Sponsored by:

Insurance and vehicle tracking device

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2007, 09:54 PM
wprater
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Insurance and vehicle tracking device

Does anyone know if our Pcars are equipped with what and Insurance company would consider a vehicle tracking device?

Thanks
Old 09-06-2007, 10:17 PM
911Dave
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

You mean like Lojack?
Old 09-06-2007, 10:29 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by wprater
Does anyone know if our Pcars are equipped with what and Insurance company would consider a vehicle tracking device?

Thanks
You can get a factory installed tracking device in the UK but not in the US.
Old 09-06-2007, 10:36 PM
geof
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Current cars don't come with a tracking device (i.e. LoJack) but do come with an alarm and an immobilizer. The dealer tried to sell me as an option their new "e-LoJack" (or something like that). The old LoJack could only be triggered remotely, i.e. you saw your car was missing and you called LoJack and they could then start tracing it. If you didn't notice your car missing for a few days- too bad. The new "e-LoJack" would be triggered at the same time the alarm is triggered- if the car is moved or the regular car alarm is otherwise set off. Immediately the LoJack system would be alerted, and the car could be tracked immediately. They asked for about $800 or so. I opted not to get it, but may change my mind- the LoJack system is alerted immediately, presumably before a joyrider could inflict too much damage on the car.

I am not aware of whether this affects insurance or not.
Old 09-06-2007, 10:59 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

My dealership attempted to sell me on this item--Lo-jack. They misled me on the insurance company discounts for this device and I quickly canceled the installation. The payback is years. It just isn't worth it unless you're in a very high theft area for Porsches,--and my area just doesn't fit that statistic.
Old 09-07-2007, 10:31 AM
ELUSIVE
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

I would have expected the theft rates to be higher there in CA...especially being not too far from LA.
Old 09-07-2007, 01:32 PM
THPorsche
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Edgy01
My dealership attempted to sell me on this item--Lo-jack. They misled me on the insurance company discounts for this device and I quickly canceled the installation. The payback is years. It just isn't worth it unless you're in a very high theft area for Porsches,--and my area just doesn't fit that statistic.
My dealer misled me on the insurance discount also but since it was like $500 to install I installed one. I probably don't need one based on where I live and places I go... and I hate the extra key fob that I need to carry.
Old 09-07-2007, 03:23 PM
wprater
Instructor

Thanks for the info.. Im not sure if Seattle is a high thefy area for Pcars. But with all my responses, it sounds like there is no porsche option this is already installed. So I should probably "uncheck" that box in the insurance renewal form and watch my premium go back up.

Originally Posted by Edgy01
Old 09-07-2007, 03:41 PM
Streamlined
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the info.. Im not sure if Seattle is a high thefy area for Pcars. But with all my responses, it sounds like there is no porsche option this is already installed. So I should probably "uncheck" that box in the insurance renewal form and watch my premium go back up.
Curious what kind of insurance you have? State Farm told me no discount for any tracking device
Old 09-07-2007, 04:40 PM
wprater
Instructor

Originally Posted by Streamlined
Curious what kind of insurance you have? State Farm told me no discount for any tracking device
Progressive
Old 09-07-2007, 05:13 PM
Streamlined
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Progressive
thanks!

Quick Reply: Insurance and vehicle tracking device