Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ship or drive new car home from remote dealer?

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2008, 01:58 PM
Rick in Colorado
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ship or drive new car home from remote dealer?

I've done both, and would never ship again - driving home was a great experience. Short of snow/ice issues, I'm curious why more people don't make a road trip out of it. It's definately cheaper to drive. Is it the miles? Commitments at work? BTW, I'd recommend getting a clearbra installed prior to the trip home.
Old 01-19-2008, 04:32 PM
Vjgtrybno1
Rennlist Member

I am with you 100% - one issue may be the need to vary revs over the first 1200 miles. I bought mine in FL with 700 miles on the clock and drove her home to Ohio. What a blast. Folks were taking pictures of the car at rest stops and from their cars on the road. Now I know what it feels like to be married to a rock star!

Had the clearbra installed prior. +1
Old 01-19-2008, 05:53 PM
E55AMG
Rennlist Member

Received 672 Likes on 340 Posts

Bought my car in Ohio and drove home to L.I. One of the best days I ever had. Stayed off the interstate and took Rte. 6 across PA - considered one of the most scenic roads in the US. It was easy to vary the revs on a road like this.
Old 01-19-2008, 06:02 PM
wetstuff
Pro

Me too: Cleveland to MD ..had the manual in my lap for 100mi. "What-the-hell-page are steering wheel buttons on?!"

So far, the longest ride I've had in it. I cannot imagine not doing it.
Old 01-19-2008, 06:10 PM
p-cardriver
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Agree. Part of the fun of searching for my car was thinking about the road trip back! I've done this twice, once from Colorado to Michigan and the other shortie from Cleveland to Detroit. Now I'm itching to go someplace again - thinking 1000 mile out or so. Love these cars on the road!

p-cardriver
Old 01-19-2008, 06:12 PM
WAC
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree with all you guys. One caveat which is if you intend to install a bra, clear or otherwise, do it before you drive home. I didn't on my current car and picked up a few chips in the 700 mile drive home. Very frustrating!
Old 01-19-2008, 10:33 PM
John Velasco
Burning Brakes

When I picked up the GT3 I spent weeks driving a loop on the freeways around my house just to break him in. I would have loved to have a road trip to do the same thing. Drive, Drive, Drive...
Old 01-19-2008, 11:09 PM
MartyB
Racer

I'm definitely driving mine home in a couple of months, but it will only be about 250 miles. My wife and I are already talking about where we might want to spend a night or two. I live near Atlanta and I looked at cars in Maryland and Ohio - I would have flown to pick up those cars and driven them home too. My biggest concern with installing clearbra before bringing it home is that warranty replacement of peeling, scratched, etc. pieces would be a pain in the *** miles from your installer.
Old 01-19-2008, 11:28 PM
Speed
Pro

I picked up my '05 997S from Beechmont Porsche in Cincinnati and drove 700 mi in about 12 hrs. to NYC. I flew out the night before and the saleman picked me up at my motel. Had a great time albeit it rained most of the way. Great way to bond with the car.
Old 01-20-2008, 03:17 AM
abe
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Bought my baby in Sacramento,,,drive to Monterey and stayed overnight. Then we drove down highway 1 to Ventura....doesn't get any better than that.
abe
Old 01-20-2008, 05:02 AM
jcnesq
Miserable Old Bastard
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by abe
Bought my baby in Sacramento,,,drive to Monterey and stayed overnight. Then we drove down highway 1 to Ventura....doesn't get any better than that.
abe
That's a great way to get the obligatory Highway 1 run out of the way early on!

I think the ultimate would be to pick a car up at the factory in Stuttgart, and drive her around Europe, hope to do that at least once. But the wait for the ship to get here afterwards might be painful.
Old 01-20-2008, 05:18 AM
YA911Fan
Burning Brakes

It's really the best way to buy a new car. You can usually get a better deal from a dealer in a fly-over state and you get an ideal fly/drive mini-vacation which conveniently ends at home. If I had more time, I'd shop for my next new car somewhere in the northeast and drive it home to the southwest (avoiding the interstates, of course).
Old 01-20-2008, 08:22 AM
p-cardriver
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by MartyB
I'm definitely driving mine home in a couple of months, but it will only be about 250 miles. My wife and I are already talking about where we might want to spend a night or two. I live near Atlanta and I looked at cars in Maryland and Ohio - I would have flown to pick up those cars and driven them home too. My biggest concern with installing clearbra before bringing it home is that warranty replacement of peeling, scratched, etc. pieces would be a pain in the *** miles from your installer.
Seems like the answer might be to get the colgan bra for the drive home, and then replace it with the clear film at your favorite installer. Having said that, my installer in MI did some warranty repairs on the car we bought used in Colorado which had clear film all over it. The mirror pieces were bubbling and he worked with the mfgr (3M) and the original installer via phone.

p-cardriver
Old 01-20-2008, 09:37 AM
InTheAir
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

That's exactly what I'm planning to do in May'ish--pick up my car in Cleveland, have the clear bra installed before pick up, and drive the car home to MI (350 miles). At least I'll be able to get a little bit of the break in finished.
Old 01-20-2008, 11:44 AM
Rick in Colorado
Instructor

Originally Posted by MartyB
My biggest concern with installing clearbra before bringing it home is that warranty replacement of peeling, scratched, etc. pieces would be a pain in the *** miles from your installer.
I asked my (remote) dealer about that very issue. He said that he would pay for any "touch-up" needed when I arrived home. Didn't need any.

Quick Reply: ship or drive new car home from remote dealer?