Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Yet another visit to the Tail of the Dragon

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2007 | 02:04 AM
Haku
Rennlist Member

Default Yet another visit to the Tail of the Dragon

After a few months overseas and away from home, I returned last week and headed for another encounter with US 129 - The Tail of the Dragon.

I was up there for a couple of days and thoroughly enjoyed the drives on the Cherohala and the 129. As usual I stayed at the Snowbird Mountain Lodge and found it a perfect place to unwind.

Thursday the 6th was a perfect day to drive the Dragon... great weather, not much traffic and no cops to be seen anywhere. Friday the 7th was a totally different scnario with no fewer than 4 TN superheroes positioned along the large portions of the Dragon. Apparently the Governor has provided extra funding and mandated that the police enforce the speed limits etc. This highly unpopular move may change the driving experience at the Dragon forever.

Here are a few pics of the trip...

Old 09-09-2007 | 02:11 PM
mulepacker
Intermediate

great pictures
Old 09-09-2007 | 07:53 PM
MHC2S
Rennlist Member

The Dragon is Awesome!!!!.Thanks for the pic's. Nice to see someone having fun with their 997.
I am heading down there next month with my Ducati for a full week of riding. Already booked my hotel. For those of you that don't know, The Dragon is THE finest stretch of road on the East Coast. 318 curves in 11 miles
Attached Images  
Old 09-10-2007 | 08:29 AM
PDQ PDK CAYMAN S
Racer

I am headed there in late October. I hope trouble is gone by then.
Old 09-10-2007 | 08:57 AM
Haku
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 997S X PO BOX
I am headed there in late October. I hope trouble is gone by then.
Avoid Friday's and weekends and you should be fine. You'll also get far less traffic.

Keep in touch and who knows I may be allowed to come out and play... there may be others who may be interested as well.

Here's what you can look forward to:

Old 09-22-2007 | 11:21 PM
pete77930
Racer

The Dragon is fun, but its rather short. My favorite part about going to Deals Gap is the surrounding roads and scenery. you can run the skyway, take the loop down to GA and hit Blood mountain, and stop in knoxville for lunch. but if your after just curves, check out shady valley. a little more low key, a killer road, and about 3x the length of deals with butter smooth pavement.
Old 09-23-2007 | 08:01 AM
Haku
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by pete77930
The Dragon is fun, but its rather short. My favorite part about going to Deals Gap is the surrounding roads and scenery. you can run the skyway, take the loop down to GA and hit Blood mountain, and stop in knoxville for lunch. but if your after just curves, check out shady valley. a little more low key, a killer road, and about 3x the length of deals with butter smooth pavement.
Pete, your comments much appreciated. As I'm new to the area I am searching for great roads to drive on in East TN, GA, and NC. would be great for this forum to have a section on great roads to drive on.
Old 09-23-2007 | 11:38 AM
Stockhog
Intermediate

I've ridden the Dragon many times on my Harley and actually bought my Porsche in Knoxville. LOTS of great roads in the area. Stay away from Pigeon Forge and Gatlinburg for driving, but fun at night if you don't mind sitting in traffic. Wish I could go with you. Have a great time.

Quick Reply: Yet another visit to the Tail of the Dragon