Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What Option(s) Do You Wish You Did ~NOT~ Get?

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2007 | 10:27 PM
Le Chef
Three Wheelin'

My only real regret was getting that POS Sport Chrono. The "wart" looks ugly and is useless for timing anything other how long you can hold your breath. The sharper throttle response doesn't work on the track or on the road - too jerky. The only thing I would like is the more relaxed PSM. hopefully Porsche will find a way to make these things separate as Ferrari has done with the 430 Stradale.
Old 12-07-2007 | 10:30 PM
Tinluver
Instructor

Sport Chrono probably good for resale if one cares
Old 12-07-2007 | 10:49 PM
Leader
Rennlist Member

It's interesting that the opinions are so diverse on this topic - some love the Sport Shifter, others wouldn't order it again.
I love my Black Gauges (yes, no charge) on my all Black C2S. I got Sport Chrono, Sport Shifter, and Sports Exhaust. I'd get 'em all again.
I ordered my car with Sport Design wheels. Swapped 'em a year later for Carrera Sport Wheels painted Black. The Sport Designs are great looking, but a royal PITA to keep clean.
I like the Nav. I'm not nuts about the Bose, but I'm growing to like it better after two years.
I do wish we could order "Sunroof delete" in the U.S. I never use mine.
Options are so subjective. But, in the end, you're still driving the best 911 Porsche has ever made IMO.
Old 12-07-2007 | 11:31 PM
mdrums
Race Director

If I was going to buy a Porsche and keep it for a while I would not get:

Bose and Nav.

You can have such a better aftermarket system installed for around the same price.

personally I would not get again:
supple leather seats
heated seats : I live in Florida and never have needed them
a Cabriolet: I need a coupe for track days and like the coupe looks better
full leather: looks nice but way to much $$ for what you get.
Old 12-07-2007 | 11:58 PM
InTheAir
Nordschleife Master

This is a fun topic to read--there are such differing opinions.

I ~have~ to get the power seats (my wife will be driving the car occasionally and I would rather have my settings programs and be able to quickly get it back to exactly where it was--call it OCD).
I ~have~ to get heated seats (I live in MI and will be driving yearround)

I'm surprised that the Bose was on the "bad option" list, since it seemed that it was really the only "game in town" for that locations (unique display area).

I'm becoming more and more comfortable with leaving SC off. We'll see if I waffle over the next couple months.

What are the thoughts from those who got the illuminated sills? I know it's a bit "pimp'ish" but there is some draw to it for me.....
Old 12-08-2007 | 12:17 AM
cleanme
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by InTheAir
This is a fun topic to read--there are such differing opinions.

I ~have~ to get the power seats (my wife will be driving the car occasionally and I would rather have my settings programs and be able to quickly get it back to exactly where it was--call it OCD).
I ~have~ to get heated seats (I live in MI and will be driving yearround)

I'm surprised that the Bose was on the "bad option" list, since it seemed that it was really the only "game in town" for that locations (unique display area).

I'm becoming more and more comfortable with leaving SC off. We'll see if I waffle over the next couple months.

What are the thoughts from those who got the illuminated sills? I know it's a bit "pimp'ish" but there is some draw to it for me.....
Living just outside of Toronto heated seats are a no-brainer same eith yourself in Michigan. The power seats are great, I'm a quadriplegic so power seats are great because they have a big range of adjustability to fit my 6'5" length.

Supple leather, I like it, but normal leather is fine too. Multi function steering wheel is great, bose is good, 6cd changer is nice. Don't have Nav but never need it. What else, full leather is nice but we opted not to get it $$. Carrera Sport wheels look great.

All your options are great BUT, maybe save close to $1000 by not getting the stainless steel exhaust tips. I say this because we had them but got an exhaust system so they sit in the garage. Also, I'd ditch the floormats, they're really thin and basic and you can get Lloyd's floormats with a better design, more substance for less.

We also got a B&M short shifter for $100 after which is nice.

The illuminated door sills are pretty cool, I'd get those next time!
Old 12-08-2007 | 12:23 AM
YA911Fan
Burning Brakes

Still waiting for the PCM delete and dipstick include options...
Old 12-08-2007 | 01:22 AM

If I had to do it over I would have chosen X51, tip (w/ SC), no sports seats and went with classic black...I would have kept everything else the same. My reason for choosing tip is it has greatly improved over the years and shifting can be a pain in the *** sometimes. X51 would even out the performance difference between the tip and 6 speed.

Last edited by 500; 12-08-2007 at 01:48 AM.
Old 12-08-2007 | 12:57 PM
nkhalidi
Rennlist Member

Kind of regret not getting X51 and nav. Both would've made the car more appealing as a long-term proposition. But I tell myself that I saved $17k and that nav is always a retrofit option.

Very happy with everything else: sport chrono, short shift, pccb, full leather, etc. except for the rear wiper. I ordered it because I thought it was unthinkable NOT to have it; now I realize it's eminently useless.
Old 12-08-2007 | 01:13 PM
texas911
Race Car

I regretted not getting the thicker wheel on my C2S, but made sure to get it on my TT. Stock wheel is too think, IMHO. Two tone interior, when I ordered the deviating carpet wasn't available, but now it is.
Old 12-08-2007 | 02:03 PM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Here's my order list: C2S, Cobalt, heated sport seats, fire extinguisher, carpet mats, black dials, and model delete (though my dealer gave me one in case I change my mind, which I won't). No regrets, the car comes with everything I'd ever want and then some.
Old 12-08-2007 | 02:38 PM
roberga
Nordschleife Master

would be nice to have the GT3RS option
Old 12-08-2007 | 03:00 PM
CayenneS2083
Advanced

the only must have options are sport seats, sport steering wheel and HIDs, everything else is unimportant.
Old 12-08-2007 | 03:02 PM
CayenneS2083
Advanced

but to me a few extra little things that stir some more emotion when i look at the car are colored gauges and seat belts and sport design wheels (painted black)
Old 12-08-2007 | 07:05 PM
MLindgren
Three Wheelin'

Default Can yuou post a picture with the black Sport Design Wheels

Originally Posted by CayenneS2083
but to me a few extra little things that stir some more emotion when i look at the car are colored gauges and seat belts and sport design wheels (painted black)
My car is black w/PCCB. I'd like to see the sport design wheels in black.

I regret not having heated seats here in Michigan. I am one of the few who seem to like the SC option. I also like the full leather interior. Given the chance to order a new car I would likely get colored gages and seatbelts. I'm also partial to PCCB's and would order them again as I hate cleaning brake dust. I find the nav system to be good as I generally use it as a map and not necessarily to direct me to a street address however it does an adequate job at that too. Not too sure about the Bose as I've only had a car with it and can't compare to the base system. I much prefer the factory look instead of aftermarket stuff that now come loaded with disco lights. Another option I would get next time is carbon fiber steering wheel. PSE or other aftermarket is much preferred.

If money is an object, I'd get a high option used car before getting a lower option new car if you really want the options. It's one thing to order a car "just the way you want it" versus ordering a car "just the way you want it and can afford".

Quick Reply: What Option(s) Do You Wish You Did ~NOT~ Get?