Sponsored by:

Bilstein pss10's

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2007, 12:43 PM
Liva
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bilstein pss10's

wondering when they are going to be available for a 997 C2 non-pasm and how much you think they will cost...i am debating wating for the pss10's because i have the sport chrono and i hear this works with that button, or just getting the pss9's...thanks
Old 11-01-2007, 12:59 PM
dstrimbu
Burning Brakes

Liva, like you say, the C2 is non-PASM. So your sport chrono switch will not change the shock valving like it would on a C2S.
Old 11-01-2007, 01:25 PM
Liva
Advanced

but when i press the sport button the cars ride gets firmer, would this still work like that with the pss9's?
Old 11-01-2007, 02:30 PM
prwdmd
Intermediate

Sounds like you might have PASM. Do you have a PASM button somewhere to the left of the sport button? I believe it has a shock absorber symbol.
Old 11-01-2007, 02:55 PM
Liva
Advanced

no i dont have pasm, just sport button, base C2...its almost like the m3, it felt like the ride got a little harder in sport in that too, less body roll , but that didnt have active suspension either
Old 11-02-2007, 10:02 AM
cvazquez
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Liva
no i dont have pasm, just sport button, base C2...its almost like the m3, it felt like the ride got a little harder in sport in that too, less body roll , but that didnt have active suspension either
Liva,

The PSS10 will not work on non-PASM systems. I mean it will stay in the open position (soft ride) if your P-car does not have the PASM module system. However, the PSS9 is for non-PASM systems. Since you already installed the H&R springs, which resulted the demise of a blown OEM strut, installation of new Bilstein struts or the PSS9 coil-over is a great choice for the non-PASM system.
Old 11-02-2007, 11:10 AM
Liva
Advanced

thanks cvazquez...now regarding the pss9's, what is the setting that everyone has been using to get nice sporty handling with a good ride
Old 11-02-2007, 11:58 AM
pcar964
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

thanks cvazquez...now regarding the pss9's, what is the setting that everyone has been using to get nice sporty handling with a good ride
Not sure if it translates to 997s, but on my 993 the softest setting (9) is best for street use. It's still stiffer than stock sport suspension, but somehow more comfortable at the same time.
Old 11-02-2007, 12:06 PM
cvazquez
Three Wheelin'

The PSS9's are 9-way adjustable, the setting will depend on your region (potholes/nice roads). I would try setting #5 first and adjust from there... You will need the P-car aligned (aggressive or non-aggressive to conserve tire life). I believe the cost of the PSS9's are close to $2,500
Old 11-02-2007, 02:15 PM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Sorry, but Sport doesn't change anything to do with the ride, steering, performance, etc. in non-PASM cars. Then again, it doesn't do much for PASM cars either (other than force people to put the suspension back into normal). In a nut-shell, Sport tricks you into thinking the car is faster -- it just advances the gas pedal ever so slightly, something your right foot could do all by itself.
Old 11-02-2007, 02:37 PM
cvazquez
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by cvazquez
The PSS9's are 9-way adjustable, the setting will depend on your region (potholes/nice roads). I would try setting #5 first and adjust from there... You will need the P-car aligned (aggressive or non-aggressive to conserve tire life). I believe the cost of the PSS9's are close to $2,500
In addition, great compliment to the PSS9 is the rear and front sway bars from H&R. I believe $270 for each and it comes with the Urethane/Teflon Composite Bushings.

After that, all you'll need is 4-point Seatbelts, roll-cage, and helmet!
Old 11-02-2007, 03:06 PM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by cvazquez
After that, all you'll need is 4-point Seatbelts, roll-cage, and helmet!
Go for 6 pointers -- evidence shows that 4-pointers are dangerous (submarining), more so than oem 3 points...
Old 11-02-2007, 04:23 PM
pcar964
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by RonCT
Sorry, but Sport doesn't change anything to do with the ride, steering, performance, etc. in non-PASM cars. Then again, it doesn't do much for PASM cars either (other than force people to put the suspension back into normal). In a nut-shell, Sport tricks you into thinking the car is faster -- it just advances the gas pedal ever so slightly, something your right foot could do all by itself.
+1 it's a complete gimmick, and one not worthy of the Porsche crest. Unfortunately, some marketing dweebs thought it would be a selling point.
Old 11-02-2007, 06:22 PM
axhoaxho
Three Wheelin'

In a semi-related subject, I read that Bilstein is releasing a new remote-control-stiffness suspension. It is similar to our PASM but without the fully integration with all the car's computer(s). What it has is a PASM-like cockpit remote control to change the stiffness. From the following news, it will be available for the whole Porsche line soon...

With best regards,

SEMA 2007 Spotlight: Bilstein offering more stiff selections
Posted Nov 2nd 2007 2:58PM by Damon Lavrinc
Filed under: Aftermarket, SEMA

Although the big news from Bilstein is the upgrade from its PSS9 system to the PSS10 (essentially, adding one more level of damping to their struts), more impressive is the firm's new Electronic Ridecontrol system. Essentially, it's similar to Porsche's PASM system, without integration between the ECU to gather inputs from the throttle position sensor, traction control and steering angle sensor. Pushing the dash-mounted blue backlit button changes the strut's firmness from "Comfort" to "Sport," all within fractions of a second. The "Comfort" selection is still about 50-percent stiffer than stock, and currently it's available for the BMW E46, E90 and E60, along with the Mercedes E-Class (W211). Bilstein plans to develop the system for a number of other high-end applications, specifically the entire Porsche range, from the Boxster to the 996 and 997 911s. MSRP is just a few bucks over $3,000.
http://www.autoblog.com/2007/11/02/s...ff-selections/

Old 11-04-2007, 01:52 PM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Received 884 Likes on 582 Posts

ahhhhhhhhhhhh my friend, you are a marketing man's dream audience.
If you do not have PASM, sport mode does nothing for suspension compliance.
Sport mode only changes throttle mapping and shift points ( if a Tip car).
Some models also allow for Sport Exhaust.

have fun.

craig

Quick Reply: Bilstein pss10's