Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Has anyone spent time in the new sport bucket seats?

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2008, 12:00 AM
doctorpcar
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Has anyone spent time in the new sport bucket seats?

The ones from the GT3 that are now options on all new orders apparently? Anyone had any time in these and can comment on them? I guess they are geared towards track driving, but are they suitable for daily driving and how much weight do they save over the standard non power seats?
Old 01-28-2008, 12:36 PM
Da Hapa
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I haven't driven a 997 with them but have sat in them at length.

They are beautiful seats and very, very comfortable. As I recall, the total weight savings is around 30lbs.

Unfortunately, if you're short like me (I'm 5'6" tall), they lower your hip point to the point that you feel like you're sitting in deep bath tub. They were actually too low for my comfort level.

The other issue that I have is that as of now, you can't get these seats and heated seats together.

But I'm all for Porsche offering their US customers more and more choices.
Old 01-28-2008, 01:42 PM
PAULSPEED
Pro

Hi,
I bought sport seats. I think the GT-3 seats are one piece seats with holes in the seats for shoulder seat belts. I like my sport seats but I have not sat in GT-3 seats.
Paul
Old 01-28-2008, 01:59 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

I've got the 996 Euro GT3 seats in my car. These are the low-weight, fixed-back racing type shells. They are very light (~30lbs each vs ~60lbs each for the stock seats). I'm 5'10, 185lbs, & I find the seats very comfortable. My car is a daily driver, and I have no issues with comfort at all. I drove from Houston to Austin this past weekend in them (about 3 hours each way), and the GT3 seats felt fine. The biggest drawback to the GT3 seats (and probably to a lesser degree the new sport seats) is ingress and egress. Getting in is not too bad. It's basically a controlled fall with your a$$ landing in the seat, & then swing the legs in. Getting out is more difficult. Swing the legs out, get some leverage with your arms, and pull/push yourself out of the car. Best if not witnessed. Again, these are not the seats you're asking about, and from the looks of them, I would expect them to be a little easier to get out of.

Hope that helps a little.
Old 01-28-2008, 03:34 PM
malammik
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mglobe
I've got the 996 Euro GT3 seats in my car. These are the low-weight, fixed-back racing type shells. They are very light (~30lbs each vs ~60lbs each for the stock seats). I'm 5'10, 185lbs, & I find the seats very comfortable. My car is a daily driver, and I have no issues with comfort at all. I drove from Houston to Austin this past weekend in them (about 3 hours each way), and the GT3 seats felt fine. The biggest drawback to the GT3 seats (and probably to a lesser degree the new sport seats) is ingress and egress. Getting in is not too bad. It's basically a controlled fall with your a$$ landing in the seat, & then swing the legs in. Getting out is more difficult. Swing the legs out, get some leverage with your arms, and pull/push yourself out of the car. Best if not witnessed. Again, these are not the seats you're asking about, and from the looks of them, I would expect them to be a little easier to get out of.

Hope that helps a little.
So true!! But those seats are good, especially for the money. The 997 buckets are also heavier than 996GT3 or 997GT3 seats.
Old 01-28-2008, 07:20 PM
Da Hapa
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by PAULSPEED
Hi,
I bought sport seats. I think the GT-3 seats are one piece seats with holes in the seats for shoulder seat belts. I like my sport seats but I have not sat in GT-3 seats.
Paul
I think the OP is asking about the two piece sports seats from the GT2 which are now available for order on any new 997 or 987. They feature the ability to recline the back and move it forward for access to the rear seats (in a 997) while retaining the side airbags.
Old 01-28-2008, 11:13 PM
nkhalidi
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Da Hapa
They feature the ability to recline the back .
The GT2 seats tilt forward to allow access to the rear; they don't recline. The only adjustment is fore and aft, just like fixed-back euro GT3 seats. They fit looser in the hips and shoulders than euro GT3 seats, and the padding feels a little harder. I haven't driven a car with GT2 seats - few in the states have, I'd bet - but I sat in one at Rennsport.
Old 01-28-2008, 11:16 PM
Deanski
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by nkhalidi
The GT2 seats tilt forward to allow access to the rear; they don't recline. The only adjustment is fore and aft, just like fixed-back euro GT3 seats. They fit looser in the hips and shoulders than euro GT3 seats, and the padding feels a little harder. I haven't driven a car with GT2 seats - few in the states have, I'd bet - but I sat in one at Rennsport.
And they have side airbags too! This makes them avalible for the US. Nice looking carbon fiber backs!

Deanski

Quick Reply: Has anyone spent time in the new sport bucket seats?