Sponsored by:

Southern California Fires

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2007, 07:42 PM
JSMDMD
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Southern California Fires

This is what is going on in Santa Clarita. This fire is about 5 miles NW of us.
The fires in Malibu are horrible too.....
Attached Images     
Old 10-21-2007, 07:47 PM
drummin4fun
Racer

Wow... sure hope your home is not in jeopardy. I've seen all the residual gunk in the air, even here in Long Beach. The wind has been crazy today, along with the heat. Bad combo.
Old 10-21-2007, 07:57 PM
JSMDMD
Instructor

Default We are OK...

We are OK. All of the hillsides here are either planted or cleared, thanks to our homeowners association. It is still pretty erie though. I just went outside and it's very smoky out.
Just keep good thoughts for all those in the fire path, and the firefighters working to stop it.
Old 10-21-2007, 08:09 PM
McGarrett
Racer

Some shots from Thousand Oaks. My dogs smell like charcoal!

Keep the hose ready, this may be an eventful night.
Attached Images   
Old 10-21-2007, 08:17 PM
JFScheck
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Coming back home Monday - good luck to everyone and God Bless our Firefighters...
Old 10-21-2007, 08:18 PM
Soulteacher
Burning Brakes

Scary.
Old 10-21-2007, 08:19 PM
SrfCity
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Stay safe everyone.
Old 10-21-2007, 08:57 PM
Craig T.
Racer

I'm in the Santa Rosa Valley, just north of Thousand Oaks. We just got back from San Diego and the CHP made us show ID to get into our area and told us to prepare to evacuate. They are landing H20 helicopters on my street!
Old 10-21-2007, 09:03 PM
McGarrett
Racer

Originally Posted by Craig T.
I'm in the Santa Rosa Valley, just north of Thousand Oaks. We just got back from San Diego and the CHP made us show ID to get into our area and told us to prepare to evacuate. They are landing H20 helicopters on my street!
Where exactly is the fire? The stupid local news is transfixed on the Malibu fire and were here wondering what's coming our way.
Old 10-21-2007, 09:21 PM
Craig T.
Racer

Originally Posted by McGarrett
Where exactly is the fire? The stupid local news is transfixed on the Malibu fire and were here wondering what's coming our way.
It's burning up the back side of the Santa Rosa ridge, up from the Moorpark side. It hasn't made it's way into the SRV properties yet. They had a lot of fire resources at the top of Barranca Rd, including heli refueling tankers. I just spoke to a fireman parked at the corner. He said they think it will be under control by late this evening. They really worked hard up here today.
Old 10-21-2007, 10:52 PM
brianh
Rennlist Member

Couple of fires in San Diego county also. One close to the border, the other further north, west of Julian. Both will burn for a while with the Santa Anas a' blow'in
Old 10-22-2007, 12:08 AM

Prayers are with anyone in harm's way.

Why do they let wood homes be built in fire zones?

Last edited by 500; 10-22-2007 at 01:34 AM.
Old 10-22-2007, 12:32 AM
drummin4fun
Racer

The thing that frustrates me the most is that a good many of these fires are man-started. Let the wind kick up and the weather turn warm, and out come the fire bugs like cockroaches.
Old 10-22-2007, 01:02 AM
bmc
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 500
Prayers are with anyone in harm's way.

Why do let let wood homes be built in fire zones?
um, maybe we should build them out of steel? sorry, i could not resist. i just returned from mexico and fire destroyed this steel building built just a year or so ago. it was incredible to see this building just melted, in person it was unreal alomost fake or hollywood like. wood, steel, brick or block i think they all burn or get smoke damage.
Attached Images  
Old 10-22-2007, 01:28 AM

Originally Posted by bmc
um, maybe we should build them out of steel? sorry, i could not resist. i.
ummm how about concrete block construction, it would seem this would be alot better than WOOD! Do they also primarily use fire proof/retardant roof shingles or spanish barrel roof tile? I know CBC. brick and stone too can all be damaged but if given a choice I'd go for the CBC etc.

I hear Mel Gibson's house and others like it are right in the heart of fire areas so I'd have to believe that price for most there is not much of an issue especially for building w/ fire proof/retd materials etc..jeez anything but wood! I've also got to believe that the codes for new homes has been changed to include special dual pane tempered glass, and other fire prevention materials, unfortunately those with older homes built of wood and or of a lesser code may not have made the wisest choice and my heart truly goes out to them and everyone affected.

I live in a hurricaine area and some here build gorgeous homes with the second story made of wood vs CBC to save some $; amazing, build a 3 million dollar home vs say $3.25mm to skimp on something that MAY save the second story of your home in a storm.

It is foolish however to think man can ever build anything that nature cannot consume or destroy.

Last edited by 500; 10-22-2007 at 02:17 AM.

Quick Reply: Southern California Fires