Sponsored by:

thoughts on 356 replicars?

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2008, 03:05 PM
V.A.G.
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Soulteacher
Wow, what a cool website! I had no idea you could buy these things. Couldn't believe to see the Kubelwagen... I drove one of these in the German military in the 80s (a later model, of course).

I think it's a great idea. I doubt that at 6'4 I'd fit into any of those (except for the Kubel), but what I find most attractive is that you have a brand-new engine; for someone like me who doesn't know much about motors, that would be the greatest benefit. I think it has little to do with "getting away with something"... I'd happily tell everyone it's a replica; it's more about having newer basic technology in an old-fashioned package.

What I would be worried about is safety. I don't think I'd stand a chance if one of those big-*** southern redneck trucks decided to run over me.

Wo hast du damals in Deutschlang gewohnt? Ich bin aus dem Kreis Simmern (Rheinland Pfalz)
Old 01-14-2008, 03:31 PM
Rick in Colorado
Instructor

Originally Posted by 9974G
If you can't afford the real thing (afford to buy AND afford to drive/insure/replace) then you're better off looking at pictures of it.
So...if you had a chance to go to bed with someone who looked exactly like Jessica Alba, you'd rather skip it and look at pictures of (the real) Jessica instead?

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

p.s. Forget Jessica - how about your avatar girl (real or clone)!!!
Old 01-14-2008, 07:32 PM
9974G
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Rick in Colorado
So...if you had a chance to go to bed with someone who looked exactly like Jessica Alba, you'd rather skip it and look at pictures of (the real) Jessica instead?

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

p.s. Forget Jessica - how about your avatar girl (real or clone)!!!
haha...nice analogy.

But in that case, it is a work of God, and who am I to question his will?

If it's some chick that had a bunch of plastic surgery to look like Jessica and dressed like her, acted like her and pretended to be her...then, yes, I'd rather look at pics!
Old 01-14-2008, 08:15 PM
MLindgren
Three Wheelin'

Default Speaking of avatar girls....

maybe surfingbuddhist could chime in for us.

Would it be acceptable to have a replica 356 and live in a ratty house?
Old 01-14-2008, 08:58 PM
Rick in Colorado
Instructor

Originally Posted by MLindgren
Would it be acceptable to have a replica 356 and live in a ratty house?
As long as you could afford to pay cash for the 356 replica.
Old 01-14-2008, 09:44 PM
cello
Three Wheelin'

Received 30 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by 9974G
If it's some chick that had a bunch of plastic surgery to look like Jessica and dressed like her, acted like her and pretended to be her...then, yes, I'd rather look at pics!
I call BS - No one said anything about a long term relationship here

While I generally agree with you, you may be missing the point. These cars are just fun - no hassle, no worries, throw around and about fun. I see them at the beach, with towels, beach chairs, surf boards, etc, sticking out. Most just would not use/treat the real item that way. The people who own them have serious machinery - these are toys (like dune buggies without the camp). In the right setting, then, the replica works.

That said, I think it is foolish to hold one of these out as the real thing by trying to re create the original (badging, etc). As stated: Who cares to 'impress' those who dont know; And those that know arent impressed.
Old 01-14-2008, 10:42 PM
Rick in Colorado
Instructor

Originally Posted by cello
These cars are just fun - no hassle, no worries, throw around and about fun. I see them at the beach, with towels, beach chairs, surf boards, etc, sticking out. Most just would not use/treat the real item that way.
You captured my point exactly. People who own the real thing tend not to drive them daily for fear of piling on the miles or damaging them. If they come out of the garage at all, it's more of an occasion.

BTW, if I bought a replica, I would absolutely badge it up to finish the process. While I would not lie about its pedigree, the whole point of a replica is to replicate the original.
Old 01-14-2008, 11:12 PM
Soulteacher
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by V.A.G.
Wo hast du damals in Deutschland gewohnt? Ich bin aus dem Kreis Simmern (Rheinland Pfalz)
Hamburg! I'm a real hamburger. Everyone else here is a cheeseburger, except for Coochas, he's a Double Whopper.
Old 01-15-2008, 09:53 AM
V.A.G.
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Soulteacher
Hamburg! I'm a real hamburger. Everyone else here is a cheeseburger, except for Coochas, he's a Double Whopper.
Now I need to know where you have to come from to be a Double Whopper

Quick Reply: thoughts on 356 replicars?