Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any former E46 M3 owners?

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2008 | 09:22 PM
Yardape
AutoX

Default Any former E46 M3 owners?

I love my 05 M3 (vert). However, I have really longed for a 911.
Would previous owners share your compares and contrasts (likes. dislikes. etc.) between your 911 and the M3?
Thanks!
Old 01-05-2008 | 09:36 PM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Hi and welcome to the Forum. I'm an E46M3 coupe convert. No turning back now - the 997S I have at 7/10ths equates to the E46M3 at 10/10ths (stock for stock). Lap time differential is amazing at Lime Rock & Watkins Glen.

Do a search in this part of the forum on "M3" and I think you'll find dozens of threads answering your question.
Old 01-05-2008 | 09:59 PM
cole328
Three Wheelin'

My lease on my '05 M# with SMg just ended and I got an '08 C2S No comparison I LOVED the M3 for sure, but the P-car is in a whole different league of pure driving enjoyment While the M3 was ballz out fast, my wife always complained that it was like a "ricky racer" car...very torquey, very bouncy, etc. Plus, whenever I walked up to it, while I knew it was a great driving car, it did not "stir my loins"...the P-car, however, gives me a woodie every time I start it up....

M3 = great value for the money P-car - pure driving bliss if you can afford it,. which luckily, those of us on here can.

Cole
Old 01-05-2008 | 10:54 PM
WaltB
Rennlist Member

I started out with a 99 996 Cab. Sold it and then bought a 04 M3 SMG. Sold it and bought a 06 997 C4S Cab. Each time I believe I moved up the food chain. Per your question though the M3 is a great car. It’s fast and also very maneuverable and very fun to drive, however, my C4S is a better performer. Although both are fairly close in acceleration, the C4S being a little faster, I have to give cornering and braking to the C4S. (Disclaimer:I do have PCCB’s though)
I very much miss my M3’s back seat though as it came in handy many times.

Bang for the buck: M3
But if you have the money, my recommendation is to go with a 997S or turbo. One thing for sure, you will never regret the switch, that is if you truly have the money and do not over extend yourself like some have done.
Old 01-05-2008 | 11:44 PM
Jerry Fisher
Instructor

Went from 2002 M-3 cab to 06 997S. No real comparison IMHO. M-3 was great car--great engine but too heavy.
Steering numb compared to P car. P car brakes much better. Never felt completely comfortable in M--felt like I had owned the P car for years after 3 days-seat is perfect for me. M had better storage space-Porsche's is limited at best.

The Porsche just feels like its a ballet dancer by comparison. Always on its toes but in complete control. The Porsche actually rides better with the PASM even thought I am on 19 inch wheels and my M only had the 18s.

Due to the weight difference and added power of the S, the Porsche feels much faster. Hated the rasp of the Bimmer engine. BMW understeered more. The rear engine blast out of corners of the Carrera is very entertaining. The Porsche steering wheel is a bit too thin for me and the M-3's was a bit too thick.
Like my MINI's steering wheel best--its JUST right.

Not going back to M-3 but its a great sports sedan and quite a car for the $$ but NOT a pure sports car.
Old 01-06-2008 | 11:09 AM
Yardape
AutoX

Thanks for the replies. I am in the very early stage of looking at Porsche.
The main reason I bought this M (this is my 2nd M car and my 3rd BMW) was having two young kids (3 & 5) and the backseat in the M is big enough for them to fit.
Any of you have young kids? How comfortable is the back 'seat' for them?
Old 01-06-2008 | 11:35 AM
texas911
Race Car

Guilty here as well. Just can't compare the two. The M3 is a great car but the 911 is a better true sports car. But it does cost a bit more than the M3. The price is worth it to though! Go for it!
Old 01-06-2008 | 12:28 PM
nkhalidi
Rennlist Member

I have both, and the 997 can't compete with the M3 in terms of everyday usability, versatility, interior space, and relative lack of parking-lot liability. A bicycle easily fits in the trunk of an M3 with the seats down; I once fit a queen-size futon mattress and frame in the car. Groceries are a non-issue in the M3. Big packages are easy as well because access to the rear-seat area is easy. Four track wheels/tires can fit standing up in the rear seat, leaving the trunk empty for your lawn chairs, cooler, tools, and floor jack. At the track, I always got a kick out of passing Porsche "sports cars" with my M3 grocery car. Finally, I can take my M3 nearly anywhere and I never worry about where I'm going to park it or if it might get vandalized.

