Sponsored by:

Le Chef's 997 Receives the full detailing treatment

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2007, 01:52 AM
awahl63
Advanced

Received 23 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by uzj100
Have you tried the 106FA yet? I prefer it to FF. And for that little extra, a pass with 85RD is just right.
No I have not. I will have to pick some up pretty soon or at least get a sample.
Old 12-05-2007, 10:07 PM
Le Chef
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Knock-off Turbo Twists

Originally Posted by axhoaxho
Beautiful! I can see she is riding on some winter tires, are those 18" Turbo wheels from 996/986 just bolt rigth on without spacers? Thanks for the information

With best regards,
Bought from Tire Rack with the tires already mounted. Quite honestly I have no idea whether they have spacers or not. They just told me what I needed and the next thing they had arrived at the dealer and they mounted them.
Old 12-10-2007, 10:16 PM
redduck996
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

whats the difference between the Menzerna Polish PO85RD and the Menzerna Polish PO83 (super intensive polish)? Is one just more abrasive then the other? So would you guys say the PO85 is safer then the super intensive?

I'm about to order some along with the opti seal based on Andrew's recommendation.

Oh and I found the nano polish 106ff but where is the 106fa and again what's the difference?

thanks
Old 12-10-2007, 10:25 PM
Deanski
Three Wheelin'

PO85RD is a final finish polish.
On the scale of 1 to 5 with 1 being low and 5 being high it is rated as 1 for cut and 5 for gloss.

Super Intensive or PO85RD 3.01 is rated at 3.5 cut and 3.0 gloss.

Regards,
Deanski
Old 12-10-2007, 10:29 PM
Deanski
Three Wheelin'

106FF rates at 2.5 for cut and 5.0 for gloss.

106FA has the same rating. It's just harder to find.

Regards,
Deanski
Old 12-10-2007, 10:49 PM
redduck996
Burning Brakes

Thanks deanski

so there is no point in getting the 106ff and the po85rd (final finish polish) as they are both almost the same product?

So i should order the po83 (super intensive polish) to cut and either the 106ff or po85rd (final polish) to gloss?
Old 12-10-2007, 11:31 PM
Deanski
Three Wheelin'

You're welcome.

I have a PDF file on all the Menzerna line, but it's too big. Therefore....

GO to this link and select "Coating Repair Systems" download for the PDF.

http://www.menzerna.com/93.html?&L=1

Regards,
Deanski
Old 12-10-2007, 11:38 PM
Deanski
Three Wheelin'

Unless you have a whole lot of swirls then you need the "SIP" to cut through it with a cutting pad.

You could get away with Intensive Polish and PO85RD for finishing. All depends on the tool and pads. Menzerna was designed to be used with a rotary to break them down. They can dust a bit so you know.

If you have mild swirls or marring, then 106FF can do both, it's just going from one pad to another to gain the effect. I myself finish with PO85RD with a polish pad, then finish pad to burnish it to a very high gloss.

Menzerna has a learning curve, it really takes time to learn it correctly, or to make sure you reach it breaking down point.

Some people like the Optimum polishes, but I have never tried them, but hear great results.

Seeing that all I use now is Menzerna, really no need for me to switch. I'm old school from 3M and ClearNBrite "Liquid Ebony" time.

If you use wax, try the Menzerna Glaze, it really sets up a finish for wax!

Regards,
Deanski
Old 12-11-2007, 11:53 AM
redduck996
Burning Brakes

I just ordered the Menzerna products.

I got the super intensive polish, the finishing polish 85RD and the opti-seal.

The tech informed me that the only difference between the intensive and super intensive was that the super intensive was made for ceramic clear coats on German cars. The same goes for the final polish product 85RD versus the less expensive 85U.

They didnt have the 106FA so I went with the 85RD as the final polish.
Old 12-11-2007, 12:35 PM
Deanski
Three Wheelin'

You'll like the results you get from Menzerna.

How are you using it? Rotary or Random Orbital? Pads to use would be a cutting pad or a cut/polish pad, say like an orange pad. SIP will cut/remove defects very well and leave a very good shine without haze when it breaks down.

85RD will give you that super deep wet look when used with a polishing pad or a firm finish pad.

Menzerna does dust a bit, so be aware of that and cover areas not going to be polished to keep the dust down from those areas.

Take your time as these polishes have that bit of a learning curve to other polishes in that they HAVE to break down fully for the polish to work correctly. Do not try to do a large area at one time.

I mist my pads with a QD or just distilled water to help prime the pad with the polish. Once pad is loaded with polish, it goes smoother along the areas.

These polishes also do not fill in any way, these remove defects which is what you want.

