I guess that this is news to you.
That's why I am asking.

That's interesting.
Old 01-10-2008, 04:21 PM
Stephenkng
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by keninirvine
Are you taking it to a dealer? My local dealer charged me $799 plus tax for 20k "service". I checked later with a local certified shop that other Rennlisters recommended, and they said it would have been $265 with them, including pollen filter. Guess where I'm going next time? Oh yes, my oil level still show over-full since the "service", 300 miles later.
I will take mine in to the dealer next week. The price is no bad. $449 plus $150 for the fliud flash. The wife MB cost the same price.
Old 01-10-2008, 04:54 PM
ozcav
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It isn't too bad until you find out that the 20k service is not really anything but a glorified oil change.
Old 01-10-2008, 04:57 PM
uzj100
Burning Brakes

Received 66 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by ozcav
It isn't too bad until you find out that the 20k service is not really anything but a glorified oil change.
Pollen and air filter too. All DIY type items.
Old 01-10-2008, 05:08 PM
Deanski
Three Wheelin'

Wait, I thought along with oil/filter they are supposed to flush the brake system? They don't do that for the 20K service?

Deanski
Old 01-10-2008, 05:29 PM
redduck996
Burning Brakes

I think different dealers offer different services...
I spoke to a service guy at my dealer and he said, the 20k service is an oil change , tire check, wiper check and maybe a sw update. I asked him about the air/pollen filter and fluids and he said they check that too. Not sure if checking is the same thing as replacing.

I think i'll just check out renntech and DIM (do it myself)
Take that ~500 and get me a CR spotless..
Old 01-10-2008, 05:39 PM
axhoaxho
Three Wheelin'

Porsche of Fremont.

I guess that this is news to you.
That's why I am asking.
Was that from Gunter at Porsche of Fremont? Did he give you a Porsche loaner car while your car in service, or just an Enterprise rental?

Thanks for the information,

With best regards,
Old 01-10-2008, 05:58 PM
kw_1055
Instructor

Gunter is the one who told me about the 5-40 last month at a different event.
I did not talk to him when I made the appointment so I plan to check with him again when I drop off the car next week.
I think their policy is to give you a Porsche if you have warranty repair but a Enterprise rental if just regular service.
Of course I like to try out another Porsche but not a deal breaker for me.
I really don't understand why they do that. Don't they want you to try out
other Porsche so that they are always in your mind when you consider other
cars?

I recently went to a free Audi's driving experience program and had so much fun and I got to try out their new cars which I would not have normally. Now my parents are looking for a new ride and I am telling them how good Audi is.

Gunter and the dealership really support our PCA region and he is such a nice guy, that's why I am driving 50 miles to them and not 2 miles to my closest dealer. This is my first service visit with them. Does anyone have experience with them?

So I guess I maybe the only one to hear about the 5-40. I most certainly will check again before next week. Maybe I remember wrong.

Last edited by kw_1055; 01-10-2008 at 06:43 PM.
Old 01-10-2008, 06:27 PM
Stephenkng
Racer

Originally Posted by Deanski
Wait, I thought along with oil/filter they are supposed to flush the brake system? They don't do that for the 20K service?

Deanski
The 20k should be just oil/filter and the pollen filter plus the other visal inspection. The fluid is not required (I believe), but most dealer will recommand it. $150 for every other year, it is not that bad.
Old 01-10-2008, 07:01 PM
axhoaxho
Three Wheelin'

I did not talk to him when I made the appointment so I plan to check with him again when I drop off the car next week.
I think their policy is to give you a Porsche if you have warranty repair but a Enterprise rental if just regular service.
cars?

I recently went to a free Audi's driving experience program and had so much fun and I got to try out their new cars which I would not have normally. Now my parents are looking for a new ride and I am telling them how good Audi is.

Gunter and the dealership really support our PCA region and he is such a nice guy, that's why I am driving 50 miles to them and not 2 miles to my closest dealer. This is my first service visit with them. Does anyone have experience with them?

So I guess I maybe the only one to hear about the 5-40. I most certainly will check again before next week. Maybe I remember wrong.
I have been using Porsche of Fremomt since 2000. Gunter is a good man, and he is a big supporter of the local Boxster club. However, like any dealers, we need to watch and double check their work... The techs are hit and miss -- sometimes the work was perfect, sometimes a little off (like last time they forgot the change the cabin filter even they checked the checkbox in the invoice).

For non-dealer work, it is a good idea to know a good local P-car shop. I have been using Heyer Performance at Mountain View for years. The owner, Tony Heyer, is a straightforward and experienced guy (over 30 years P-car experience) and I highly recommend it.

With best regards,
- Alex 07 997S.
Old 01-10-2008, 08:00 PM
kw_1055
Instructor

Thanks for the feedback, Alex.
Old 01-10-2008, 08:42 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark1996
If they end up replacing the DME, both keys will have to be reprogrammed. If they just just update the DME, the spare key will still work. Therefore, it is better to bring both keys just in case.
I don't think it's a DME replacement they are doing, but rather a re-flash. I just had my car in for some service and they re-flashed the DME to the latest software. I was not able to get out of them exactly what changes the new program makes. It appear as "Campaign 737" on the work order. I've got an inquiry in over at renntech to find out what this is.
Old 01-10-2008, 09:59 PM
dan212
Rennlist Member

Received 132 Likes on 93 Posts

My 996 maint guide says minor at 15K/2 years and major at 30K/4 years - whichever comes first. It calls for next to nothing.. Just change oil and filter. Brake fluid at the major 30K/4 year intervals. Everything else is just inspection and some testing. Shouldn't be expensive. The required checks and service is designed to be friendly to your wallet. But I happily pay my dealer to do a lot more... Its my car. My butt too.

It also depends on how hard you drive it.. I did more than 4500 track miles this summer, 18K overall. So I changed oil every 6K. Cheap insurance after hot and hard use. I also flush the brakes during the season especially if I cook it from inexperienced over use of that middle pedal at tracks like Pocono. Doh!! (Actually, changing to Pagid yellows fixed that)

After a season of hot, hard track use, I think the transmission fluid should be flushed at season's end even though Porsche only calls for that at 90K miles. More cheap insurance. I wonder if I should do that more often? Or am I getting carried away?

Some people have the fluids tested by a lab.

Its amazing to me how little service is required in modern cars under normal use. Mostly inspection. Essentially maintenance free. Some companies like MB actually seal their automatic transmissions for lifetime use.

But I do think it is just bizarre that alignment isn't called for at these service intervals. I've found that alignment isn't always spot on as delivered from the factory and will certainly got knocked out - especially from rough roads. I was surprised that even a CPO car doesn't get aligned before sale. Thats just dangerous IMHO..
Old 01-10-2008, 10:17 PM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,041 Likes on 736 Posts

Originally Posted by Stephenkng
Is there a recall on the DME or TSB outstanding?

Recall or service advisory. My service manager said he just got the new software. Bring ALL your keys when you have it done in case they end up replacing it or you may have "issues" later....
http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforum...d.php?t=402293
Old 01-23-2008, 07:08 PM
m5jatt
Track Day

Thumbs down

Originally Posted by kw_1055
cars?

Porsche of Fremont is THE worst service I have ever experienced. Since this i my first Porsche experience (and I bought my car new), I have regretted it from day 1 to the point where I would seriously consider NOT purchasing another Porsche simply because of the dealer service quality. I have a BMW M5 and the service I get from the Stevens Creek BMW dealer is priceless when compared to that of the Fletcher Jones Porsche in Fremont. Steer away is my advice!!!!

Quick Reply: Advise/comment for 20k service