Sponsored by:

PDE and DE

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2008, 04:34 PM
malammik
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default PDE and DE

I am thinking of signing up for Porsche Driving Experience @ Barber. Thinking of heading out there in May before it gets too hot. I've done a couple of DEs which are usually one to two hundred bucks per day. 2-da PDE is almost 3K. How is PDE going to be different from a regular DE other than obviously using my own car which I do not mind at all. Thanks a lot for all the comments.
Old 01-11-2008, 04:40 PM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

I'm far from an expert but the people that I ran with in green that had been through PDE were miles ahead in ability than others in the group. First to be signed off to solo and were first to go to white.
Old 01-11-2008, 05:07 PM
limey940
Three Wheelin'

I did not realize that you can use your own car, thats awesoem, im going to look at PDE again, thanks for sharing that.

cheers
Old 01-11-2008, 05:25 PM
roberga
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

PDE is in their cars. It is a first class program with professional drivers-instructors-can not be compared to DE. You will not be disappointed.
Old 01-11-2008, 05:41 PM
malammik
Racer

Originally Posted by limey940
I did not realize that you can use your own car, thats awesoem, im going to look at PDE again, thanks for sharing that.

cheers
You can only use their cars. Sorry if I was unclear. I meant that to DE you obviously have to bring your own car.
Old 01-11-2008, 05:49 PM
Holger B
Race Car

Received 87 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by roberga
PDE is in their cars. It is a first class program with professional drivers-instructors-can not be compared to DE. You will not be disappointed.

+1

I went in '01, so I'm sure PDE is a lot different now, but some of the people there that had done DE's before (I hadn't) were a bit bored by PDE at times. Overall, I think they still had fun and learned some new skills, but the lead-follow stuff on track behind newbies was frustrating for them.

Just something to think about depending on how many DE's you've done and how much you've already moved up the learning curve on your own.
Old 01-11-2008, 06:09 PM
kennygoodboy
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by malammik
I am thinking of signing up for Porsche Driving Experience @ Barber. Thinking of heading out there in May before it gets too hot. I've done a couple of DEs which are usually one to two hundred bucks per day. 2-da PDE is almost 3K. How is PDE going to be different from a regular DE other than obviously using my own car which I do not mind at all. Thanks a lot for all the comments.
In a word - instructors. 100x better than what you see in a typical DE (at least in my experience). You will have a great time!

Trending Topics

Old 01-11-2008, 07:01 PM
cviles
Unique Title
Rennlist Member

Received 111 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by MUSSBERGER
I'm far from an expert but the people that I ran with in green that had been through PDE were miles ahead in ability than others in the group. First to be signed off to solo and were first to go to white.
This may be due to a bit of selection bias. People willing to shell out ~$3500 for PDE are more likely to take their driving seriously. I'm not saying PDE doesn't make you a better driver (it does), just that you really have to want to be a better driver to shell out that kind of cash and those people tend to progress more quickly.

As to how PDE will differ from a regular DE, first there will be more focus on car control skills. You'll do some skidpad exercises, braking and lane change exercises, etc. There's also an autocross course you'll go through in addition to the on-track exercises. Everything on-track will be lead-follow. You also get to drive just about everything Porsche makes (Boxsters, Caymans, Carreras, and Cayennes). It's a lot of fun, and I wouldn't worry about the weather being too hot. You'll have the windows up and the A/C on. When I went 2 years ago, we were on the track in the pouring rain.
Old 01-11-2008, 08:10 PM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

How is PDE going to be different from a regular DE
The biggest difference between the two is the level of instruction.
At PDE the instructors know how to drive properly and are great communicators.

The skill building exercises are something that all of us should experience and are worthwhile.

At a DE you really don't know what the experience level of the instructor will be that will be teaching you. Not to mention driving is something that is not done on a regular basis.

PDE will give you a great driving foundation!!

Do consider doing the Masters Program as well, it's the next level!!

Note: there is a PSDS Pricing increase looming.
if anyone is considering attending sign up sooner than later.
You have been warned
Old 01-11-2008, 08:13 PM
roberga
Nordschleife Master

+1 MJones Masters
Old 01-11-2008, 09:21 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

I did 1 DE at Sebring and did OK but I had issues with threshold braking and memorizing the 17 turn track. I then went to PDE and when I went back to my DE I got signed off to Blue and drove blue 1 day and then went onto solo the next day.

I had some really good DE instructors in PCA Suncoast, namely Tom Kerr and Ray James. Plus I studied my butt off and everything started to fall together.

During my 2 days at PDE, I really got a hold of braking and modulating the brakes and started trail braking. I also learned a lot about car control on the wet skid pad and auto cross. My PDE instructors were Peter Litzenbeger, Daniel Eastman and Hurley Haywood. Those guys worked with me the most and helped dial me in and give me an excellent foundation to grow on.
Old 01-11-2008, 09:50 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

All of the above, plus having Dave Murry, Hurley Haywood, Daniel Eastman and others giving you personal 1:1 coaching. But the priceless part is when they have the cocktail party and these guys have to(required to) mingle with everybody. Yeah, HH really cares how I liked the track that day....
Everybody should do it at least once.
Old 01-11-2008, 11:27 PM
DJ23
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 63 Posts

MJ has it right with the level of the instructor. Three of my instructors were the infamous Hurley Haywood, David Donohue ( son of Mark Donohue) and Cass Whitehead who has competed in the Rolex Grand Am and the American Le Mans series. It was some of the most fun I ever had.

Jay
Old 01-12-2008, 03:19 AM
Holli82
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 23 Posts

DE-- some great instructors some bad instructors
PDE-- all great instructors

DE-- use your car
PDE-- use their car(s)

DE-- bring your own food or pay for mediocre food at track
PDE-- fine dining provided for all meals

DE-- usually close to home
PDE-- Alabama (not close, for most)

DE-- drive at your own pace
PDE-- instructor lead; you follow

Both are fun. Enjoy
Old 01-12-2008, 10:07 AM
WAC
Instructor

Instructors. Their car. What I really found very helpful was the rotational learning experience. Skid Pad to Autocross to Track to Skid Pad to Autocross to Track...Everything you learn in one exercise builds into the next and I found it amazing how fast the speed around the track went up for people of all initial ability levels. Plus on the 2nd day they start sorting you out by ability and you can stay in your comfort zone while progressing or move on to all the car can do on street tires. It was enormous fun, well worth the money and I can't wait to go back to the Masters class.

Tony

Quick Reply: PDE and DE