Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Short Shift Kit - Pros and Cons

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2007, 04:29 PM
adfsouth
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the B&M and am very happy with it. If you're in South Florida, order one from Eric at Bumperplugs for $199 and have a reputable shop like Jay Putnam Engineering in Delray Beach install it for an hour or so of labor cost.
Old 12-15-2007, 05:09 PM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,041 Likes on 736 Posts

With the shortened movement of your hand you need to apply more force to select gears, particularly when cold. Due to the decrease in leverage and increase in linkage movement short shift kits put more strain on the synchros and guide sleeves as the operator normally will not make the requisite momentary pause before engaging the next gear (with the shortened hand movement the gear shift now becomes one continuous motion), with the short shift kit your hand motion had better be more precise or you will grab the wrong gear and your gearbox still won’t shift any faster.

That's what you said last time this came up so I'll use my old response too then

I have to disagree with most of that based on 6,000 miles with a short shift kit. Granted, I'm in Florida so any cold temperature issues don't apply but other than that, I think the short kit improves the feel of the shifter......period. More force? Not hardly. I can shift into any gear using two fingertips including first as long as I'm 15 mph or below. "Grab the wrong gear'? Not once and not even close. The 997 6- speed is probably the best manual transmission I ever laid my right hand on and the short kit only makes it better imo.
Old 12-15-2007, 05:45 PM
cole328
Three Wheelin'

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks AdF My office is in delray beach, so that is really close As I put on a previous post, Champion (where I bought the car) was going to hit me up for $700 installed on the shortshifter....darn steep. Do you have a tel # for Jay Putnam? Are they a qualified porsche dealer? I was also thinking of adding some different muffler cans as I would lke a more throaty sound...not so concerned about the HP....have you done any other mods to your car?
Old 12-15-2007, 06:27 PM
Phil G.
Race Car

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Phil G.
Interesting responses - you'll see predominantly positive comments re. SSK on the 996 board. The stock shifters much be signficantly improved on the 997.
Glad I got consensus from the 997 folks....

Originally Posted by MichaelL
The stock shift on a 997 has a long throw & increases the time needed to shift. It is also somewhat vague. The short shift has a much reduced travel & increases the required effort. Even after break-in it is sometimes stiff going into first, particularly when cold.

With due consideration of all this, it should be standard equipment or a no cost option.

Old 12-15-2007, 06:45 PM
adfsouth
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cole328
Thanks AdF My office is in delray beach, so that is really close As I put on a previous post, Champion (where I bought the car) was going to hit me up for $700 installed on the shortshifter....darn steep. Do you have a tel # for Jay Putnam? Are they a qualified porsche dealer? I was also thinking of adding some different muffler cans as I would lke a more throaty sound...not so concerned about the HP....have you done any other mods to your car?
Jay is an independant shop owner who specializes in P-cars. He has raced and worked on Porsches for over 2 decades. I've had him do work on my car on multiple occasions and trust him completely. Others on the site have had good experiences as well. See link: http://jpe.bz/

IMHO, I am not an aftermarket muffler guy.
Old 12-15-2007, 06:54 PM
cole328
Three Wheelin'

Jay Thanks yeah not sure that I am going to change out the mufflers..I am a 40yo Porsche driver, and don't want to sound and look like a "ricky racer" guy that said, I have heard some Porsche's that really do sound beautiful on the road The other option I am considering are the H&R springs from Champion...thought it would make the wheel gap look better and also add some increased handling (not that it is needed ha) Your car looks lowered (and looks great) What did you do out of curiosity? Also, can you point me to where you purchased the chrome Exhaust tips?
cole
Old 12-15-2007, 06:58 PM
Tinluver
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ditto on the short shifter.Just had it installed on my 08;huge improvement.I've been driving stick shift for 25 years.SS is way to go!
Old 12-15-2007, 09:09 PM
texas911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The 911 is a sports car, thus get the sports shifter! It should be standard on a sports car.
Old 12-15-2007, 10:13 PM
ryanawesome
Advanced

I think gt3 shift assemblies bolt in, oem but still crisp and short. Dont quote me on the install though.
Old 12-15-2007, 10:51 PM
Tinluver
Instructor

Picked up 08 C2S coupe about a month ago.Been driving Toyota Supras for 25 years, all sticks.I was not that blown away by the shifting in my new 911.I felt the throws were very long, and took away the crispness of the driving experience that this car obviously has to offer. Not being thrilled and checking out all the threads on this great site I went for it and had a Porsche short shifter installed.I am very happy with the change.Feels much more what I would expect from a $100K
sports car.Have no problem with notchiness in the cold weather and the shorter throws make the change well worth it and a much sleeker driving experience.
Old 12-16-2007, 12:46 AM
cole328
Three Wheelin'

Tin - I am likely going to do it this next week will probably buy the B&M as has been suggested and have it installed I have the same car as you What brand did you get and what it it cost, all in, installed?
Old 12-16-2007, 01:31 AM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Received 218 Likes on 108 Posts

I love my OEM SSK.
Old 12-16-2007, 11:00 AM
Tinluver
Instructor

Cole, I went for original Porsche short shifter and unfortunatley paid top $ for it.It cost $799 at a dealer and that was a special they had.All dealers where I am in NY get $995.I do not know any shops I was going yo trust my new car with.Also just had full clear bra installed and very happy so far.Just need some sunny, dry days, to rack up some miles
Old 12-16-2007, 11:12 AM
Eric - Plug Guy
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 194 Likes on 108 Posts

For $199 you can get the B&M (as mentioned earlier), on our site, all day, every day.

For about 90 minutes of labor, you can install it yourself.

Or an indy can install it for less than 2 hours labor charge.

Either way, just do it. B&M or factory, you can't go wrong. We move a ton of B&M units for 997 (all variants), and everyone is happy with it.

2022 GT3 Touring
2009 997 Turbo Cab
2018 M2 6sp

Gone but not forgotten
2004 C4S Cabriolet
1999 C2 Cab

Quick Reply: Short Shift Kit - Pros and Cons