Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Porsche's position on Maslow's Hierarchy?

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2008, 12:34 AM
nyca
Drifting

Received 901 Likes on 503 Posts

I imagine PNA has some demographic stats on their buyers - you think the average 911 buyer makes $400K per year? No way, its far less then that I would imagine.
Old 01-01-2008, 12:43 AM
Tinluver
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Man, who cares what you guys think.If someone can manage a Porsche and enjoy it more power to them.Probably the $1.50's spent on a cups of coffee in this crazy world could pay for it.You guys need to look for a more serious site.I'm surprised this thread was'nt yanked. IMHO

Last edited by Tinluver; 01-01-2008 at 01:06 AM.
Old 01-01-2008, 02:10 AM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 2,057 Likes on 578 Posts

I've done the cash payment thing and the financing thing. I must be weird in thinking that the financing thing (and paying the entire loan balance in 12-18 months) gives me more financial freedom- I'm paying the full balance so fast the "cost" is pretty much the same. but hey I've also got rental property that basically pays for my track habit. it's kind of like playing for the tie game, and I don't mind being in debt that I can pay off within a few pay periods.

to each his own, right?

I drive porsches and other performance cars because I enjoy the performance of the car- I don't have a wife or a dog or kids so I don't have to be practical. All my disposable income seems to go into investments, cars and charity, I also happen to get free clothing (except my suits) and don't waste money on watches or jewelry or starbucks macchiatos. I do blow through a few tanks of gas a week it seems...

If I didn't finance 44% of my gt3 I wouldn't be able to invest in my subsidiary companies or other business ventures either.

people should do whatever they want with their money, as long as it's not gonna screw up their family situation.
Old 01-01-2008, 03:16 AM
Soulteacher
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban
I don't have a wife or a dog or kids so I don't have to be practical.
Exactly. I mentioned this in one of the other threads: "annual salary" and "household income" and similar terms are measurements that are fundamentally flawed. You also have to take into account moderating factors such as the number of people that have to be fed with it. A single person earning a household income of $150,000 may very well have a higher discretionary income than a four-member household with an income of $400,000.

If you really want to determine the propensity or rationality of Porsche ownership on the basis of financial measurements alone, you also have to start factoring in regional cost of living, current debt/equity ratios, and other financial variables.

Personally, I'm with Shaw (sort of): I spend most of my money on trips, cars, and chicks... the rest I just waste.
Old 01-01-2008, 05:33 AM
swajames
Racer

Originally Posted by Rick in Colorado

As I read threads I tend to glean (unsolicited) information on people's financial status: talk of 2nd mortgages, car loans, ratty looking house in the background of pictures.
I'm not sure what you would be able to glean from looking at many of the houses in the Bay Area when you are making your determination of our financial status based on how "ratty looking" you consider our homes to be. I'd say mine was reasonably ratty, but then again in this crazy market it's probably worth much more than comparable homes on other parts of the US . I have friends who have ones that are even rattier that would set you back well north of the price of mine. Then again, I'm not sure why any of this should determine what kind of car we want to drive or why anyone would want to sit in judgment over other people's financial decisions.

Last edited by swajames; 01-01-2008 at 11:31 AM.
Old 01-01-2008, 06:50 AM
jplanaux
Instructor

None of these cookie cutter equations make sense to me. I live in Louisiana. If I have a salary that is equal to someone in CA, I could easily have much more disposable income for things such as Porsche's. Houses north of $2mm? We have em, but none of em are ratty looking dumps? Although I am quite happy with my $300k house, really nice homes can be had for $500k or less. So the income equation doesn't work comparatively.

I do think you might have a problem if there are no luxury vehicles in your neighborhood and you drive a Porsche.
Old 01-01-2008, 07:31 AM
cipri
Track Day

the question should be what is the lowest salary that one has (per annum) and afford a Porsche
Old 01-01-2008, 07:32 AM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 426 Likes on 221 Posts

Originally Posted by Rick in Colorado
Warning: this may be controversial to some.

As I read threads I tend to glean (unsolicited) information on people's financial status: talk of 2nd mortgages, car loans, ratty looking house in the background of pictures.

My take is that a Porsche is a want not a need and it takes a backseat to food, shelter, clothing as well as other fiscal security items such as college and retirement funding. Basically, I think that if you can't write a check for your car without the slightest amount of pain, you can't afford it. Having said that, it seems like some are “stretching” to obtain their dream.

Am I just overly conservative, or do others see this the same way?
How's the Koolaid?

I mean why on Earth would someone post something like this?
Old 01-01-2008, 07:56 AM
rdstemler
Burning Brakes

Because he can!!!!

It is not like Harvard where you can't even ask the question. Maybe some flames will happen, but for the most part we do get some reasonable discussions on a wide variety of topics!