Everything else is advantage - 997. My perspective is that if it's your only car, M3 is the way to go. If you have a second sedan/suv/pickup/beater/etc, then the 997 is absolutely the car to get.
Old 01-06-2008 | 12:48 PM
MLindgren
Three Wheelin'

Default Kids

Originally Posted by Yardape
Thanks for the replies. I am in the very early stage of looking at Porsche.
The main reason I bought this M (this is my 2nd M car and my 3rd BMW) was having two young kids (3 & 5) and the backseat in the M is big enough for them to fit.
Any of you have young kids? How comfortable is the back 'seat' for them?
I have twins that just turned 5. They fit perfectly in the back of my 997 coupe. You just have to make sure you get booster seats narrow enough to fit.
Old 01-06-2008 | 12:53 PM
GSIRM3
Drifting

I owned three e46 M3s, all coupes, before I got my 2007 997S coupe. I like the 997S better in all aspects. Is it worth the price difference? You will have to make that decision, but the 997 is clearly more enjoyable for me to drive, and much more of a sports car. The M3s I had were great and offer some advantages over the 997, but driving fun is not one of the M3s advantages.
Old 01-06-2008 | 01:07 PM
jw1977
Pro

I went from an 02 m3 to a 07 c2s. The only thing I miss about the m3 is the trunk. No fitting a golf bag in the 911. The 911 is a real sports car, you feel this everytime you drive the car. Definately no regrets.
Old 01-06-2008 | 01:10 PM
Dave07997S
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by nkhalidi
I have both, and the 997 can't compete with the M3 in terms of everyday usability, versatility, interior space, and relative lack of parking-lot liability. A bicycle easily fits in the trunk of an M3 with the seats down; I once fit a queen-size futon mattress and frame in the car. Groceries are a non-issue in the M3. Big packages are easy as well because access to the rear-seat area is easy. Four track wheels/tires can fit standing up in the rear seat, leaving the trunk empty for your lawn chairs, cooler, tools, and floor jack. At the track, I always got a kick out of passing Porsche "sports cars" with my M3 grocery car. Finally, I can take my M3 nearly anywhere and I never worry about where I'm going to park it or if it might get vandalized.

Everything else is advantage - 997. My perspective is that if it's your only car, M3 is the way to go. If you have a second sedan/suv/pickup/beater/etc, then the 997 is absolutely the car to get.
I think you nailed it...

I actually miss my E46 M3...don't get me wrong guys I love my 997 but for some reason I don't think it is worth the price of admission over the M3 especially if the car is a DD. My M3 was probably equivlent in speed to the 997S in stock form as the car had all the bolt ons money could throw on it (4.10's, full exhaust, intake, software etc...)as I know the car ran high 12's as I destroyed a SLK55AMG which I know ran 12.88's @109mph. They really are 2 different cars and the 997 is the natural progression upwards from the M3, but I don't feel it is worth the difference over the E46 M3 if it is going to be a DD.

Flamesuit on..

Dave
Old 01-06-2008 | 01:44 PM
cole328
Three Wheelin'

This is a tough thread to rationalize...as I mentioned previously, I too owned an E46 M3 for three years. It was a great car, no doubt, but did not feel "special", and certainly had no real stand-out eyeball appeal. I look at my car now, and my loins stir everytime...ha. If people want bang for the buck, get a Subaru W whatchamacallit that all of those kids with the loud mufflers drive, or get a BMW 335...both cars are fast in a straightline and are 1/2 the money of the porsche. However., for pure driving experience, excitement, ego fill, whatever, the p-car is the choice. I use mine every single day as a DD to the office Sure, its expensive, but so are all things worth having That's why I plan to drive it every day, take care of it for sure, but DRIVE the **** out of it, and then when the lease is up, hand 'er in and get another one. Please don't buy one as a weekend car and let it sit all week on a trickle charge....THAT's the real shame.....
Old 01-06-2008 | 01:45 PM
GSIRM3
Drifting

Originally Posted by Dave07997S
I think you nailed it...

I actually miss my E46 M3...don't get me wrong guys I love my 997 but for some reason I don't think it is worth the price of admission over the M3 especially if the car is a DD. My M3 was probably equivlent in speed to the 997S in stock form as the car had all the bolt ons money could throw on it (4.10's, full exhaust, intake, software etc...)as I know the car ran high 12's as I destroyed a SLK55AMG which I know ran 12.88's @109mph. They really are 2 different cars and the 997 is the natural progression upwards from the M3, but I don't feel it is worth the difference over the E46 M3 if it is going to be a DD.

Flamesuit on..

Dave
Dave,

I understand your point on the price difference. As I stated in a previous post, I have owned three e46 M3s, and do think the 997 drives better and more like a sports car compared to the M3s I had. However, I also questioned the price difference. The individual buyer will have to determine if the rather large price difference is worth it. The 997S is nice, but is it really worth the price difference? I am not so sure.
Old 01-06-2008 | 02:13 PM
Yardape
AutoX

Thanks again for the responses. You guys seem to be as passionate as the BMW clan. Good to see.
My current '05 is purely my fun car (only 5,000 miles in over two years of ownership ). So a Porsche is a perfect fit for my use.
Also good to see that small kids can fit in the back.
Please keep the comments going... good stuff.

Quick Reply: Any former E46 M3 owners?