Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Preferred method or product to care for full leather?

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2007, 07:58 PM
Streamlined
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Preferred method or product to care for full leather?

I love the full leather and want to keep it looking good. I can imagine that the dash and the top of the door panels in particular are under duress from being exposed to so much heat and sun and was wondering if & how you all care for it. I have a nice leather care product for nappa leather (got it for the M cars from Leather Z) but am hesitant to try it out in case it stains the stitching or is not ideal for this leather.

If you have any advice on how to take care of the leather and know of products that will feed/protect the hides but won't stain the stitches or otherwise mess up the appearance or texture I'd appreciate it.
Old 08-30-2007, 08:19 PM
mal28
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the full leather interior, as well as leather sunvisors, roof lining, rear console, dome light, etc, so obviously I also love leather, I use Zano leather care, easy to apply, smells great and leaves a great non shinny non greasy finish

http://www.zainostore.com/Merchant2/...oduct_Count=13
Old 08-30-2007, 11:13 PM
OCBen
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

You noobs need to learn how to use the search function. There's a wealth of information here.

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...53#post3631153

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...11#post3633411
Old 08-31-2007, 12:26 AM
Streamlined
Instructor

Thanks for the info both of you!

Fwiw I did an unsatisfactory search in the detailing forum but thought it best to ask here - and you never know, sometimes a new post about an old topic results in new info/products coming up
Old 08-31-2007, 12:19 PM
mulepacker
Intermediate

I will second the Zaino's recommendation. They have a complete line of excellent car care products.
Old 08-31-2007, 01:39 PM
dgcate
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi Streamlined...

darkening the stiching, changing the "hue" of the leather, etc, was a concern of mine in my 997. The leather is tan in it...to me it's beautiful when new, and I was afraid of compromising that new appearance look/feel/smell.... for the sake of "conditioning" and longer wear.

(In my searches, I found threads that was close to what I wanted to know, but they never stated exactly what I wanted to know about).

fwiw....I went with the Zymol Leather Cleaner and Zymol "Treat" Leather Conditioner. Absolutely no darkening of the leather at all. (Remember the ol' "waterproofing" of your new boots! They never seemed to look "new' after that! lol) Anyway, none of that happened at all. The stitching stayed it's original color, and it wasn't apparant that anything at all had even been put on the leather. No staining, no darkening. Even the texture (which I love) seemed unchanged.

It had the same texture, smell, and appearance as if it'd never been treated.

I'm guessing the other products mentioned are just as good, I can only speak for one. Alot of people like 'leatherique". I tried it on my "keyfob" and it darkened it...that scared me away from using it on my seats. (maybe different leather? who knows).

Anyway...that's just one man's experience...

Have fun! ;-)
Dave

ps...However...I don't believe it's possible to keep these leathers' new texture and color indefinately. At least with the tan...side by side...new, as compared to a 2 year old "used" car, there is, to me at least, some subtle difference in the appearance of the two. The new car's interiors look, well, newer. :-)

Last edited by dgcate; 08-31-2007 at 01:55 PM.
Old 08-31-2007, 01:58 PM
seattle_sun
Pro

How often are you guys conditioning? Every other month?
Old 08-31-2007, 02:01 PM
dgcate
Rennlist Member

I've conditioned twice. (with no complaints)

The car's about a year old..

I don't know if that's enough, too much?
Dave
Old 08-31-2007, 03:55 PM
oalvarez
Three Wheelin'

Received 54 Likes on 37 Posts

SONUS!
Old 08-31-2007, 05:06 PM
User 4621
Race Director

Received 614 Likes on 326 Posts

http://www.leatherique.com/

Best stuff I've ever used, but I always have a black interiors.

This stuff absorbs into the leather instead of sitting on top of it. I can see how that might darken the leather, the way a wet spot is darker. Of course the leather also gets lighter as it dries out. I don't know if it lightens back up or stays darker, or even if the lighter or darker color is the "real" color. Like any product, test it out before using.
Old 08-31-2007, 05:21 PM
Streamlined
Instructor

Thanks again for all the feedback. My main concern was avoiding dirtying/darkening the stitching so its great to hear that its possible to apply a cleaner/conditioner that will not do that.

I hope that caring for the leather with good products is enough for the dash leather, I've heard of issues in other cars with the leather degrading from the heat and UV it is exposed to there.
Old 08-31-2007, 05:31 PM
mal28
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I used Zaino on graphite grey in my 996 and on Cocoa on my 997, no change in color on either, I do the "non-touch" surfaces (roofliner, rear seats etc) every 3-4 months and the front seats and dash about every 2 months, no real reason for this schedule, I just love the fresh smell of the zaino!
Old 08-31-2007, 11:02 PM
911Dave
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Nothing beats Zaino, and I've tried them all. I've used Leatherique many times, but it is mainly for aged, distressed leather. I used to think Lexol was the top of the heap. They're all good, but the Zaino definitely smells the best without a doubt.
Old 09-01-2007, 11:18 AM
InTheAir
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by PeterS
http://www.leatherique.com/

Best stuff I've ever used, but I always have a black interiors.
Ditto!!!!
Old 09-01-2007, 11:48 AM
Maison
Advanced

Is there some sort of cleaner to use before applying the Zaino Z-10?

Quick Reply: Preferred method or product to care for full leather?