Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ship or drive new car home from remote dealer?

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2008, 12:57 PM
MartyB
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Rick in Colorado
I asked my (remote) dealer about that very issue. He said that he would pay for any "touch-up" needed when I arrived home. Didn't need any.
I'm talking about 2-3 years into ownership and you have some issues. My understanding is that most reputable installers will replace damaged pieces during the warranty period for virtually any reason.
Old 01-20-2008, 03:34 PM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

ROAD TRIPS
Old 01-20-2008, 08:14 PM
sclemmons
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

I had Frank Fahey Motorsports rebuild the motor on my BMW M5 in San Diego and drove it 2000 miles home to Little Rock. Bad idea. Glazed the cylinders and I had to send it back to Frank to reseat the rings. Maybe Porsches are different, but I would be very careful on a long road trip with a new car, unless you take the stop and go route.

Skip
Old 01-20-2008, 09:05 PM
InTheAir
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

This prompts the question--does Porsche have an "official" breakin procedure?

Signed,

Waiter (read: no manual)
Old 01-20-2008, 09:34 PM
John Velasco
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Watch out!

jv
Old 01-21-2008, 01:00 PM
E55AMG
Rennlist Member

Received 672 Likes on 340 Posts

Like I said earlier - STAY OFF THE INTERSTATES!! Go to your local AAA office and have them map out a route of "scenic roads" for your trip back. This will usually include the U.S. Hwy. system.

On my trip home this method allowed me to be all up and down the rev range, used all gears - a great way to break in the car. Get on the interstate and you'll end up sitting at the same speed/gear for hours on end. Not good.

Regarding the clear bra. There was only one place I trusted to do my clear film and they were at home. So, I drove it home "naked". Less issue with this if you stick to the back roads instead of the interstate.

Last edited by E55AMG; 01-21-2008 at 01:39 PM.
Old 01-21-2008, 01:15 PM
Rick in Colorado
Instructor

Originally Posted by E55AMG
Like I said earlier - STAY OFF THE INTERSTATES!!
I couldn't agree more.

In the summer of 2006, in mock tribute to the 50th anniversary of the completion of the US Interstate system, I took a one-month road trip on my Harley. The theme of the trip was backroads all the way - no Interstates. Greasy diners, world's largest ball of twine, annual Mark Twain festival in Hannibal, MO, etc... Trip of a lifetime. And...you meet the friendliest, down-home folks in the little towns along the way. All on a Fatboy with no windshield and very light packing.

Kind of like "Then came Bronson", but without the adventures and the mumbling.
Old 01-22-2008, 12:18 PM
JFScheck
Addict
Rennlist Member

Get a clear bra installed at the dealer then drive that bad boy!
Old 01-22-2008, 01:34 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

Some how your question about trucking the car and installing a clear coat on the front seems to go hand in hand. Whatever you do, drive it sparingly, and cover as much of it in plastic. Let me know in two years when you're ready to sell (for not using it enough).
Old 01-22-2008, 09:28 PM
YA911Fan
Burning Brakes

I'm waiting for the next stage of this nonsense -- two layers of the plastic crap for added protection!

Originally Posted by Edgy01
Some how your question about trucking the car and installing a clear coat on the front seems to go hand in hand. Whatever you do, drive it sparingly, and cover as much of it in plastic. Let me know in two years when you're ready to sell (for not using it enough).
Old 01-22-2008, 10:07 PM
Rick in Colorado
Instructor

Originally Posted by Edgy01

Hey Dan. I still love to see a mini report on your X-51 headers in conjunction with the PSE (as requested in a PSE thread last week).
Old 01-22-2008, 11:53 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by Rick in Colorado
Hey Dan. I still love to see a mini report on your X-51 headers in conjunction with the PSE (as requested in a PSE thread last week).
Not to hijack this thread (please excuse the mild interruption) but I don't believe it made any difference in performance. Acoustically, I MIGHT hear some difference, but after just getting back from a two-day road trip into the back roads of central California (including Route 1 and Big Sur) several other drivers came up to me to tell me that my car sounded pretty good. (I did this just because I liked the separate tubes)

Now,--back to the regular broadcast.

Quick Reply: ship or drive new car home from remote dealer?