Sponsored by:

Clocked at 105 and handcuffed.....

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2007, 12:31 AM
jpcourt
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jrgordonsenior
Very funny.... And on that note here's Jack Webb with Johnny Carson for those of you who might not have seen this wonderful 1968 clip. Enjoy....

http://youtube.com/watch?v=F4RIBhQIkII

PS: Chip can you find your car on the Google satellite in Capiton, NM?
That was just fantastic!!
Old 09-07-2007, 01:00 AM
ChipAZ
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

PS: Chip can you find your car on the Google satellite in Capitan, NM?

No, it's in the garage, plus that shot on Google was taken several years ago.

You got love Jack Webb, He was never married on the show. Who could live with a guy that spoke in "police speak," 24-7 ?
Old 09-07-2007, 02:25 AM
uzj100
Burning Brakes

Received 66 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Dariof
Going to traffic school beats:

Car impounded
Misdemeanor arrest and probable conviction
Attorney's Fees
Points on Driver's License
Insurance Fees

This cop did this person a huge favor, and still people are saying the search was illegal, the cop was over-zealous, 4th amendment rights are gone, etc. What's even more pathetic, is these people who want to "hang a cop" because he was doing his job (Remember, the cop wasn't driving at over 100MPH) have absolutely no idea what they are talking about.

I guess no good deed goes unpunished is the theme of what people are trying to turn this thread into.

If this does go to court, the cop will testify exactly as to what happened, that he gave the motorist a huge break, and then traffic school will also be denied.

I would go to traffic school and buy this cop dinner if I ever saw him again.
Exactly.
Old 09-07-2007, 10:29 AM
Dariof
Not an Addict?
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 10 Posts

I do stand a bit corrected.

Traffic school is online....no more going anywhere if you don't want to.
Old 09-07-2007, 02:01 PM
MartyB
Racer

Originally Posted by Dariof
Going to traffic school beats:

I guess no good deed goes unpunished is the theme of what people are trying to turn this thread into.
Hey - I'm no card-carrying member of the ACLU, and I spent some time as an intern with the Broward County FL State Attorney's office trying cases against folks for things like reckless driving, DUI and simple battery, working directly with law enforcement, so I "get" what the cops are doing out there. However, I don't view a search of a vehicle without consent for nothing more than speeding as a "good deed". Should a rape victim be beholden to her violator if he takes her out for dinner afterward?
Old 09-07-2007, 02:18 PM
Nine9Sixer
Pro

unless a high rate of speed in CA per se (without weaving or other erratic behavior) constitutes probable cause that the driver may be under the influence (don't think so, but not sure), then that was an illegal search in violation of your 4th Amend rights. reasonable suspcision wouldn't allow him to search the entire car. (btw, i am a lawyer although not a crim lawyer). pretty f'd up and surprising since you probably appear to be a respecable professional driving a 997 (one more likely to be a lawyer or know one than some poor minority driving a corolla).

but a couple things don't make sense. was the cop sitting on the exit ramp or coming off of it? and how did he clock you at 105mph if your VI never went off? cuz if it wasn't radar but laser, we know laser only works if the cop is stationary. and you said he said he didn't need radar because you asked him that question? i don't get how that could come up unless you suggested that your V1 didn't go off.
Old 09-07-2007, 09:27 PM
paralizer
Instructor

First off an officer can can place you in handcuffs for the purposes of officer safety. Placing you in cuffs is not placing you under arrest. It simply a detention. It may turn into an arrest, or as in this case, you may be released.

The CHP is considered on of the most "professional" law enforcement agencies in the nation. I'm not employed with them, or any other law enforcement agency, but I do work in public safety and have worked with them for over 20 years. The weight of their officers testimony goes a long way. A CHP officers estimation of speed is legally admissible and many officers are qualified as "experts."

