Any former E46 M3 owners?

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2008, 02:30 PM
Dave07997S
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GSIRM3
Dave,

I understand your point on the price difference. As I stated in a previous post, I have owned three e46 M3s, and do think the 997 drives better and more like a sports car compared to the M3s I had. However, I also questioned the price difference. The individual buyer will have to determine if the rather large price difference is worth it. The 997S is nice, but is it really worth the price difference? I am not so sure.
Thanks, I have yet to be in this car and say "oh, now I see where the price difference is at". It just hasn't happened yet for me, and I have had my car now for almost a year.

Do I think it is the best car I ever owned and it is totally awesome..yes I do, but once again not to the level where I got out of a almost paid off 04 E46M3 into this car. So finances do have something to do with this...

Dave
Old 01-06-2008, 02:49 PM
Jerry Fisher
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Its always difficult to justify the addt'l costs for top tier products. Are they ever worth the tariff for "just a little more" performance. Is a Patek worth twice the price of another excellent watch---it is if you want it and can swing it.

For me, the P car is worth the difference. Its not a daily driver and I can put up with its shortcomings.
I am happy that I was able to handle the tariff right now (sold 2 cars to buy it)..tomorrow..could be a YUGO in my garage.
Old 01-06-2008, 03:26 PM
adfsouth
Rennlist Member

Had 2 E46 M3's prior to owning the 997. I loved the M3...the engine is fantastic and I really liked the tough stance of the car. Without question, it wins regarding space and practicallity. I attended 3 track events in my 04 M3 and had a blast (more car than I could handle at that time). That being said, the Porsche just has a certain effect on me each time I drive it or even look at it. Its a bit faster than an E46M3, handles a bit better, has noticeably better brakes, better steering feel, a smoother ride on the street (MHO), and a much more pleasant shifting feel and gear ratio. I never looked back, but I still very much appreciate the experience I had with the M3.
Old 01-06-2008, 03:32 PM
sullic
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts
Default I do miss my M3, but prefer the Pcar

I miss the back seat and trunk of the M3, but love the driving dynamics of my C4. I really, really, prefer the 6 speed shifter in my pcar compared to the M3. I like sitting low in the Pcar versus sitting a bit higher in the M3. Also, I much prefer the seats in the C4 versus the M3. Both great cars, and frankly, if Chris Bangle hadn't botched the looks of the BMW's, I might have waited for the new M3. BMW is much more bang for the buck. The king of bang for the buck is the Corvette, or maybe now the new Nissan GT-R, but I prefer German cars. My GF is buying a 335xi later this month, and we will pick it up in Germany which will be a blast as I will be the one driving from Munich to France and England/Scotland. Gotta love Euro delivery.
Old 01-06-2008, 03:33 PM
Holli82
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Jerry Fisher
Its always difficult to justify the addt'l costs for top tier products. Are they ever worth the tariff for "just a little more" performance. Is a Patek worth twice the price of another excellent watch---it is if you want it and can swing it.

For me, the P car is worth the difference. Its not a daily driver and I can put up with its shortcomings.
I am happy that I was able to handle the tariff right now (sold 2 cars to buy it)..tomorrow..could be a YUGO in my garage.
+1

with any top tier item (car, watch, clothes, audio, etc.).....the cost to get to the top of heap is out of proportion to what the difference in quality is. My Porsche is better than my M3 but it costs a lot more to get that difference.
Old 01-06-2008, 03:37 PM
H20NOO
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Drive one. If it is a pleasure car, the discussion will be over.

MC
Old 01-06-2008, 04:03 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 295 Likes on 146 Posts

I went from an E46 M3 coupe to a base 997 coupe, and as others have implied the 997 is on another level in just about every aspect. Only the back seat and trunk space are more practical in the M3 (although a bag of golf clubs fit just fine in the back of a 997)...front seating area is roomier in the 997...and the E46's dashboard and gauges are near perfection (the 997's are, to me at least, a mess).

The combination of minimal torque, relatively large mass, short gearing, below average shifter, and undesirable rasp made the M3 relatively unpleasant as a daily driver. The ridiculously intrusive stability control, and slow, light steering made canyon carving less satisfying than the E36 M3. And the skinny front tires and meager brakes, combined with that mass and lack of headroom for a helmet, made one want to dump wads of cash into mods for improvements after a weekend at the track. Don't get me wrong...the E46 M3 was a great car...but the base 997 suffers from none of the above right out of the box.

