Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New 997 owner

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2008, 03:01 PM
Kevin K
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To each their own - I think the 997 cab is the best looking convertible on the road with the top down. Top up, well a coupe is always going to look better.

Boxster, 90% as good? Extrapolating that just a bit, wouldn't that mean that a Cayman is basically 90%as "good" as a Carrera coupe for a helluva lot less money? "Good" is a tough term to define.
Old 01-27-2008, 11:31 AM
Putt-Putt
Pro

Received 251 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by Kevin K
..wouldn't that mean that a Cayman is basically 90%as "good" as a Carrera coupe for a helluva lot less money? "Good" is a tough term to define.
Good is easy to grok. It's good the Base Boxster weighs 2866 lbs. It's good that it's mid engine. It's good that it's better balanced than a 911. It's good that it costs almost thiry thousand dollars less than a base Carrera.

The base 911 is a better car, but only a little better for a 'helluva lot' more money.
Old 01-27-2008, 12:42 PM
Kevin K
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm still not sure if you're suggesting then that a Cayman is 90% as good as a Carrera coupe. I'm not a car expert by any means, but I read that the Cayman is basically a coupe version of a Boxster.

What I do know is that the basic tenets of economics always apply. If a Cayman cost exactly the same as a Carrera, no one would ever buy the Cayman. If, as you suggest, the Cayman and the Boxster were really 90% as good as the Carrera coupe and Carrera cab respectively, but cost $30K+ less, then no one would buy the Carreras. Carreras seem to sell just fine, though.

So why do they? They do because there is something that makes your definition of "good" faulty. Maybe it's pedigree, prestige, the shape of the metal, whatever, but people value the Carerra far more than the "only 10% better" you suggest. You might be right on weight, horsepower, etc, you obviously know more about that than I do. But the Caymans and Boxsters can't be 90% as "good" and sell for 50% or so less.

So my point was that "good" is hard to define, because there is something going on that makes the Carreras a helluva lot more valuable. If you could really define "almost as good," you could be the guy setting prices for Porsche and optimizing their supply and demand curves. Sweet job, that would be.

In any case, I respect your opinion.

Kevin

Last edited by Kevin K; 01-27-2008 at 12:44 PM. Reason: typo
Old 01-27-2008, 03:57 PM
Putt-Putt
Pro

Received 251 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by Kevin K
I'm still not sure if you're suggesting then that a Cayman is 90% as good as a Carrera coupe. I'm not a car expert by any means, but I read that the Cayman is basically a coupe version of a Boxster.

What I do know is that the basic tenets of economics always apply. If a Cayman cost exactly the same as a Carrera, no one would ever buy the Cayman. If, as you suggest, the Cayman and the Boxster were really 90% as good as the Carrera coupe and Carrera cab respectively, but cost $30K+ less, then no one would buy the Carreras. Carreras seem to sell just fine, though.

So why do they? They do because there is something that makes your definition of "good" faulty. Maybe it's pedigree, prestige, the shape of the metal, whatever, but people value the Carerra far more than the "only 10% better" you suggest. You might be right on weight, horsepower, etc, you obviously know more about that than I do. But the Caymans and Boxsters can't be 90% as "good" and sell for 50% or so less.

So my point was that "good" is hard to define, because there is something going on that makes the Carreras a helluva lot more valuable. If you could really define "almost as good," you could be the guy setting prices for Porsche and optimizing their supply and demand curves. Sweet job, that would be.

In any case, I respect your opinion.

Kevin
Carrera's have great brand appeal, and sell. But put a C2S engine on the Cayman platform and it will eat into Carrera sales. 90% as good? Yes, better, some would say, since it's mid engine.
Old 01-27-2008, 09:07 PM
WAC
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The Cayman is a totally different car built for different purposes than the 911. It is an awesome car with great looks and terrific handling. With the S motor it's got plenty of power but I'd love to drive a RUF conversion or something similar. If you could live without the back seats that'd be a a helluva ride for the money.
Old 01-28-2008, 10:31 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by WAC
The Cayman is a totally different car built for different purposes than the 911. It is an awesome car with great looks and terrific handling. With the S motor it's got plenty of power but I'd love to drive a RUF conversion or something similar. If you could live without the back seats that'd be a a helluva ride for the money.
A neighbor of mine had Alois Ruf supercharge his Cayman S. 400ps. Have not driven it yet but he is always smiling!
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: New 997 owner