Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Will dealers sell you a CPO on a car you bought privately?

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2008, 03:04 PM
YYC930
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dealers I know will do it, they will buy the car from the vendor and resell it to you....but IMHO the CPO warranty is crap anyways. I would not pay for it.

Last edited by YYC930; 01-29-2008 at 04:30 PM.
Old 01-29-2008, 03:24 PM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,037 Likes on 734 Posts

Originally Posted by mitch236
Wouldn't you have to pay sales tax and titling fees? Also, wouldn't that add to the number of owners?

Yes and yes but no big deal imo. In Florida we only pay sales tax on the difference between the trade in allowance and the new car which in this case would be $2,000 or a tax bill of about $130. Add titling fees and the total cost probably ends up around $2,200. As for additional owners, I don't see a problem with it since this transaction would be documented and easily verfied for exactly what it is - paperwork technicalities. All that said.....I'll probably trade up to a newer car instead of going through with this. Just pointing out that contrary to what some on the thread insist on, this not only can be done but is done on a regular basis.
Old 01-29-2008, 07:07 PM
intheloop700
Track Day

Originally Posted by GSIRM3
I do not think that is true. I have been told by two different dealers that they do make money on the CPO.
Not true. There is a set cost associated with CPO, plus the dealer's cost of reconditioning to make the car qualify for CPO. If the car needs no new tires, battery, etc, the dealer's actual cost to CPO a car is under $2k. But on the actual cost of certification that he is billed by Porsche (directly through their parts department) there is no mark up.
Old 01-29-2008, 07:11 PM
malammik
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by YYC930
Dealers I know will do it, they will buy the car from the vendor and resell it to you....but IMHO the CPO warranty is crap anyways. I would not pay for it.
Can you be more specific about this? I thought CPO covers everything that the original manufacturer warranty does and that it essentially extends it. Is that not the case?
Old 01-29-2008, 07:40 PM
Likemystoppie?
Banned

^^^^^ I'm interested in that as well. Specific details would be nice.
Old 01-29-2008, 07:46 PM
Likemystoppie?
Banned

Exclamation

Originally Posted by intheloop700
Not true. There is a set cost associated with CPO, plus the dealer's cost of reconditioning to make the car qualify for CPO. If the car needs no new tires, battery, etc, the dealer's actual cost to CPO a car is under $2k. But on the actual cost of certification that he is billed by Porsche (directly through their parts department) there is no mark up.

+1. CPO is charged directly to the CPO'ing dealer and given TO PCNA. The actual 'cost' to CPO a car is the $ given to PCNA+parts and labor.

Typical 997 CPO cost's from $1800 to $2,700. 9.5 times out of 10 the car at a minimum needs 4 new tires.

Each dealer is set up differently. Based on 'ownership' and where they want to make their money.

For us, Parts/Service charges us the cost's (their cost's) to CPO a car. We then mark up the car for retail sales.

But for someone to say that there's no cost associated with CPO'ing a car is just unexperienced and/or nieve.

Every dealership is ran in 3 major componet's. 1) Sales 2) Service and 3) Parts. Each one is run as a seperate division with their own unique quota's and agenda's. Each one charges the other if parts/services are rendered.
Old 01-30-2008, 01:29 PM
intheloop700
Track Day

Originally Posted by malammik
Can you be more specific about this? I thought CPO covers everything that the original manufacturer warranty does and that it essentially extends it. Is that not the case?
CPO does not extend the factory bumper to bumper warranty. It is stated coverage only. Ask your P dealer service department for a copy of the parts identifier bulletin for CPO that states which specific components are covered by CPO. If it ain't on the list, Porsche doesn't cover it.
Old 01-30-2008, 01:45 PM
Likemystoppie?
Banned

Exclamation

CPO does not extend the factory bumper to bumper warranty. It is stated coverage only. Ask your P dealer service department for a copy of the parts identifier bulletin for CPO that states which specific components are covered by CPO. If it ain't on the list, Porsche doesn't cover it.
This is exactly true! I can fax anyone a copy of it.
Old 01-30-2008, 01:45 PM
GSIRM3
Drifting

Received 64 Likes on 39 Posts

I did not mean to infer that there was a guaranteed profit for the dealer for CPOing the car. But, I have had dealer sales people tell me that they add about $1,000 to the asking price of the car, above the cost to them to CPO the car, because they think they can get it since the car is a CPO car. There is no guarantee they will get the extra $1,000, but many try to.
Old 01-30-2008, 01:56 PM
intheloop700
Track Day

Originally Posted by GSIRM3
So how do you know they don't still mark it up? There is no MSRP sticker for a used car. The cost to the dealer may be fixed, but who is to say they don't add an extra $1,000 to the price of the car because they think they can get it because the car is CPO?
Well, clearly, the dealer will probably try to make more margin on a CPO car because there is some value there, too, knowing you won't need new tires or an oil change 4 months after you buy it. But it's not like an extended warranty contract where the dealer can make margin on the cost of the warranty.

With an extended service contract, the dealer is selling a product. With CPO, the dealer is selling a CPO vehicle, not a service contract. Just go into your negotiation on a CPO car knowing that whatever the dealer bought the car for (usually one of the black book numbers), he added probably $2k minimum in cost to the vehicle in order to get the car in CPO condition.
Old 01-31-2008, 11:14 PM
mkk62
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I am new today to rennlist...I did buy a car from 1000 miles away, 997s with every option msrp 105k a 2005, bought it a yr ago, for 80k. it also had fabspeed intake(which i changed), headers, extra set of wheels and ps2's ) he was getting the new gt3 rs and his dealership was willing to buy it from hima dn sell to me for an additional 2ooo bucks for get cpo....he got the benefit of tax break off the new gt3 RS..
but the dealership wanted to please their very loyal client, i doubt most would simply get cpo for you without some incentive...

mk
Old 02-01-2008, 12:25 AM
doctorpcar
Instructor

wait. Cpo is nog worth the money? Please be more explicit. This is the first i heard of it.
Old 02-01-2008, 09:39 AM
mkk62
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

i think CPO def worth it!
mk

Quick Reply: Will dealers sell you a CPO on a car you bought privately?