I think a lot of people here talking about the steep price difference are comparing the M3 to an optioned 997S, which can easily approach $90k. But a base 997 is only about $20k more than a premium package E46 M3 was. That might seem like a lot, but it isn't when you consider many have spent $15k+ on aftermarket brakes, suspension, wheels/tires, and seats with very little resale value...and still not have the 997's performance. In this light, the base 997 is a bargain.

As for appearance, to me they are both equally great looking cars.
Old 01-06-2008, 07:02 PM
John NY-Naples
Racer

Good timing. I just picked up an E46 M3 to replace my 964. It has good performance and is practical for anyone with kids, but I much prefer the 997S on many different levels.
Old 01-07-2008, 03:31 PM
cviles
Unique Title
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 79 Posts

I've had a number of M3s; one E36 and two E46s.

On paper, the E46 is just amazing. Lots of power, good looks, still a practical everyday car. But BMW made a few mistakes, imho, with the E46. It's heavy and you'll feel that weight. It's not as nimble as the E36 and it lacks the "telepathic" steering feel the old car had. It's fast, but just not that engaging to drive -- you never really feel very involved with what the car is doing.

I find I'm often making an unfortunate comparison between BMWs and the Toyota Camry. The Camry is a transportation appliance. It has a job to do and it does it with no complaints. It's the safe choice for people who only want to get around and go from place to place. BMW wants to greatly increase their sales and to do that they started making cars with mass market appeal -- all things to all people. Like the Camry. In the process they're losing their character and taking the fun out of driving their cars.

My personal example is the change in how I was treated when taking the car in for service. When I bought my first M3 in 1995, I was introduced to my service adviser and given his car the day I bought the car. If I ever had a problem, just call Paul and he'd take care of it. And he was great, honest and never tried to take me for a few extra bucks. I got none of that treatment when I bought my last M3 in 2004; you have to call an 800 to make an appointment and maybe they offer a loaner car or maybe they don't. You're more likely to get a voucher for a taxi than a loaner car, even if you bought the car from that dealership. They simply can't supply the same level of service because their game is now all about volume. Couple that with the fact that the torque specs for the wheels aren't even in the owner's manual anymore ("Call your BMW service center!") and it just says that BMW isn't the sporting marque it used to be.

My Carrera and my Boxster, however, have loads of character. These cars trust their drivers. PSM is a nice safety net, but its nowhere near as intrusive as the DSC from my M3. It lets you play; it lets you have fun. You can feel what the car is doing through the seats and the steering wheel. Driving these cars is all about being involved in driving; every day is an event and each trip a pleasure. I felt that way about my first '95 M3 and I bought 2 more trying to get it back. I don't have to go searching for it with either of my Porsches.
Old 01-07-2008, 04:11 PM
Jim 'n' SC
Racer

Why does it have to be an "S" you can buy a nice base 997 for a lot less and have just as much fun.
Old 01-07-2008, 09:18 PM
cole328
Three Wheelin'

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

'cuz the lil S logo is oh so cool......
Old 01-07-2008, 09:21 PM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I ordered my S with the badge delete - added weight, more aerodynamic drag, and a catch-all for wax, leaves, insects, R-comp marbles, etc. If I didn't want the bigger brakes and engine for track duty, I'd have gotten a base 997 with stock suspension and 18s.
Old 01-07-2008, 09:24 PM
cipri
Track Day

Originally Posted by Yardape
I love my 05 M3 (vert). However, I have really longed for a 911.
Would previous owners share your compares and contrasts (likes. dislikes. etc.) between your 911 and the M3?
Thanks!
I had the competition package on an alpine white m3. excellent car.
Old 01-07-2008, 09:28 PM
nkhalidi
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave07997S
997 is the natural progression upwards from the M3, but I don't feel it is worth the difference over the E46 M3 if it is going to be a DD.
This is a great point, Dave. I can absolutely see how you'd find a stockish 997S disappointing as a street car, especially considering that you come from American torque monsters. I don't think it's possible to appreciate the engineering that Porsche put into the 997 through street driving; the 997 is really a car you have to take to the track and wring out to "get it." On the other hand, the 987 chassis is seriously fun on the street, definitely moreso than the 997.

I think you might like a Nissan GT-R or a Z06 for your next car. Seriously: either of those would be more fun as point-and-squirt street cars compared to a non-turbo 911.
Old 01-07-2008, 09:57 PM
cole328
Three Wheelin'

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Possibly..however, I could never drive either a japanese or heaven forbid, an american car..I drive my car every single day, and every day, even when cruising at 45 down a road is a joy that the M3 never provided...driving is a necessity in most cars...In my p-car, it is an activity....big difference I workd hard...its worth the money...

Quick Reply: Any former E46 M3 owners?