Sponsored by:

Driving School IN So Cal???

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2007, 12:49 AM
MyEmily
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Driving School IN So Cal???

Can anyone recommend a good driving school in So Calif? After reading / discussing past topic and knowing myself often driving over the speed limit regularly. Feel like I needed a good driving lesson. Willing to travel to Southern Nevada. TIA

Peter
Old 11-22-2007, 02:50 AM
NNH
Burning Brakes

An alternative is to go to Northern Nevada and speed legally at the Silver State Classic

Last edited by NNH; 11-22-2007 at 03:00 AM. Reason: Adding of smiley 'cos I'm just kidding around
Old 11-22-2007, 06:04 PM
JSMDMD
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Driving schools...

I have been to the 3 day Corvette driving school at Spring Mountain in Parumph, NV just outside of Las Vegas. It was a good class on a fun track.
I have also heard on here very good things about the PDE in Birmingham.
Old 11-23-2007, 01:27 AM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Really consider doing the Porsche Sport Driving School (formerly PDE)
http://www.porschedriving.com

Great instruction, Great Track, you will be glad you did
Old 11-23-2007, 01:46 AM
JFScheck
Addict
Rennlist Member

Come on down to San Diego and I'll take you on some back roads out to the dessert....

OK - just kidding - pay the money and go to PDE - money WELL SPENT!!!

Old 11-23-2007, 01:52 AM
Irksome
Racer

The San Diego Region of the Porsche Club of America puts on a twice yearly Performance Driving School, and a better value will never be found. You just missed the latest, held a couple weekends ago. Next one is going to be next year, probably around April. You can go to www.pcasdr.org to see more info about this region's activities. The PDS is a Friday night chalk talk, all day Saturday driving exercises, and all day Sunday instructional autocross. You must be a member to attend, and I highly recommend it, especially if you are just getting into performance driving.

We also have regular autocrosses (next one in a couple weeks) at which you can get (and will be required to take for your first few events) instruction. The club also organizes DE and TT events.

I know the Orange Coast Region also has a pretty active driving group, you might want to check them out as well.

I don't know much about the big track courses, though I know there are lots of options up in Willow Springs.
Old 11-23-2007, 03:29 AM
MyEmily
Racer

Thx Irk.

Guess that's what I'm looking for. My Local PCA. Wondering L.A. chapter offer what you've just described. If not, OC than SD...

Thx for all the replies...
Old 11-23-2007, 10:34 AM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by MyEmily
Thx Irk.

Guess that's what I'm looking for. My Local PCA. Wondering L.A. chapter offer what you've just described. If not, OC than SD...

Thx for all the replies...
Sadly the LA PCA chapter is worthless when it comes to driving events let alone driver education. There is none.....
San Diego is the "BIG DOG" for driving events and their Performance Driving School is top notch.
OCR in the past couple of years has become quite active under the lead of Steve Equina.

Do seriously consider PDE!!!!
Old 11-23-2007, 11:41 AM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

The Porsche Owners Club is the predominent racing and DE organization in So Cal. PCA LA or OC is for Sunday breakfast drives. PCA San Diego has their performance driving school which I've heard is well presented.

POC's DE driving school is held twice a year. The next event will be Jan. 26th at The Streets of Willow track at Willow Springs. The course is divided into sections with classroom instruction followed by lots of on-track instruction. This is repeated throughout the day. There's time spent on the skidpad working on car control and testing the limits of your car's traction, time spent walking the track looking at all the components that comprise a turn and learning how to read and set up a turn, time spent driving the track just practicing. It's really fun and challenging, you'll learn lots about your car and your skills. It's always held on a Saturday and the next day (Sunday) is an open short track event that you can participate in.

http://www.porscheownersclub.org/
Old 11-23-2007, 02:00 PM
Holli82
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 23 Posts

The spring mountain course in Pahrump is a good bet. There is a Corvette school and a Lotus school. It's a fun course that forgives you when you make a mistake. Don't go in June-August......too hot.

Been to PDE in Alabama too. I echo what others have said. Very good experience. Great instructors and track. This should be done at least once by every Porsche enthusiast.
Old 11-23-2007, 03:44 PM
NNH
Burning Brakes

In the meantime, Buttonwillow will be holding their Performance Driving School in December. There is not a great deal of classroom time, but lots of laps with good instructors, plus skidpad time. I'll be tehre on 12/15. See http://www.buttonwillowraceway.com/clinic.htm
Old 11-23-2007, 09:35 PM
MyEmily
Racer

Where is Buttonwillow?? PDE in ALAbama is too far for me. I would loved to go but works tied me into the west coast.

Thx for the responses
Old 11-23-2007, 10:59 PM
NNH
Burning Brakes

Buttonwillow is about 2 hours north of LA on the 5. It's quite a technical circuit, with elevation changes and interesting corners that reward experimenting with lines. Be warned that there will be a few Silver State Classic guys there, and we'll try to tempt you to come and play in NV in May.
Old 11-24-2007, 05:35 AM
JSMDMD
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default I forgot....

I will second the POC Short Track Series...... Fun track, great instructors, and you will learn how to drive your car the right way......

Quick Reply: Driving School IN So Cal???