Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Southern California Fires

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2007, 01:58 AM
Nicolaasdb
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

hope you guys are going to be okay....the pictures are beautiful...but I know the smell and anxiety is terrible! goodluck.
Old 10-22-2007, 02:01 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 293 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by 500
ummm how about concrete block construction...
This is an earthquake zone, too, ya know...
Old 10-22-2007, 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
This is an earthquake zone, too, ya know...
Does a wood home fare better in an earthquake?
Remember what I said: It is foolish however to think man can ever build anything that nature cannot consume or destroy.
Old 10-22-2007, 02:39 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

The real problem today with homes facing these wind-whipped fires are the eaves of the houses. Most today have fire-resistant roofs, but with the Santa Ana winds blowing these things into the SIDES of the house the flames start licking at the eaves of the roofs and then it's all over. Years ago I had a new roof put on my place,--Alcoa "Cedar Shakes." I asked my home insurance company if I would get a reduction in my premiums for a fire-proof roof and their response was that most home fires don't start on the roof. Those of us in California would find that hard to believe! Here was my pool on Sunday morning,--this was simply ash and dust from 36 hrs of high winds that brought this stuff in from this summer's fire to my north. The new stuff coming in from this current crop of fires is contributing little.

Stay safe!
Attached Images  

Last edited by Edgy01; 10-22-2007 at 09:57 PM.
Old 10-22-2007, 02:48 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 500
Does a wood home fare better in an earthquake?
Absolutely.
Old 10-22-2007, 02:53 PM
McGarrett
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow Dan, your artistic talents extend to pool cleaning also. It's ASH art.

Here is what mine looks like today.

Take care,

Roy.
Attached Images  
Old 10-22-2007, 08:09 PM
OCBen
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Extensive coverage here with lots of pics:

https://rennlist.com/forums/off-topic/386598-socal-fire-storms-all-discussions.html
Old 10-22-2007, 08:58 PM

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
Absolutely.
Good to know. A friend who lives out there just sent me this:

Concrete Homes Stand Up to Earthquakes

Built according to good practices, concrete homes can be among the safest and most durable types of structures during an earthquake. Homes built with reinforced concrete walls have a record of surviving earthquakes intact, structurally sound and largely unblemished.

In reinforced concrete construction, the combination of concrete and steel provides the three most important properties for earthquake resistance: stiffness, strength, and ductility.

Why Buildings Survive

Scientists study damage from earthquakes to determine what types of buildings best withstand seismic forces. Modern earthquake-resistant design relies on several recent studies:

Year Earthquake Magnitude Studies
1989 Loma Prieta 7.1 University of California, Berkeley
1994 Northridge 6.8 NAHB Research Center / National Institute of Standards and Technology
2000 Yountville/Napa 5.2 Stanford University

Studies of earthquake damage consistently show well-anchored shear walls are the key to earthquake resistance in low-rise buildings.

Optimal design conditions include shear walls that extend the entire height and located on all four sides of a building. Long walls are stronger than short walls, and solid walls are better than ones with a lot of openings for windows and doors. These elements are designed to survive severe sideways (in-plane) forces, called racking and shear, without being damaged or bent far out of position. Shear walls also must be well anchored to the foundation structure to work effectively. Properly installed steel reinforcing bars extend across the joint between the walls and the foundation to provide secure anchorage to the foundation.

Why Buildings Fail

Low-rise buildings most vulnerable to earthquakes do not have the necessary stiffness, strength, and ductility to resist the forces of an earthquake or had walls that were not well anchored to a solid foundation, or both. Three types of buildings sustained the most significant damage:

Multi-story buildings with a ground floor consisting only of columns:

Most of these buildings were 3 to 4 stories tall with a parking garage or a living area with many large windows on the ground level. The columns may have been strong enough to hold up the structure, but did not provide an adequate amount of racking resistance during a seismic event. When the earthquake shook the building side-to-side, the upper stories sometimes tipped over to one side. Whether built of wood, steel, or concrete—they all suffered damage.

