Sponsored by:

Battery Tender light goes off after 5 minutes

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2008, 10:05 PM
bnh
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Battery Tender light goes off after 5 minutes

It's winter and I'm not using the Boxster much. Why does my battery tender light go off after about 5 minutes? I've got the "Porsche" brand tender that goes into the cig. socket. Does it mean the battery is full or what is the problem?

Thanks

Bruce
Old 01-21-2008, 11:25 PM
Tone
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine does same thing, but appears to work fine.
I don't know if it means that batt is full though....
Old 01-22-2008, 08:55 AM
Frino
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the latest Porsche tender (purchased in October,07)...orange light glows when the device is on and the other (charging) light changes from red to green but is always on.

On a related note, has anyone had battery fluid drain out the bottom of the car onto the garage floor when the tender is in use? I have and believe it was due to my overfilling the battery with distilled water.
Old 01-22-2008, 08:50 PM
Phil G.
Race Car

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Frino
On a related note, has anyone had battery fluid drain out the bottom of the car onto the garage floor when the tender is in use? I have and believe it was due to my overfilling the battery with distilled water.
Uh, yeah. My OEM battery did this while on the maintainer. And it was not from overfilling with distilled H2O - it was from underuse - one or more of the cells "sulphurated" - fancy word for self-destructed - while in storage. The problem is for underuse, of which I'm very guilty. These batteries need to be used. In fact Porsche won't warrantee them unless you drive the car at least 6K miles/year. I started a thread on this over a month ago on the 996 board.
Old 01-22-2008, 09:49 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Phil G.
Uh, yeah. My OEM battery did this while on the maintainer. And it was not from overfilling with distilled H2O - it was from underuse - one or more of the cells "sulphurated" - fancy word for self-destructed - while in storage. The problem is for underuse, of which I'm very guilty. These batteries need to be used. In fact Porsche won't warrantee them unless you drive the car at least 6K miles/year. I started a thread on this over a month ago on the 996 board.
That's one of the reasons I swapped out the OEM for an Optima - didn't want the potential of an acid spill/leak plus the Optimas seems to hold a charge a lot longer...and they are a little bit lighter.
Old 01-23-2008, 09:21 AM
Phil G.
Race Car

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by jhbrennan
That's one of the reasons I swapped out the OEM for an Optima - didn't want the potential of an acid spill/leak plus the Optimas seems to hold a charge a lot longer...and they are a little bit lighter.
I would have gone with an Optima or something comparable also, but I thought the battery would be covered under warrantte - it wasn't due to the low miles on my car. Porsche requires 6K miles/year - so I just had dealer install another OEM. Next time, I'll know.
Old 01-25-2008, 12:41 PM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

Life for sulfated batteries

http://www.batteryde-mister.com/inde...apper&Itemid=8
Old 01-25-2008, 02:13 PM
cello
Three Wheelin'

Received 30 Likes on 13 Posts

[QUOTE=MUSSBERGER;5026201]Life for sulfated batteries

Have you tried this stuff or are you just making all aware of it?
Old 01-25-2008, 03:03 PM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

From what I have been told a lot of companies in the aerial lift/work platform rental business use the stuff. We don't do aerial. I am probably going to try some in a couple of solar powered variable message signs. The batteries in them tend to sulphate after a while and because of that we have to put them on charger every so often to knock the crap off the plates. If this prevents this it would save us a lot of dough.

Old 01-25-2008, 06:20 PM
cello
Three Wheelin'

Received 30 Likes on 13 Posts

Sounds good; would be nice to know it does work. Please let us know. Thx.

Quick Reply: Battery Tender light goes off after 5 minutes