Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Over inflate tires for long sit?

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2008, 05:46 PM
ELUSIVE
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Over inflate tires for long sit?

I just drove my car for the first time in 6 weeks. Bad weather combined with Christmas Travel. The first 10 miles sucked as my P Zero's were very flat spotted.

Would over inflating the tires prevent this from happening so badly?
Any downside effects to temporarily over inflating the tires?

Thanks
Old 01-08-2008, 05:58 PM
YA911Fan
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes and no. Just don't forget to correct the pressure when you finally get around to driving it!
Old 01-08-2008, 06:12 PM
Targa Tim
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 31 Posts

I always over-inflate my tires during winter storage of 4 months. Inflate to about 3 to 5 psi below maximum allowance of the tires. Upon re-start in spring, just drain them back to recommended driving pressure. I don't even bother "moving" the car inside the garage for the whole winter.
Old 01-08-2008, 07:35 PM
steve germany
Instructor

It is much better to put the vhicle on stands and get the weight off the tires than it is to overinflate.
Old 01-08-2008, 08:55 PM
caf
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by steve germany
It is much better to put the vhicle on stands and get the weight off the tires than it is to overinflate.
That is specifically mentioned as something NOT to do by Porsche, though I really doubt it would do much harm most of the time.

The 996 manual says (and I'm guessing the 997 is the same):

"Increase the tire pressure to 58 psi. It is not recommended to lift the vehicle, due to the possibility of corrosion on shock absorber piston shafts.

The vehicle should be moved slightly, approximately every four weeks, to prevent flat spot on the tires."

Many people think the P Zeros flat spot more easily than Michelin PS's, but I've had both and have never had trouble with the P Zeros flat spotting even after a couple months. I do increase the pressure and move the car a few feet every few weeks, though.
Old 01-08-2008, 09:16 PM
Rick in Colorado
Instructor

I'd suggest that you invest in some Tire Cradles. I've had mine for almost ten years and I don't have to worry about messing around with pressures.
Old 01-08-2008, 09:23 PM
David A
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

Roll it back & forth.
Old 01-08-2008, 10:23 PM
Deanski
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by steve germany
Not a good thing to do. You're exposing the shocks and the piston rods to rust, and put undo wear on any suspension part hanging as it was not designed to do.

If you wanted to do this, you have to remove the wheels and put a axle mount stand on each one and let it rest on this. This loads the suspension correctly, no exposed shock pistons and no undo stress.

As for overinflating, they ship the car from factory with 60LBS in the tires. This keeps them from flat-spotting when sitting for some time.

I use Tire Cradles AND I over-inflate.

Regards,
Deanski
Old 01-09-2008, 12:49 AM
irish guitar
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Deanski
Not a good thing to do. You're exposing the shocks and the piston rods to rust, and put undo wear on any suspension part hanging as it was not designed to do.

If you wanted to do this, you have to remove the wheels and put a axle mount stand on each one and let it rest on this. This loads the suspension correctly, no exposed shock pistons and no undo stress.

As for overinflating, they ship the car from factory with 60LBS in the tires. This keeps them from flat-spotting when sitting for some time.

I use Tire Cradles AND I over-inflate.

Regards,
Deanski
I'm with Deanski on this; I have P Zeros and they sit on Tire Cradles overinflated for weeks at a time when I travel. No flat spots ever. I usually put about an extra 5-8lbs in each.
Old 01-09-2008, 12:02 PM
Rick in Colorado
Instructor

This topic comes up every once in a while and the ideal answer is always the Tire Cradles. Some people are put off by the cost, but if you look at the labor savings (no fussing with air pressures) and their useful life (they will serve you through car after car). they make the most sense.

Go for it.

Quick Reply: Over inflate tires for long sit?