Sponsored by:

Advice wanted on ordering '09 C2s

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2007, 01:24 PM
Laertes
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Advice wanted on ordering '09 C2s

I'm looking for advice on the best approach to obtaining a good deal on a '09 C2S and wondering if anyone went through a similar process to set up a deal on an '08 or '07 before they had been released.

I'm looking to purchase a pretty well equipped car, and am willing to either travel anywhere in the country (I'm in the Pac NW) and drive it back or have it shipped.

Have people been successful in the past setting up deals in advance of release? And if so, how did you handle paperwork-- did you get the deal in writing and that you would receive an allocation, hopefully the first available? My local dealer is suggesting that allocations for '09 C2S' might be so tight they won't even get one-- though they're a pretty big dealer, so I suspect that's a negotiating ploy to get me to buy an '08 off their lot.

What kind of deal is reasonable to hope for (i.e. percentage off MSRP) for a car that hasn't even been released-- how have people done in the past?

Finally, does anyone have any suggestions for specific dealerships or salespersons with whom to work?

Thanks.
Old 12-13-2007, 01:40 PM
MartyB
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

While I think it makes sense to place a deposit for an early build allocation, I think it is premature to try to work a deal on an unreleased car. I can't imagine that the facelifted C2S will be hard to get once production gets going. Of course, that will probably be the dealer line for a while. Make sure your deposit is refundable and get a feel for the market once production opens up. Worst case scenario will be that your dealer wants too much, you get your deposit back and wait 30-60 days for a car ordered elsewhere. After a very frustrating few weeks dealing with multiple dealers on leftover '07 cars, I am really close to ordering an '08 S coupe with a January build at 10.5% off MSRP. I'm interested to see what sort of price increase will come with the '09 facelift, especially in light of the weak dollar.
Old 12-13-2007, 01:52 PM
Laertes
Rennlist Member

Marty-- I'm going through essentially the same thing (looking for leftover '07 but without much luck and now considering an '09 instead-- though for the right deal I'd do an '08). My dealer is willing to give me only a ridiculously small discount off an '08 on his lot. Would you mind divulging which dealer gave you that much off an '08 (I tried to find a private message function on this website so you wouldn't have to broadcast that info if you didn't want to, but either it doesn't exist or I don't have the privileges to do it).

Thanks.
Old 12-13-2007, 04:44 PM
MartyB
Racer

Laertes,

I don't mind sharing with you privately who I am working with, but I need to ask him first if he cares if I identify him and I need to get my deal nailed down first. If you can hang on for a few days, I might be able to discuss it with you. To private message, click on the name of the person to whom you wish to send a message and then click "Send PM to ___". I'm not sure if you can do it with only 2 posts.
Old 12-13-2007, 05:05 PM
Laertes
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MartyB
Laertes,

I don't mind sharing with you privately who I am working with, but I need to ask him first if he cares if I identify him and I need to get my deal nailed down first. If you can hang on for a few days, I might be able to discuss it with you. To private message, click on the name of the person to whom you wish to send a message and then click "Send PM to ___". I'm not sure if you can do it with only 2 posts.
Marty-- It won't let me PM you (I must be too junior) but you should be able to PM me. If your salesperson doesn't mind you sharing it would help me a lot. Thanks.
Old 12-13-2007, 05:35 PM
marky522
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am sending you PM right now, i have a salesman at our dealer that will work with you to get you into what you want.

Mark
Old 12-13-2007, 06:13 PM
nyca
Drifting

Received 906 Likes on 504 Posts

an 09? if the DSG makes it into the 09 car, my prediction is that demand for it will be off the charts. But no one knows that for sure yet.
Old 12-14-2007, 12:12 AM

If the '09 does in fact get the DFI and or DSG treatment etc, left over '08's should then be had for a very, very good price.
Old 12-14-2007, 05:48 PM
nyca
Drifting

I think the DFI for 2009 is a given, because Porsche needs to lower their CO2 emissions to meet euro regs. What happens with the 2012 regulations, is anybody's guess - no way a 911 in current form can meet those. Imagine a German produced auto, that couldn't be sold in Germany.
Old 12-15-2007, 12:02 PM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Place deposit, get your name on a wait list
Expect to pay MSRP...
WAIT
Old 12-15-2007, 01:00 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

My advice is to monitor Rennlist and Rennteam and decide upfront what you want in your 997. This is what I did for my 06. You will be able to negotiate on the 09 just like any other car. Don't think for a minute that they will be (1) rare or (2) beyond negotiation. Porsche has cranked out over 100,000 of these 997 bodies since they started in 04 and the last thing you need to worry about is the market drying up! Right now I'm looking at brand new 997 Turbos discounted on the showroom floor to clear them from the 07 inventories.
Old 12-15-2007, 03:16 PM
Vegasguy
Intermediate

In January (07) I started contacting quite a few dealers in Arizona, Calif., and here in Nevada in anticipation of purchasing a 08' C2S. I settled on my local dealer here in Las Vegas, and was happy with the purchase process. On April 10th, I ordered the '08 C2S, using the available '07 information, and put down a (sizeable) deposit. 2007 P-cars were still in production, so I made sure everyone knew I was ordering the '08 (checked dealer paperwork, manufacturing codes, etc.). I ordered (sight unseen) the new '08 Macadamia Metallic color. The car was completed and shipped on July 13th, just before the factory shut down for the summer holiday, and I took delivery on August 24th. The dealer and I had agreed that I would also pay the inevitable '08 price increase. I'm very happy that I got my order in and got the car so early.
Probably one of the reason I bought locally is that the out of town dealers didn't take me seriously, as I was only interested in ordering a '08.
Hope this helps your decision.
Old 12-16-2007, 05:17 AM
JasonNY
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Does anyone know when we can expect to get official info from Porsche on '09 changes?
Old 12-16-2007, 10:25 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

talked to my dealer about this yesterday when I was taking delivery on a new 2007 997S Coupe. They are not even allocating, ordering or know for sure if there are any major changes for 2009 yet.
Old 12-16-2007, 02:12 PM
nyca
Drifting

this is billed as a spy video of the 997 turbo facelift. You can see some of the changes that are known to be in the car, because of government regulation - the elongated nose, the larger side view mirrors. You can also see the LED tail lights.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8RrIDnoCPSs

The DFI engine has to be in the 2009 car, because without it, Porsche can't meet euro CO2 regulations. About the only item still in question for 2009 right now, is the DSG.

Quick Reply: Advice wanted on ordering '09 C2s