Sponsored by:

thoughts on 356 replicars?

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2008, 07:28 PM
Rick in Colorado
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default thoughts on 356 replicars?

Given that 356s in great condition are getting too rare/expensive to use as a DD (yes…I know that some people do drive them), what about a high-quality replica? Like www.intermeccanica.com. They make a replica 1959 355A Roadster as well as the perennial Speedster. Check out their website - they've come a long way since I first tested one in 1978.

For less than $40K, you can get a new sub-2,000lb vehicle with 150-200 bhp. Certainly not a genuine Porsche, but true to the original concept, for sure – and – great fun to drive.

I didn’t post this in the 356 section for fear of being flamed badly.
Old 01-12-2008, 08:12 PM
Leader
Rennlist Member

Received 521 Likes on 163 Posts

I have designed and built two replica Speedsters (sold both) and currently own a 1962 356 Sunroof Coupe (a real one).
If you are drawn to a replica because of reliability, then Intermeccanica is the only builder to seriously consider. There are several other replica fabricators (most of them in Southern California), but none compete with IM's quality.
However, I don't think you can build an Intermeccanica for "less than $40k" that you'd be happy with. I'd plan on maybe $45-$50k to get something you'd be willing to drive every day.
So, if it's got to be an open car (Speedster or Convertible D), the IM replica is your best choice.
But, if you want a reliable 356 that you can drive daily, there are plenty of B-Coupes around (in great shape) in the $30-$40k price range. The B's have not yet followed their brother A's and C's into the price stratosphere, but they will eventually, I believe.
And, of course, that is the big difference - the real 356's will appreciate in value. The replicas will not.
IM makes amazing, hand-built cars. But, a real 356 is still a much more desirable car IMO...and I've owned both.

Old 01-12-2008, 08:46 PM
abe
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Well, its like this. The difference between a HAP(Hispanic American Princess) and a JAP(Jewish American Princess) is that the jewelry may be fake...but the orgasm is Real. What does this have to do with this...I don't know. That said, I like the real stuff. Among non Porsche owners you may get away with it....but among Porsche owner, its a different story. Its, like looking at that guy with the fake Rolex...its not the same. I often thought about getting a fake Porsche...but where I live, everyone will know that its not the real McCoy.
Now, you can say why do you care what others think...and you are correct. For that I am sorry if I am sounding a little shallow.
Good luck with your decision....and if I every see you, promise I wont tell
abe
Old 01-12-2008, 10:03 PM
Soulteacher
Burning Brakes

Wow, what a cool website! I had no idea you could buy these things. Couldn't believe to see the Kubelwagen... I drove one of these in the German military in the 80s (a later model, of course).

I think it's a great idea. I doubt that at 6'4 I'd fit into any of those (except for the Kubel), but what I find most attractive is that you have a brand-new engine; for someone like me who doesn't know much about motors, that would be the greatest benefit. I think it has little to do with "getting away with something"... I'd happily tell everyone it's a replica; it's more about having newer basic technology in an old-fashioned package.

What I would be worried about is safety. I don't think I'd stand a chance if one of those big-*** southern redneck trucks decided to run over me.
Old 01-12-2008, 10:36 PM
Rick in Colorado
Instructor

Thanks for the input.

For me the "fake" part isn't an issue; it's not having to worry about preserving the value of an original Speedster and being able to actually drive it rather than trying to keep the miles down (as so many owners do). If I didn't own a real Porsche, I might be more sensitive to the fake/real issue. I'd guess that (shudder) the driving experience, viscerally, is actually superior with a replica than the original due to higher-tech underpinnings. And given the power of my C2S, a stock 356 may feel a little slow - I like the idea of the bigger, 2185cc/2332cc engines. A 911-powered one would be a real hoot (but much more expensive).
Old 01-13-2008, 02:32 AM
Shark-GT3
Advanced

Originally Posted by abe
Its, like looking at that guy with the fake Rolex...its not the same. I often thought about getting a fake Porsche...but where I live, everyone will know that its not the real McCoy.
abe
We have several real speedster owners here in the N.W. that own the real deal, (amongst other very pricey marques) but drive the replica or "stunt double" to preserve the original.

I hope to do the same in the future.

Cheers,
Old 01-13-2008, 02:40 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,028 Likes on 730 Posts

Originally Posted by Soulteacher
I don't think I'd stand a chance if one of those big-*** southern redneck trucks decided to run over me.

Depends......
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lh_gL7Az53o
Old 01-13-2008, 02:59 AM
axhoaxho
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For the longest time, I have been asking my Porsche mechanic (Tony Heyer at Heyer Performance) to build me a 356 as my daily drive. I thought it'd be a cool idea!

Tony has over thirty some years of experiences working & racing Porsche cars, and I listen to his input respectfully.

