Color combinations, looking for advice

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2007, 09:07 AM
dD/dt
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Color combinations, looking for advice

Here's the situation:

I'm a few months from ordering my 997 (C2S coupe). I'm going to be joining a group in Orange County NY as a surgeon next year. It's a pretty low-key group, and I'm going to push some buttons as it is buying this instead of a Volvo.

So I want to find a color combo that doesn't scream "Look at me." This means no speed yellow, no guards red.

The question is, what looks good, i.e. understated but attractive? I'm thinking:

Meteor grey metallic/cocoa
Dark olive metallic/natural brown

Other ideas?
Old 11-24-2007, 10:26 AM
crg1717
Advanced

go visit some larger dealers in your area . check websites for inventory to see all colors . also auto shows sometime have good color combos . I am happy with my slate gray but might you may want to look at atlas . good luck . crg
Old 11-24-2007, 10:38 AM
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 196 Likes on 131 Posts

White with natural brown.
Old 11-24-2007, 10:38 AM
Vjgtrybno1
Rennlist Member

And as good as pictures are these days, it's better to see the colors firsthand. I was sure I wanted sand beige interior with silver or white exterior from the pictures, but after seeing it in person, decided on white/black. You also should consider that some interior parts are always black - at least on the sand beige cars I saw, which changes the look. I didn't want a dark interior due to heat in the summer, but ended up with white/black and had the glass tinted to minimize heat gain. The result is a pretty cool effect with the black wheels and glass against the alpine white body.
Old 11-24-2007, 10:41 AM
nkhalidi
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

If you like bright look-at-me colors but want to remain relatively low-key, try a brighter interior color like carrera red, terracotta, or a color-to-sample. You can also play down these colors using the two-tone option or deviating dash and carpets.

That's the route I went; my car is basalt over terracotta/black. Outside it's conservative, inside it's nice and loud
Old 11-24-2007, 01:10 PM
Phil G.
Race Car

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Atlas/Black - is there any other?? Honestly, with Porsche there are so many beautiful combinations out there both conservative and 'in your face' - many opt for black/silver/grays - and there are various options to each of those as well. Here's one link to color choices - there are several out there. Good luck and have fun hunting for one
you love.

http://www.europeanspeed.com/excolors.htm
Old 11-24-2007, 01:20 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 426 Likes on 221 Posts

Originally Posted by crg1717
go visit some larger dealers in your area . check websites for inventory to see all colors . also auto shows sometime have good color combos . I am happy with my slate gray but might you may want to look at atlas . good luck . crg
This is an excellent suggestion. Don't forget that the Boxsters and Caymans come in most of the same colors - i.e. you just need to see a big hunk of any Porsche in the color you want. I did this at Ira with Alfie when he had a SY, GR and Cobalt Boxster all at the same time on the lot...it's what sold me on SY.

Don't forget, good surgeons are the ones who work well with their anesthesiologists! So be a good boy!
Old 11-24-2007, 01:51 PM
mal28
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

as a fellow resident in the snow belt (and MD) , consider how the car looks with dirt, black, atlas and other dark colors show every speck, GT siver hides salt and dirt well

Cocoa is outstanding! I have it and love it
Old 11-25-2007, 08:36 AM
dD/dt
Racer

Thanks for all the input.

Going out to dealers and eyeballing colors sounds pretty smart. And like a good excuse to go out and hang around with some new P-cars for a while.

I love the cocoa interior. In fact, my local dealer had a new turbo in white/cocoa, and I couldn't believe how good it looked. I never would have guessed that a 997 carries white so well.
Old 11-25-2007, 12:56 PM
printemps2001
Instructor

Some of the dark greys (slate, meteor) are very nice and I'd combine them with a brighter interior (terracotta or carrera red). Guards Red and Speed yellow are great but I'd do them with a black interior. Whatever you do, get what you like and don't fall into the trap of this color will hurt my resale, etc. And especially don't convince yourself that if you buy a 911 in silver or black that people will mistake it for a Camry. It may not stand out as much but unless you live in LA, you won't lose your car in a WalMart parking lot.

Personally, I have Guards Red on Black with some Guards Red painted interior bits.

Also, if you are willing to spring for the paint to sample, Mexico Blue is GORGEOUS.
Old 11-25-2007, 06:01 PM
mal28
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if you go for cocoa, go all the way, I got cocoa roofliner, sunvisors, dome light surround, and center console, the stand foor is gray, not a good match for cocoa

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-forum/363611-here-she-is.html
https://rennlist.com/forums/997-forum/364486-pictures-of-gt-silver-cocooa.html

Quick Reply: Color combinations, looking for advice