Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is OCBEN banned?

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2007, 11:31 PM
pl
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

once upon a time, when ben was banned, he came out with a long post called "war-time story" or some thing like that.
any way, what happened in OT, belongs OT.
Old 12-31-2007, 02:41 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,026 Likes on 729 Posts

Originally Posted by Soulteacher
Again, getting the facts straight would be a first step into the right direction; otherwise it just ignites more flames. THAT specific quote is a quote by DerivativesGuy (yes, the main critic of OCBen in this thread) and can hardly be used to make that point in this context (when the quote was made, DG was relatively new to the forum and since then his perception has changed).

You could also say that getting your perception straight is another step in the right direction. Sounds like you think I failed to mention the author of that quote by accident when in fact I omitted it because he obviously has had a change of heart since he wrote it. That doesn't make the quote itself less valid though since it shows how a great deal of people feel about bullies. Some may change their mind with time but a lot of them don't and find comfort in knowing they have the loudest most obnoxious voice on their side.

So what you're saying is that a quote can only be used to demonstrate the mindset of the author himself.....?

Oh, and I still take issue with his initial assessment by the way:

"Sometimes leaders need to be stern and often they come across as "know it alls" but often times it is because they do know more than most of us."

Unless you're submissive by nature, do you really need to get acquainted to recognize that arrogance doesn't necessarily represent leadership and/or superior knowledge?
Old 12-31-2007, 03:12 AM
PAULSPEED
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi,
I am not defending Ben. I thought some of his wit was very
much fun to read. I will miss his desire to tell others that he is right
and that others are in another world. Humor often takes different sides
to make a point.
Paul
Old 12-31-2007, 12:35 PM
Soulteacher
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by sandwedge
You could also say that getting your perception straight is another step in the right direction.
Wedge, you are absolutely correct and hit the nail on the head. One of the biggest problems is perception... since it is the recipient of the sensory stimulus who selects, organizes, and interprets the information or parts of it, the sender can often do whatever they want and still not be successful in transmitting the intended message (welcome to the tricky world of consumer marketing); rather, the recipient's perceptive biases and preexisting attitudes-towards-the-object (or: subject) may lead to misinterpretations.

For example, even though both you and DG joined last April and even though OCBen has had relatively few posts in the 997 forum since then (most of which seem really neutral), you and/or DG (apparently) consider him a bully/ obnoxious/ arrogant/ banworthy/ etc. (please correct me if I'm wrong). Based on other comments we've seen in these two threads, some Rennlisters have radically opposite perceptions, some have more differentiated opinions, some have no opinions, and so on. So who is right and who is wrong? You are correct in that it's all about perception...

That's why (and I have said it twice and will say it once more) I am not defending Ben per se (I know that's impossible because of perceptive biases and preexisting attitudes); rather, I tried to encourage everyone to stick to the facts and not to throw numbers around that simply were false. We all know that we are going to interpret the information differently, but at least let the information be factually correct.

The whole discussion may be irrelevant anyway since over the past 6-9 months Ben has really become an OT guy and as pl said, stuff from the OT should stay over there; the OT is a whole different world by itself with different rules and tougher players. Obviously, we don't make love with a virgin like we make love with an experienced bondage partner... Let's just remind ourselves (including you and me and DG and Ben) that we are the virgins over here...

HAPPY NEW YEAR!
Old 12-31-2007, 01:48 PM
Leader
Rennlist Member

Received 521 Likes on 163 Posts

Internet forums with their secondhand anonymity are a fertile ground for provocation and misunderstanding.
There's a big difference between, "You're wrong, you idiot!" and, "I disagree with you, here's why."
As longtime posters "get to know" each other through frequent exchanges, liberties get taken...just as friends can "kid" each other in ways that might appear impolite to outsiders.
While it's difficult to remember, it bears repeating - confrontation, aggression, and rudeness, have no more place here than they would at a social gathering like a party.
But, if someone is "pushing your buttons," maybe the perceived poking finger in your face is actually a nudge in your ribs.
So, again - just like at a party, if someone is bugging you, walk away (put 'em on your Ignore List) and talk to someone else.
I still hope OCBen comes back.
Old 12-31-2007, 03:28 PM
Holli82
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 22 Posts

Come back Ben!
Old 01-02-2008, 07:30 PM
Dariof
Not an Addict?
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by OCBen's Wife
At least now that he is banned, Ben has time for me again!
Funny post.

I had lunch with your husband about a month ago when I was in California. We met at a restaurant near your house.

It was a very pleasant afternoon. I found Ben to be very nice and enjoyed our conversation.

Sorry I kept him away from you those few hours..,...Perhaps next time you can join us!!
Old 01-14-2008, 07:04 PM
rome
Rennlist Member

Is OC Ben still inthe penalty box?

Lifetime ban?

Well, I guess he always has the mini cooper board.
Old 01-14-2008, 07:22 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 426 Likes on 221 Posts

Originally Posted by rome
Is OC Ben still inthe penalty box?

Lifetime ban?

Well, I guess he always has the mini cooper board.
Nah, he'll be back online soon.
He's just been on holiday!
Old 01-14-2008, 07:32 PM
rome
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Coochas
Nah, he'll be back online soon.
He's just been on holiday!
I hope he's having better weather than us!
Old 01-14-2008, 07:37 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 426 Likes on 221 Posts

Originally Posted by rome
I hope he's having better weather than us!
Little bit of the white stuff today for sure. I have to say though that the trees really look beautiful with all that snow and it quiets down the city nicely.
Old 01-14-2008, 07:59 PM
cmoss

internet forums = gigo
Old 01-14-2008, 09:13 PM
akim47
Racer

im new here. ive been reading a lot of posts, but never posted/ asked questions b/c of some of his responses. sometimes people come on the boards to find info and get questions answered rather than to constantly deal w/ the sarcastic replies for one's own amusement...

i think its fine if you know the author and joke around, but its like when a car salesman starts joking like he's my f..king best friend...
Old 01-14-2008, 09:17 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by akim47
im new here. ive been reading a lot of posts, but never posted/ asked questions b/c of some of his responses.
Sadly, it's true that Ben often went after noobs. It was really unfortunate, and no doubt scared a number of them off.
Old 01-14-2008, 11:08 PM
Soulteacher
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by akim47
im new here. ive been reading a lot of posts, but never posted/ asked questions b/c of some of his responses.
You registered six days ago. Ben has hardly been in this forum for the past six months. With or without Ben, feel free to post your questions now, we'd be happy to assist you.
Originally Posted by mglobe
Sadly, it's true that Ben often went after noobs (...) and no doubt scared a number of them off.
Come on, guys, not again... if that conclusion was factually true, then logically we'd have a lot of OCBen posts following posts by authors with low post counts. Which we don't.

This topic has been discussed inside-out in two different threads in the past four weeks. I don't know why some people can't let go. In either case, don't worry, Ben will be back. And as it has been for over six months now, you'll be able to find him in the OT, rather than the 997 forum.

Quick Reply: Is OCBEN banned?