Worst car show on TV?

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2007, 06:54 PM
nkhalidi
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by RaceCarDriver
What channel is 5th Gear on?
I don't think 5th Gear is broadcast in the U.S., but you can always find a reliable torrent for both 5th Gear and Top Gear at finalgear.com.

As far as the worst car show on TV, my vote is for an internet-based show called Roadfly TV. Anyone who's seen the Volvo C30 episode - the host nearly rear-ends a Civic during a press track day while simultaneously shouting insults and praising the auto transmission - can attest. This is not as entertaining as it sounds.
Old 11-02-2007, 01:55 AM
jollyjolly
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK...here's a follow up question.

How come there aren't any good US car shows? Are we less car crazy than the Brits?

Amongst the US based ones, I'd count "Monster Garage", and "American Chopper" and "Overhaulin'" as some that stand out favourably... not sure that they are car shows, though.
Old 11-02-2007, 10:13 AM
pcar964
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jollyjolly
OK...here's a follow up question.

How come there aren't any good US car shows? Are we less car crazy than the Brits?
It has to be a combination of things:
  • Our shows are over-produced
  • political correctness has run rampant
  • the shows are supported by big manufacturers (you won't see any negative reviews)
  • the Nascar crowd (biggest market) would rather see some dork host sing the praises of the 21st century K-car with "Daytona" stickers and racing stripes, than hear about "handling" or "braking" or "build quality" on a hot hatch, or European sportscar, etc.
Old 11-02-2007, 11:11 AM
Seal
Advanced

OK, here is a comment in defense of Autoweek (don't laugh!). Yes, it is campy, yes it is over produced, yes, John Davis is a dork and I can't even begin to describe Pat Goss and his useless section. However, if you carefully listen to the comments of the tests, they do make some good points. When they tested the 997 GT3, they were quite precise is describing the car and also its handling (including some mild criticism regarding the front suspension). My pint is that the content ios sometimes not that bad at all. The presentation is awfull and in fact detracts from the content. John Davis' voice is so artificial that you don't really listen to what he says. If you do listen in particular on the longer tests, you will note that what is being said has been written with more knowlegde than one would expect.

Topgear is great fun but more entertainment than journalism. I haven't been able to find a real car show with real tests on US tv unfortunately.

Pieter Paul
Old 11-02-2007, 01:09 PM
RaceCarDriver
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by nkhalidi
I don't think 5th Gear is broadcast in the U.S., but you can always find a reliable torrent for both 5th Gear and Top Gear at finalgear.com.
a couple of years ago 5th gear I think was on Speedvision and Top Gear was on discovery. Wish they were still on.
Old 11-03-2007, 12:26 AM
jollyjolly
Advanced

Originally Posted by pcar964
It has to be a combination of things:
  • Our shows are over-produced
  • political correctness has run rampant
  • the shows are supported by big manufacturers (you won't see any negative reviews)
  • the Nascar crowd (biggest market) would rather see some dork host sing the praises of the 21st century K-car with "Daytona" stickers and racing stripes, than hear about "handling" or "braking" or "build quality" on a hot hatch, or European sportscar, etc.
Good points... especially the last one. I'm constantly amazed when I rent a (K-car descendants...) and glad when I get home.
Old 11-03-2007, 01:06 AM
blake
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Top Gear is on BBC America. I just looked it up on my cable listings. A repeat will be on tomorrow at 3pm Mountain Time.

-B
Old 11-04-2007, 06:03 PM
ryssyr
Rennlist Member

you gotta love that the motorweek host still wears a members only jacket. what a crap show.
Old 11-04-2007, 09:20 PM
jollyjolly
Advanced

Motorweek or Motor Weak?
Old 11-04-2007, 09:52 PM
FlatSix911
Nordschleife Master

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

John Davis and Pat Goss remind me of the guys who never fit in...
Old 11-07-2007, 02:37 PM
dD/dt
Racer

I kind of enjoy Motorweek. I'm 33 now, and used to watch the show religiously when I was in Junior high in the mid and late 80's. I tuned in last year, for the first time since then, and couldn't believe that the show was EXACTLY what I had watched back then. I halfway expected them to test a Dodge Omni.

Quick Reply: Worst car show on TV?