Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How much of a deposit do folks put down?

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2008, 10:32 AM
nkhalidi
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by doctorpcar
Unless there is a category of credit check that does not show up on your report and somehow magically derives your ss# from your license, something that is simply not possible nor legal through regular commercial enterprise.
Agreed 100%. I've been on dozens of test drives while leaving copies of my DL at the dealership, and I've never had a ding on my credit report. I'd be interested to see where jnx got his information.

That said, there are some dealers who demand a credit check prior to the test drive in order to determine - or so they say - if the test-driver has the wherewithal to pay for the car should he ball it up. I don't believe that. I think they do the credit check so when you return from the test drive, the finance manager can tell you the "great news" that you can "get in the car for just $xxx/mo."
Old 01-28-2008, 10:33 AM
jnx
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Unless there is a category of credit check that does not show up on your report and somehow magically derives your ss# from your license, something that is simply not possible nor legal through regular commercial enterprise.
I'm just trying to help, I really don't care if you believe it or not. But do your homework and check with Equifax, have you heard of them?

You may or may not get the whole story if you ask a salesman at the dealership.
Old 01-28-2008, 10:41 AM
nkhalidi
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by jnx
I'm just trying to help, I really don't care if you believe it or not. But do your homework and check with Equifax, have you heard of them?
No reason to get combative, we're just trying to clarify things. I'd be interested to learn what evidence you have that Equifax can run a full-on credit report from merely a DL# and neither a SS# nor a signature.

I've run both Experian and Equifax credit reports in the last 30 days, and I don't have any dings from test drives, and I've test-driven cars in some sketchy locales in my day . For that matter, I've run other people's Equifax reports and never seen a ding from a test drive.
Old 01-28-2008, 10:53 AM
doctorpcar
Instructor

Originally Posted by jnx

You may or may not get the whole story if you ask a salesman at the dealership.
Re-read what I wrote, I have a 3 beurau report, including Equifax, and NEVER get a credit hit from umpteen test drives in Porsches, Audis, BMWs, Ferraris, etc.

I never asked a salesman, I know for a fact. Could you explain how one could even pull credit using a DL? It's just not possible as DL has ZERO to do with your credit. Why do you think it is that when you apply for auto insurance they ask for your SS#? So they can check your credit. They have your DL as well, if that was all it took they wouldn't ask for SS#.

Your info is wrong.
Old 01-28-2008, 10:54 AM
doctorpcar
Instructor

Yeah a credit hit means that you are applying for credit. It has a negative effect (potentially) on your score. If you could be hurt by a test drive, just imagine how skewed everyone's credit would be. Seeking credit and seeking a better understanding of a car that you may in fact pay cash for are two different things.

The credit score can not be meaningful if it considers the latter.
Old 01-28-2008, 11:43 AM
Ucube
Three Wheelin'

If I understand correctly, there's no way to obtain a person's credit report/info without a social security number. However, I believe you can get just the credit score with only the driver's license. The dealer doesn't care so much about the details of your credit history, but rather your ranking within the scale. Checking the credit score isn't the same as applying for credit, so there's no resulting impact whatsoever on your credit score.
Old 01-28-2008, 12:34 PM
MartyB
Racer

Back to the original subject, my sales mgr told me he needed a $2,500 deposit on my 95k MSRP C2S order and he would not take less - I asked. He did tell me that he would apply my deposit toward the purchase of an '09 car if I changed my mind and wanted to order an '09. Unless I hear of some amazing changes to the facelift car, I'll be sticking with what I've got.
Old 01-28-2008, 12:39 PM
Da Hapa
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

You cannot run credit without explicit signature from the person and a social security # ,the license has neither.
Actually, in the United States you can run a credit report without an explicit signature. However, doing so would be illegal.
Old 01-28-2008, 12:52 PM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 823 Likes on 506 Posts

for a ~95k msrp c4s?
Paid $500 deposit for a delivery slot which increased to $2,000 when the spec was confirmed for production. For Euro delivery I had to pay the balance 30 days prior to delivery.
Old 01-28-2008, 12:55 PM
mitch236
Rennlist Member

About credit it is my understanding that there are two types of inquiries. One is a solicited inquiry where you apply for credit. The other is unsolicited. That is when some cc company runs a basic report to send you a "You've been approved" letter. The latter has NO affect on your score. If you want more information, myfico.com has a forum where you can answer all (or many) of your credit score questions.

BTW, if a dealer ran my credit without my written permission and it impacted my score, I would sue them.
Old 01-28-2008, 01:12 PM
Likemystoppie?
Banned

Originally Posted by jnx
It is a fact that they run your credit rating with your drivers license. Another thing you may or may not know is that if you do this many times over a month or 2 it can actually have a negative effect on your credit rating.
Originally Posted by Lotus350
I been told that same dealers actually run your credit report during the test drive (that's why they ask for your driver's license and make a copy) so they know who they are dealing with.
Running your credit to check your FICO with OUT a signed document clearly stating that you've given them permission to do so is ILLEGAL. Unfortunately, good luck finding a Police department to enforce it. You'd have to contact the DA and see what they say.

We take a copy of your drivers license and you SIGN a document stating you'll be a good driver and will not break the law. And if you get into an accident you're responsible-not us. So it's purely for insurance purposes.

Any dealer who pulls your credit with OUT your consent is a shady one IMO. And I'd run like hell outta there.
Old 01-28-2008, 02:03 PM
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 196 Likes on 131 Posts

Because I had a paint to sample car my dealer required 5k which he kept for 9 months while I waited. I did not have any problems with that as I had Porshe fever really really bad.
Old 01-28-2008, 02:09 PM
mitch236
Rennlist Member

BTW, back on topic, my dealer only needed $1000 to order the 997 GT-3 but then they could have sold it no problem if I backed out.
Old 01-28-2008, 02:28 PM
Ucube
Three Wheelin'

Are we talking about the initial deposit for a factory order or actually finalizing a purchase? I put down 35% when I purchased mine.
Old 01-28-2008, 02:30 PM
mitch236
Rennlist Member

I think we are talking about initial deposit to order car. I paid cash.

Quick Reply: How much of a deposit do folks put down?