Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Full leather interior OR Nav and 6 disc changer?

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2007, 11:15 PM
MartyB
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Full leather interior OR Nav and 6 disc changer?

Form over function . . . or the reverse? I'm considering a black coupe with sand beige standard leather seats that also has factory Nav and a 6 disc changer. I don't want a car that is so heavily loaded that I will take a bath when I sell it, but I want some nice options. Based on personal preference and also on what you think will help with resale the most, if you had to choose one option or the other would you get a full leather interior OR Nav and a 6 disc changer? I've repeatedly read that Porsche nav is mediocre at best, and I know the Garmin portables are great. I still listen to CDs occasionally, but I mostly listen to satellite radio. I know the integrated Nav is clean looking, but will it look stupid and antiquated in a few years when sat nav is much more advanced and the Porsche system started out as below average anyway? I really like the look of full leather, especially black/sand beige two tone, but it is expensive and not "useful". This is obviously a question I'll have to answer, but hearing your preferences might help. BTW, I feel that the car with standard leather and Nav/6 disc can be bought very reasonably. Thanks in advance.
Old 10-31-2007, 11:31 PM
irish guitar
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 14 Posts

I have no idea about the possible resale aspects, but I vote full leather all the way! The nav is, by all accounts, less than stellar, and CDs are SOOOO 1980's.
Old 11-01-2007, 12:31 AM
LA Brit
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

If money is a factor you should honestly buying slightly used (under 5000 miles) with both features and you'll end up paying (significantly) less than a new with one feature...i did this recently and got a loaded car with every option i would have chosen and am very happy with it.

If this isn't an option for you, i would say to go with the full leather. You can always add Nav or buy a smaller, portable unit for $500 or so but the leather isn't upgradable really and the car looks very cheap without it.

Josh.
Old 11-01-2007, 12:45 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

You can play more than 6 CDs worth of stuff on the in-dash player as it is an MP3 player,--so make your own and skip the trunk one.

I have the nav, the full leather (nat. brown) and the 6-disc CD player. I actually use all of them all the time, and enjoy the leather constantly. If I had to do without something I would ditch the player. The nav integrated is sure better than having to take it down and stuff it somewhere everytime you park...
Old 11-01-2007, 01:50 AM
axhoaxho
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It is really personal, some like this option, some like that...

Hmm, if I really must choose, down the road I think full leather will have a slight advantage for resale than Nav & CD Changer. The Nav & CD still can be retrofitted if one wants to spend the money, but the full leather interior can't be (or doesn't make sense to be) retrofitted later...

Just a thought.

With best regards,
Old 11-01-2007, 07:06 AM
MLindgren
Three Wheelin'

How often would you really use the nav system that would make it that much of a PITA to use? I find that the time I do use it it functions just fine-I usually know where I'm going and don't need it anyway-more often the kids want the map turned on for "entertainment".

I love the full leather but have not driven a car without it.

My favorites are the PCCB and the throttle re-mapping the "wart" sport has.
Old 11-01-2007, 09:35 AM
dstrimbu
Burning Brakes

The full leather is spectacular. On the other hand, it's a bit of a PITA to maintain - it's incredibly thirsty and there's a lot of it in the interior. And some of that leather is in places that are damned hard to get to...

On the other hand, I wouldn't do without it.

Self-dimming mirrors would be good bc the damned thing is so low, you get blasted in the outside mirrors by anything with bi-xenons. And PSE. And Sport Chrono - which I love - but your mileage regarding the wart may vary.

so: full leather, PSE, self-dimming mirrors.
opt: sport chrono, Bose.

You could go crazy, but... :-)
Old 11-01-2007, 09:57 AM
MartyB
Racer

Thanks for your input thus far. Don, the PSE, Sport Chrono, self dimming mirrors, power seats, Bose and Sport designs or Carrera Sports have to be part of the package - non negotiable. That is why I am trying to cut out one of the other higher end options. My gut is telling me I would regret not getting full leather but the car I am looking at does not have it and I like everything else about it (PSE would have to be dealer installed, but that's OK).
Old 11-01-2007, 10:54 AM
Matt(inMA)
Not in MA anymore
Rennlist Member

Received 253 Likes on 130 Posts

I had to make a similar decision and I went for the leather. I love it. And for NAV I have a Garmin that I can use in all the cars... best choice for me... I love the leather...
Old 11-01-2007, 11:08 AM
cviles
Unique Title
Rennlist Member

Received 111 Likes on 78 Posts

Not to sound like a broken record, but go with the full leather. It's not something I would have chosen from just reading catalogs, but it came on the Boxster I bought off the lot and I loved it. It was the first box I checked on my 997; it really is worth the money. I added a few extra leather bits for parts my hand touches and couldn't be happier.

You can always add the CD changer later if you want it, but it's pricey to add after the car is built. It cost me about $1100 to add to the Boxster, and only $600 from the factory for the 997. I don't know about adding the nav, but I don't miss it on the Boxster and only use it occasionally in the 997.
Old 11-01-2007, 11:30 AM
meaker
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Full leather.....short and to the point.lol
Old 11-01-2007, 11:38 AM
MLindgren
Three Wheelin'

Make sure you get heated seats in the event you may ever want to sell the car. It's one option I regret not having here in the mid-west. My car was originally proven out in Florida.

Also need to add a WOR calendar to keep track on when to buy the anniversary gift, etc.
Old 11-01-2007, 12:05 PM
MartyB
Racer

You guys are confirming what my gut was telling me, but you're not making my search any easier Additional comments are welcome. Thanks.
Old 11-01-2007, 12:09 PM
nkhalidi
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Edgy01
The nav integrated is sure better than having to take it down and stuff it somewhere everytime you park...
This is 100% true. I have full leather and no nav, and I kind of wish I ordered nav, especially when my car begins to see more street use. A suction-cup nav unit looks goofy and ruins your line of sight through the windshield, no matter how streamlined or fancy it is. The cost to retrofit nav isn't cheap - $2-3k - but it's always available after purchase; full leather isn't.
Old 11-01-2007, 12:21 PM
carlo$
Instructor

full leather.
cds are old school.
i would not pay for a cd player now days.
nav, i don't think its work $1k+.

Quick Reply: Full leather interior OR Nav and 6 disc changer?