328
Three Wheelin'

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

That contrary to my ex-wife's opinion, my pen-s did not immediately become smaller upon purchasing a p-car...ha
Old 01-30-2008, 08:56 PM
Carrera 69
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The most disappointing A-Ha! was not finding a dipstick!
Old 01-30-2008, 08:57 PM
dndodd
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Kevin K
That the car will not stay under the posted speed limit on any highway despite my 30+ years of conservative, no ticket, driving. This has to be a design flaw.
Yeah I have that problem too. Something about the century mark every time I drive it.
Old 01-30-2008, 09:15 PM
p-cardriver
Burning Brakes

Default ah ha!

Originally Posted by mitch236
Of course but then the voice over is gone as well. It amazes me that while many of the features of the modern Porsche are well though out, the radios have always been behind the times or very difficult to work with. Just think about how long it took to get a decent iPod adaptor!

Thought you were right, but went out this evening and turned on both the Nav and radio. When I turned the radio volume all the way down, the nav still chatted.

Here's the ah-ha: if you adjust the volume while the nav is speaking, it adjusts the volume of the nav (use the repeat button if you find the timing a challenge). You have to do this durning the voice instruction - not before and not after. If you adjust the volume while the radio/cd is playing, it adjusts that. So by playing with both, you can manage the degree of interruption (voice over volume) from the Nav. This also can be set in one of the setup menus, but I think its easier to do it with the voice/music active.

p-cardriver
Old 01-30-2008, 09:21 PM
Kevin K
Instructor

dndodd,

I think I'm figuring out the logic flow that makes the car exceed the speed limit:

a) If going the speed limit only, minivans will pass you -- car is not designed to be readily passed.

b) If exceeding speed limit, but going with traffic flow, small % of other drivers will still pass you and snicker because you're in the Porsche -- car is not designed to be snickered at.

c) If going faster than the other cars to avoid the passing problem, some moron in a '78 Camaro will undoubtedly speed up, tail gate and then pass and cut -- car is not designed to be shown up by morons who have dice and/or high school tassels hanging from rear view mirror.

d) Only way to avoid a,b, and c is to drive faster than the others around you at all times.

A-HA!!! It's pure engineering logic programmed into the car's DNA.

Apologies to cloth dice and tassel hangers everywhere.
Old 01-30-2008, 09:34 PM
cole328
Three Wheelin'

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

+1 to Kevin
Old 01-31-2008, 01:26 AM
Michael911
8th Gear

OK this is a small a-hah. If the radio is off you can turn it on without having to take your hands off the steering wheel, provided you have a multi fuction wheel, just press the right hand side thumb wheel in and the radio/nav goes on.

Quick Reply: Things I did not know, notice or other 997 "A-HA!" moments