Sponsored by:

Sports Chronos

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2008, 12:48 PM
doctorpcar
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sports Chronos

The only thing I find attractive about this option is the throttle remapping. Is there any warranty safe way of achieving this without ordering this option?
Old 01-29-2008, 01:08 PM
Le Chef
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The real benefit is not the throttle mapping which gives you absolutely zip in terms of performance, but the loosening of PSM which increases slip angles. Which means you can hang the back out some more.

There may be a chip that can change the throttle sensitivity but it's highly unlikely to be covered by Porsche warranty!
Old 01-29-2008, 02:27 PM
Typ997S
Advanced

Originally Posted by doctorpcar
The only thing I find attractive about this option is the throttle remapping. Is there any warranty safe way of achieving this without ordering this option?
IMHO, the throttle re-map is not useful. The throttle is plenty sensitive as-is...I already have trouble with axle hop and banging into the rev limiter in 1st! Also, if you're tracking, lower sensitivity is better to modulate the throttle if you're "steering" with the throttle.

Now, the adjustments it makes to the active suspension, that's useful!
Old 01-29-2008, 02:32 PM
Nugget
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Typ997S
IMHO, the throttle re-map is not useful. . . Now, the adjustments it makes to the active suspension, that's useful!
I agree completely that the throttle remap is a downside, not an upside. It's just too twitchy and doesn't add any performance to the car at all (for manual -- if you're in a Tiptronic then there is a good case to be made for the Sport Chrono).

Just to clarify, however, the Sport Chrono does not, itself, make any adjustments to the active suspension. Any car with PASM, whether it has the Sport Chrono or not, has the same capabilities and range of suspension settings. I wouldn't want someone to draw the incorrect conclusion that having Sport Chrono makes PASM more useful in some way. It doesn't.
Old 01-29-2008, 02:34 PM
Typ997S
Advanced

Originally Posted by Nugget
I agree completely that the throttle remap is a downside, not an upside. It's just too twitchy and doesn't add any performance to the car at all (for manual -- if you're in a Tiptronic then there is a good case to be made for the Sport Chrono).

Just to clarify, however, the Sport Chrono does not, itself, make any adjustments to the active suspension. Any car with PASM, whether it has the Sport Chrono or not, has the same capabilities and range of suspension settings. I wouldn't want someone to draw the incorrect conclusion that having Sport Chrono makes PASM more useful in some way. It doesn't.
My mistake...do PASM cars w/o sport chrono still have the shock button to stiffen the suspension?
Old 01-29-2008, 02:52 PM
911Dave
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

My mistake...do PASM cars w/o sport chrono still have the shock button to stiffen the suspension?
Yes, there is a PASM button for cars without sport chrono.

Sport Chrono is absolutely the most overrated option in the book, IMO. The only thing I would find useful is the seat position memory function, but since I'm the only one that drives my car the decision to omit SC from the options list was easy.
Old 01-29-2008, 02:55 PM
Le Chef
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Yes

And if you have PSE you get a seperate button for that too. The only thing you don't get is the "1/2" setting for PSM.
Old 01-29-2008, 03:26 PM
doctorpcar
Instructor

What is the point of the 1/2 half PSM setting? Would anyone ever miss this?
Old 01-29-2008, 03:52 PM
cviles
Unique Title
Rennlist Member

Received 111 Likes on 78 Posts

What is the point of the 1/2 half PSM setting? Would anyone ever miss this?
The "1/2" setting merely raises the threshold at which PSM will step and and attempt to sort the car out for you. You can slide the car around a bit more than you can with PSM in normal mode. It's more fun on the street and a little more useful at the track if you don't want to give up your PSM safety net.
Old 01-29-2008, 03:58 PM
doctorpcar
Instructor

so PSM can't be completely disabled as it can be in some other high performance marquees?
Old 01-29-2008, 04:26 PM
Likemystoppie?
Banned

so PSM can't be completely disabled as it can be in some other high performance marquees?

PSM "OFF" = it's all on you.
Old 01-29-2008, 04:29 PM
doctorpcar
Instructor

Originally Posted by Likemystoppie?
PSM "OFF" = it's all on you.
Yeah but that doesn't answer my question. Are you saying it can't be turned 100% off? If so is that because the rear engine layout of pcar is just much more dangerous in that state than say an M5 with stability off?
Old 01-29-2008, 05:04 PM
Nugget
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

In a non-Sport Chrono car there are two PSM settings: on and off.
In a Sport-Chrono equipped car there are three PSM settings: on, not quite off, and off.

When I bought my 911, trading up from a BMW, I was quite enthused about having the "not quite off" setting that comes from the Sport Chrono. This is because the "on" setting for stability control on my ///M was ridiculously invasive and disruptive to spirited driving. In practice, though, I have found that PSM ON in the 911 still allows me to drive in a spirited manner. It allows a fair bit of drift and slide before it kicks in and I'm not really as tempted to drive around in sport mode as I had expected to be. It's nothing like the DSC was in my ///M Roadster.

That said, if you want another level of stability control, that is the one tangible benefit you get from the Sport Chrono.

Last edited by Nugget; 01-29-2008 at 05:08 PM. Reason: Added thoughts.
Old 01-29-2008, 05:50 PM
mitch236
Rennlist Member

You cannot completely disable PSM. Even when you turn it off, it can turn itself back on if the computer decides you are in iminent danger. That is why most serious track junkies don't like it.
Old 01-29-2008, 07:12 PM
JFScheck
Addict
Rennlist Member

Most serious "track junkies" just don't understand it...

Quick Reply: Sports Chronos