Finally more than a few of these guys are total gearheads. The fact that you kept your cool and let the incident play out as it did, well you see the result. Once a gearhead, even a gearhead with a badge, finds out your not a real "bad guy" your odds of good outcome are pretty good unless you decide to go the "attitude" route.
Old 09-07-2007, 09:33 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Nine9Sixer
.....but a couple things don't make sense. was the cop sitting on the exit ramp or coming off of it? and how did he clock you at 105mph if your VI never went off? cuz if it wasn't radar but laser, we know laser only works if the cop is stationary. and you said he said he didn't need radar because you asked him that question? i don't get how that could come up unless you suggested that your V1 didn't go off.
He was entering the freeway and I passed right in front of him to his left in the slow lane. He simply hit the gas and clocked me as he pulled onto the freeway. I was oblivious drinking my Starbucks....
Old 09-07-2007, 09:46 PM
nyca
Drifting

Received 941 Likes on 524 Posts

pacing a car is one thing. but the CHP can simply look at a car visually, with no point of speed reference or measuring device, and tell the difference between one going 85, and one going 100MPH? no way.
Old 09-08-2007, 12:24 AM
SrfCity
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jrgordonsenior
He was entering the freeway and I passed right in front of him to his left in the slow lane. He simply hit the gas and clocked me as he pulled onto the freeway. I was oblivious drinking my Starbucks....
On ramps are a classic spot for cops to nail people. At 105 you should have been a little more aware.(I know hindsight is 20/20) The other thing is anything over 100 and you can be prepared for some kind of wrath. Cops are just waiting for you to give them a hard time so don't fall for it. I'd still try to fight that
Old 09-08-2007, 01:30 AM
Nicolaasdb
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think he should have impounded your vehicle....roughed you up a little bit and you should have been thrown in the slammer! Driving 105....you could have killed someone at that speed on a sunday morning! grandparents on their way to see their grandchildren etc. Shame on you!!!

PS....Just kidding....I think you did the right thing....if he would have written you up for 105....you would have had serious problems!!
Old 09-08-2007, 02:54 AM
MyEmily
Racer

Hehehe, I think you should try to have him beat you up in front witness, sue the states for police brutallity and Make millions and buy a brand new Turbo or a R8... Hehehehe, just kidding...

AM glad you got off w/ 80mph. It will still cost you a pretty penny for the ticket + traffic school. Maybe you have ground to fight the ticket due to about facts of No radar, just visual and coming on the on-ramp? I think it need pacing for visual verification and Radar for instant. Have to admit, the P-Car look fast just standing still. How can he say 105? it can be 95mph. If, it's under 100, it's not reckless and therefore the search is illegal. Anyway, I think you should fight the ticket...
Old 09-08-2007, 03:33 AM
Nicolaasdb
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

80 is okay...I think I paid about 140 bucks....at 90 (not even 1/2 of a new front tire)
Old 09-08-2007, 03:37 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,041 Likes on 736 Posts

Finally more than a few of these guys are total gearheads.

Agree. Was on I 75 last week between Tampa and Sarasota. Know the stretch well and had just passed a clearing in the median where FHP likes to hang out. Resumed normal speed and minutes later got a K-band alert. These are not common here except when going by Walgreens, grocery stores and the stationary "this is your speed" devices so at first I ignored it. Glanced behind me a moment later however and sure enough......a state trooper about 200 yards behind me.

Went to idle, watched 89mph tick by and eased over in the center lane. Trooper closed in and moved behind me. Now I'm uncomfortable since I had a ticket about a year ago which was neutralized by on-line traffic school. Another ticket in less than a year and my driving profile will change drastically. He's close enough now where anyone else would get a ticket for tailgating but still no lights. After what seemed like a little too much suspense, he backs off and passes me by on my left.

Have to say I was impressed. I know he had me at 90mph+ but he let it go. Still made an impact though. This was truly one of those "where the hell did he come from" situations and I've definitely gone slower since. May even have to write a check next time the FHP calls for a contribution (which they do here at least once a year). I can be generous and still be ahead by country miles.
Old 09-08-2007, 08:59 AM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by sandwedge
May even have to write a check next time the FHP calls for a contribution (which they do here at least once a year). I can be generous and still be ahead by country miles.
Agreed, especially if they give you a little sticker you can post in your rear window.....

Quick Reply: Clocked at 105 and handcuffed.....