Everytime I bug him to building me a 356 as a daily drive, his reply always was, "Why, Alex, why? They don't have real seatbelts, and the tail doesn't stick too well in rain. You will die if you are in an acciddent."

I think he is right.

With best regards,
- Alex 07 997S.
Old 01-13-2008, 12:01 PM
wetstuff
Pro

More than a few weeks ago - I had a DEVIN. It was a little plastic body on a tube frame with VW suspension/drive train ..13" Corvair rims w/VW centers. Like these little Speedsters; cool as sh/t looking but more dangerous than a M/C (no helmet) and anemic.

It was fun however - 'till I got drunk and ditched it ..folding some front tubes. I saw a cherry looking Speedster fetch $30k on last year's TV auction ...hmmmmmm?!
Old 01-13-2008, 01:22 PM
cello
Three Wheelin'

Received 30 Likes on 13 Posts

I have seen same at up close at our shore community (as garaged summer only drivers). They look good, drive well, and are low strung and usable, ie the owners dont worry about parking them, putting mileage on, breaking down, throwing golf clubs/beach stuff in, etc. My only problem is with the ones that are badged as Porsches. To me its sort of like buying a fake Rolex - whats the point? But as a look alike tool around car, and unbadged, i think they are great.
Old 01-13-2008, 02:04 PM
DMB14
Racer

Anyone seen this website? http://www.automotivelegends.com/
Their cars look awesome.
Old 01-13-2008, 02:31 PM
Leader
Rennlist Member

Received 521 Likes on 163 Posts

Automotive Legends in Malibu is a reseller of replicas manufactured by Vintage Speedsters in Hawaiian Gardens, CA. The AL guys buy turnkey Speedsters from VS, add some accessories and dress-up stuff, then reprice the cars accordingly.
If you want a Vintage Speedster, you'd do much better ordering the car direct from VS rather than pay the inflated price of the cars at Automotive Legends.
In the hierarchy of replica builders, Vintage Speedsters is the lowest priced, highest volume builder. Nice cars, but not very authentic in the details. However, they can build you one in about three weeks, a time-frame none of the other builders can even come close to (for good reasons).
Old 01-13-2008, 03:25 PM
Rick in Colorado
Instructor

Originally Posted by Leader
However, they can build you one in about three weeks, a time-frame none of the other builders can even come close to (for good reasons).
Agreed. Everything that I've seen/read says that if you're going to do it, go with Intermeccanica.
Old 01-13-2008, 03:57 PM
AP997S
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Just thought I pipe in my experience w/ speedster 'replicars'.

I had a chance to buy a real 1956 Speedster (used 356 type A) in 1958/9 for less than $3K but at that point in my life 3 grand was a huge fortune. Move the clock ahead 20 years (before most of you guys were born) to 1979. I got another itch to own the car I dreamt about. This time it was a replicar that I bought in semi-kit form from Intermeccanica which at the time was located in Santa Ana, CA (near Disneyland). I spec'd it out (color, interior, type of motor, etc) and trailered it home about 8 weeks later. I spent the next couple of months (nights & weekends) assembling, fitting it and testing. I spent time and money getting the correct badging, etc. so it looked authentic. All complete it cost me close to $10K. I drove it for a couple of years but it was mainly a garage queen. It was a fun ride but not a good daily driver. With the top down visability was great; top up w/ curtains in place it was tough. I recall cringing whenever I heard screeching tires behind me. That little fiberglass shell didn't give you much security in the event of a rear-ender.

Anyway, in 1981/2 I sold it for $12K (one of the few cars I 'made' money on). It would be fun to have now as a 'toy' but now I appreicate the 'real deal' so much more.

I did see a new Intermeccanica (Canadian built) at Monterey Week a couple of years ago. It was a Roadster w/ roll up windows, A/C, etc. Really a nice representation but to be honest I prefer the side cutained speedster.

I attached an old photo of mine from circa 1979.

Last edited by AP997S; 11-21-2012 at 03:34 PM.
Old 01-14-2008, 02:25 PM
9974G
Burning Brakes

I don't understand the concept of buying a replica anything. Car or watch...it's the same thing. IMO, it's a pathetic thing to do. If you can't afford the real thing (afford to buy AND afford to drive/insure/replace) then you're better off looking at pictures of it.

It's like owning and storing a rare Patek wristwatch in a vault and wearing it's fake replica on a daily basis. Same exact thing with cars. Badged or not, it's the same thing. Low quality or high quality replicas don't matter either, they're still fakes.

Would I love to own a classic Ferrari someday? Absolutely. Would I keep it in my garage while driving it's replica around to avoid damage? Absolutely NOT.

Quick Reply: thoughts on 356 replicars?