Wood-frame houses with weak connections between the walls and foundation:

Wood-framed buildings are inherently ductile (flexible), which is an attribute during an earthquake. However, the shaking sent some of these houses sliding to one side. Frequently, the shear walls were strong enough, but the connection to the foundation was a weak point that gave way.

Un-reinforced masonry or concrete buildings:

Masonry or concrete walls not reinforced with steel bars were not ductile enough to be effective shear walls. And if there is no steel connecting them to their foundation, the joint between walls and foundation can be a weak point.

Why reinforced concrete is safe

Reinforced concrete walls are a composite system: Concrete resists compression forces, and reinforcing steel resists tensile forces produced by an earthquake.

The concrete is cast around the bars, locking them into place. The exceptional ductility of the steel to resist tensile forces, coupled with the rock-like ability of concrete to resist compression, results in an excellent combination of the three most important earthquake resistance properties: stiffness, strength, and ductility. A study at Construction Technology Laboratories revealed that even a lightly reinforced concrete shear wall has over six times the racking load resistance as framed wall construction.

It’s no wonder that modern reinforced concrete buildings were found to survive these recent earthquakes with rarely any significant damage.

More Information?

Comerio, Housing Repair and Reconstruction After Loma Prieta. University of California, Berkeley.

Miranda, Aslani, and Blume, Brief Report on the September 3, 2000 Yountville/Napa, California Earthquake. John A. Blume Earthquake Engineering Center, Stanford University.

National Association of Home Builders Research Center, Assessment of Damage to Residential Buildings Caused by the Northridge Earthquake. The United States Department of Housing and Urban Development, Office of Policy Development and Research, Washington, DC, July 20, 1994.

Todd, Carino, Chung, Lew, Taylor, and Walton, 1994 Northridge Earthquake: Performance of Structures, Lifelines and Fire Protection Systems. Building and Fire Research Laboratory, National Institute of Standards and Technology, Gaithersburg, MD, March 1994.
Old 10-22-2007, 09:10 PM
996toomey
Three Wheelin'

Received 46 Likes on 21 Posts

New one in Stevenson Ranch coming my way now also. We had a bad one in 2003 that burned all around my neighborhood.
Attached Images  
Old 10-22-2007, 09:17 PM

Unhappy

Oh boy I guess it did not survive and hope they are OK...
Old 10-22-2007, 09:24 PM
SrfCity
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by drummin4fun
The thing that frustrates me the most is that a good many of these fires are man-started. Let the wind kick up and the weather turn warm, and out come the fire bugs like cockroaches.
You're right it's the nut jobs that start them. I'm not sure what the penalty is for it but it sure needs to be stiff.
Old 10-22-2007, 09:30 PM

Originally Posted by SrfCity
You're right it's the nut jobs that start them. I'm not sure what the penalty is for it but it sure needs to be stiff.
Are these fires ever caused by people flicking their cigarettes out the car window (we have alot of people doing that in S Fl and it irritates the $hit out of me!)?
Old 10-22-2007, 09:56 PM
AP997S
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by SrfCity
How about 'attempted murder' if no fatalities or 'Murder 1' if there are.

On second thought maybe it should be even stiffer!
Old 10-22-2007, 10:15 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by 500
Are these fires ever caused by people flicking their cigarettes out the car window (we have alot of people doing that in S Fl and it irritates the $hit out of me!)?
Sadly, next to arsons, I suspect that is the other big source of these fires. People just don't think.
Old 10-22-2007, 10:19 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 500
Are these fires ever caused by people flicking their cigarettes out the car window?
All the time. There are big signs throughout the hills saying not to, but people are idiots and do it anyway.

I had a fire get too close to my house for comfort a few years back in Laurel Canyon because of an errant butt.

Quick Reply: Southern California Fires