Sponsored by:

Steering wheel removal/replacement

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2008, 08:13 PM
adfsouth
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Steering wheel removal/replacement

Has anyone done a DIY? Any instruction would be appreciatived.

Thanks
Old 01-05-2008, 08:17 PM
Rick in Colorado
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://www.renntech.org/forums/index...howtopic=11350
Old 01-05-2008, 08:22 PM
JohnnyBahamas
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by adfsouth
Has anyone done a DIY? Any instruction would be appreciatived.

Thanks
Done it many times. Rather easy with the right tools. 1/2 inch drive breaker bar and a good 1/2 inch drive torque wrench come to mind.

Don't cycle the ignition with the airbag off as the malfunction indicator light has to be reset by a tech at the dealership.

If you have any questions feel free to PM me.

Best of luck.
Old 01-11-2008, 08:30 PM
BlueJay73
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

OK. Unclipped airbag. Unplugged orange wire harness plug from steering wheel. However, the plug's wire harness goes off to the right and disappears behind the metal plate that is held on by the four green torx screws. The picture in the Renntech thread shows no wire. How do I disconnect the wire harness that goes behind that plate (and thus free airbag module wire from steering wheel)? Mine's a TIP. Might be different wiring.
Old 01-12-2008, 12:43 AM
adfsouth
Rennlist Member

I have the sport wheel without tip. I just unplugged the orange connector and the airbag was free. I also marked the "teeth" with a pencil so I knew where I started. Anyway, here are the directions I followed, which were originally posted by Johnny Bahamas.............

"Bingo. It is really that easy. No special puller or tool needed. Though the hard part is aligning the new wheel to "DEAD CENTER" with the wheels straight. You do this by repeated test drives WITH the airbag reattached (with the air bag reattached you will not get an AIRBAG MIL on the dash). If, on the other hand, you turn on the ignition even once with the airbag off you will get a AIRBAG MIL that only the dealer can reset... and they charge for that.

Note that you should be ready to catch the airbag when you're pushing on the release bar through the hole with the 20 torx driver. Every now and then it'll spring off the steering wheel and be caught by the electrical connections... which is probably not what the electrical connections were intended for.

The screw, and it really is a BIG screw, is 12 point 55 torx BUT a six point 55 torx works excellently and six point is a heck of a lot more easily available. I broke it loose with the 55 torx socket on a 1/2" drive breaker bar.

Torque setting on the reinstall is 37 lbs. feet. But, until you have the steering wheel perfectly aligned, which you'll verify with a short test drive WITH the airbad reinstalled, you might want to just snug it down and not torque it down until the final re-assembly.

1) Just be ready to catch the airbag when you pop the second side of the clip release... the thing can, not always but can, "spring" off the wheel and be caught by the airbag plugs.

2) Keep the key off and don't cycle the ignition with the airbag disconnected. Won't lock up the car or anything bad but the light on the dash can only be turned off by a Porsche tech... that cost me $60. "
Old 01-12-2008, 01:45 AM
mdrobc1213
Rennlist Member

Received 853 Likes on 468 Posts

Anybody know if you can replace a regular steering wheel with a multifunction one? Is that possible? If so is it a DIY job too?
Old 01-16-2008, 11:42 PM
Boxsterdoc47
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would like to know too if a new multifunctional steering wheel can be substituted???
Old 01-17-2008, 12:57 AM
KeninBlaine
Drifting

Received 29 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Boxsterdoc47
I would like to know too if a new multifunctional steering wheel can be substituted???
I'd like to know if a regular steering wheel can be installed in place of a multi-function wheel. I presume the wiring for the multi-function controls can be left disconnected without impacting anything? (I don't like the smaller rim on the multi-function wheels).
Old 01-17-2008, 02:55 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,059 Likes on 743 Posts

I have the sport wheel without tip.

And I'm guessing you're replacing it with a GT3 alcantara. Looked at it a couple of months ago but got sidetracked. Looked again last week and noticed it had gone from $450 to $800 or $860 for the one with yellow RS stripe...!!??
Old 01-17-2008, 05:11 PM
adfsouth
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by sandwedge
And I'm guessing you're replacing it with a GT3 alcantara. Looked at it a couple of months ago but got sidetracked. Looked again last week and noticed it had gone from $450 to $800 or $860 for the one with yellow RS stripe...!!??
Funny you should say that as the GT3 wheel is on my shortlist for the future. I was also quite pissed about the price increase...such BS!!

My reason for the DIY was that my steering wheel was recently replaced under warranty due to the stiching coming apart, however, when the tech reinstalled it, it was off one click. I just didn't feel like going back to the dealer and waiting, so I fixed it myself.....took all but 10 min.

Let me know if you hear of any deals on the GT3 wheel.......
Old 01-17-2008, 07:35 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

I want to change my multi-function for the sport but I think not only do I have to buy the wheel, I also have to buy a new airbag - one's triangular (multifunction) and the other is round (sport) - anyone have an idea of the cost of the airbags?
Old 01-19-2008, 01:59 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,059 Likes on 743 Posts

Let me know if you hear of any deals on the GT3 wheel.......
Tried at the Suncoast store last week. No way. "Porsche just realized they have been under charging for alcantara." Right......or Porsche marketing just realized that those who really want a GT3 wheel don't care if it's $450 or $800.
Old 01-19-2008, 09:23 AM
marky522
Drifting

Yes you can add a sport wheel, like was noted above the airbag will need to be replaced, and it will have to be coded by a PIWIS.

Mark

Quick Reply: Steering wheel removal/replacement