After polishing, I normally will wipe down the finish with an IPA mix, Isopropol Alcohol and distilled water before applying anything. This way I know all oils are off the finish, and it's ready for sealant or a wax. A clean finish will help the sealant bond and will last longer. I haven't used Opti-Seal so I cannot give advise on that. I've been using Zaino for a long time and find the new Z5-Pro/Z2-Pro much better. Have yet to try the Zaino CLear Seal, but the Z8 Grand Finale QD is perfect for that added depth look. I use Z6 to clean with, then go over with Z8.

Once you get done, start a new thread and post some pics! I'd love to see how well it went for you.

Regards,
Deanski
Old 12-11-2007, 12:39 PM
redduck996
Burning Brakes

Will do... thanks for the advice

oh, and i have the porter cable. i'll probably use the small orange cut pad and the white and gray polishing pads.

peter
Old 01-09-2008, 12:27 AM
redduck996
Burning Brakes

Default Finished finally!

Finally after 10 hours spread across 3 days, I think I finally finish polishing and "sealing" the car. The Menzerna product is absoluting amazing. I cant get over how glossy, shiney, wet looking, and smooth the car looks. I almost want to leave it in the garage because it looks so perfect. And the fact that i'm terrified of this grueling 3 day process. hahahaha

Should it take this long to polish and seal the car? Perhaps i'm not doing something right. Maybe i'm taking too long to break down the polish, or maybe i'm applying too many coats. I have the PC set to 2-3 to spread the polish, and then up to 5 to break the polish down.

Thanks guys for the recommendation, the stuff is awesome. Even though it doesnt smell as nice as zaino.

I didnt realize how much dusting the SIP polish produces. I assume that once the SIP dust, its time to remove the polsih with a microfiber towel. With the 85RD, the dusting is not as visible, so how do I know if the polish has been broken down?

The sealant application was easy but i'm not so sure i'm fond of opti-seal. I'm pretty sure I didnt over spray but after the application, the car did not look as shiney nor did it feel as smooth as it felt after the menzerna 85rd. There was also a slight haze with the opti-seal no matter how hard I tried to wipe/buff it off with the little yellow foam pad that came with the product.

Lastly, how often should I polish the car? I would think that using too much of the SIP can not be good for the clearcoat. There's only so many coats on the car right? Should I be doing something else in between the polishes? Would I be able to just wash and maybe seal the car in a few months or perhaps use zaino, zymol or mothers carnuba wax?

thanks again for everyones help...
Old 01-09-2008, 12:48 AM
fskof
Rennlist Member

Received 189 Likes on 110 Posts

Menzerna 106FF is the best stuff I have ever used! It does dust a little but the results are great.

Deanski does know what hes talking about. I have seen his posts on http://autopia.org/

I have not tried Optimum Opti- Seal but am planning on to this spring. How long has it been lasting for you guys and does it work well on glass?

Thanks
Old 01-09-2008, 01:34 AM
redduck996
Burning Brakes

oh, one more thing. Do you guys have oil or grease on your glass? It keeps coming back no matter how often I wipe down the interior. Is this just a case of too much oil or lubrication in the door sills or is this a porsche thing? wondering if i should have the dealer look into it.

I've heard opti-seal can be used on glass.
Old 01-09-2008, 02:06 AM
uzj100
Burning Brakes

Received 66 Likes on 40 Posts

If I might add a bit to Deanski's comments (and what others have said too) on Menzerna. These polishes are fantastic, though it takes a little time to get used to them and the dusting. However, I've found that if you mist your pads very, very lightly with some distilled water and knead it into the pad so that it's barely damp this does help reduce the dusting until the pad is fully "primed" with product. And working smaller areas helps too. As to how long to work it, etc. With a PC left to rignt, up and down, then left to right again, overlapping each pass by about half is generally the "right" amount of time. I would call this one "pass".

Also, SIP (PO 83) is the same as PO 85 RD 3.02 per Jeff Silvers of Menzerna USA. If you have SIP, 106FF (or 106FA) and 85RD you should have all your bases covered. I might suggest you try a pass or two with 106 via white pad to see what level of correction you get. If that doesn't take care of your swirls, try using SIP on the white pad or 106 on orange. You can finish everything up with the 106 on a black pad (or even blue) if you used SIP, then maybe a pass with 85RD if you like.

If you're using a rotary I like to do a couple of passes at about 700 (I have a Metabo), then bump it to about 1100 for a couple of passes, another bump to 1500 to get it broken down, then finish it up at about 1100 or so.

I love the 106FF, but prefer 106FA, which I recently got. I've attached a couple of pictures of the lower right rear "bumper" area that I made a quick pass on with a Flex and white LC pad just to get a quick feel of the 106FA. This may give you an idea of the level of marring that 106 can take care of. Hitting this area again with 85RD and a black pad will make it pretty much flawless.

HTH

Quick Reply: Le Chef's 997 Receives the full detailing treatment