If you don't believe me, ask Ghetto Racer or OCBen!!!
Old 01-01-2008, 08:52 AM
TX996
Advanced

The ol' "I don't mean to insult anyone but you are all too poor to have this nice of a thing"

I live off the rich like that who have $100k cars and turn them in every 5 minutes because they do not know who they are and are trying to figure it out with material things. This is only my opinion but since some have dropped theirs here is mine. I love them, I do not hate them. They are financial teat I suckle off of to have really nice things that some would pressume to throw away as soon as the next nice thing comes along. If it came from a poor soul who got themselves in over their head and I am the benefactor of that then I feel sad for that person but am not co-dependant enough to lament so much as to not take advantage of it.

Free will is the best. I can use my money for whatever I like, right or wrong. If I am stupid enough to get myself in over my head that is my fault.

In my case I do not make 4 times the value of a car as it has been asserted but conservative values like that always seem to come from people who have, and have in excess. Don't measure yourself against others in all things. Someone is always better, measure against your vision of yourself. At least you have a fighting chance

I speak for the guy who does not drink at bars 2 nights a week for $50-$100 a night, does not go out to dinner 3-4 times a week for more of the same, my wife and I have no children out of choice and we are really happy and still somewhat young and may change our minds on any or that.

That being said I bought a really nice $90k car that was 2 1/2 years old. With a downpayment of 20% saved I am paying a little more than a really nice Camary payment. I held cash because a monkey can make 5% on money right now and loans running in the mid to high 6% range why would I pay off a car when I could hold the cash?

Ratty house in the background? Some people may not care about what you care about. In some places a ratty house can cost $400k plus (California, Florida, etc) or in Dallas you can buy a really nice palace imho for $200k or less.

It all comes down to what is important to you I guess. If you think that you must pay cash or you are out of your depth that seems odd to me. I have a house I love, no unsecured debit and I owe on my car. The fact that it is exactly like some guys $90k car because it is 2 1/2 years old with 15k miles is a bonus to me when I bought it for a whisper over $60k. It seems odd to me to buy a new one when the depreciation curve costs $30k, 1/2 of the amount I paid for mine but the then again, thet is THEIR decision.

If I get in money trouble I can sell mine because I own it for WAY less than the depreciation curve and keep it that way for just such a circumstance. I have the cash to make 1 years payments in the bank so I can make intrest of that money and have cash in case of hard times because I belive in my own ability to get out of it and that is my financial insurance policy.

I guess I am saying that maybe the world does not fit everyones cookie cutter views. It is natural to look at the world and compare it to yourself I guess but I never really question other folks motives. They are who they are and I am who I am.

They want a child with childcare running $900 a month, food and diapers more along with other car and entertainment? All of a sudden a $750 car payment sounds kinda silly by comparison from a $ standpoint, but again that is their decision.

I just love the car that that is my personal vice (well that and travel). I only come here to find people who have a love of the same vice that I do, and drive it. The jugdements on the means and ways they found their way to the love I share does not really matter to me (just don't steal or anything naughty like that).

Come friends who have a love of the P-Car. If you have today and tommorow it may be taken for financial circumstances? I say better to have loved and lost then to never have loved at all (within reason). This car does not define me but it really pleases me. Bring yours and if you have a ratty house we can hang at mine if need be, if you don't have a lot of money we can just sit and talk about our cars and drive them around, hell I wil leven buy ya' a burger or a beer also. If you have the money to track your car at a DE I will see you there too. I don't judge you, I just wanna' look at your P-Car too!.

Happy New Year from Texas. I hope you always have the means to keep yours and never at the expense of the standard of living that YOU choose.
Old 01-01-2008, 09:03 AM
maxmissy
Track Day

Default why cash?

Why pay cash when you can borrow at 6.5% and invest to get a better return?
Old 01-01-2008, 10:01 AM
Tinluver
Instructor

I have enjoyed taking part in other forums in the past.Both automotive and high end collectibles.Never has anyone taken such time and effort to discuss who could afford what.I find this thread very unappealing.
Old 01-01-2008, 10:06 AM
geof
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

As for the original question- where these cars fit on Maslow's pyramid, I think that Porsches exist for the most part towards the upper end of the pyramid- satisfies the need for self-esteem, the need for aesthetics, and perhaps the need for self-actualization. I tend to think of mine as mostly satisfying the need for aesthetics and providing me with experiences to enrich my life.
Old 01-01-2008, 10:08 AM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

Waste of server space IMHO.
Old 01-01-2008, 10:22 AM
jjporsch43
Instructor

This subject doesn't belong on this forum....who cares what you make-It doesn't carry any weight with me and I'm not starving living over here in Europe.....

John J
SATexas/Croatia

Quick Reply: Porsche's position on Maslow's Hierarchy?