Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Preferred method or product to care for full leather?

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2007, 12:37 AM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 395 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by wross996tt
This is incorrect...I have used it for 3 years and my dash looks like new...It absolutely can be used on leather and it is has excellent sunscreen properties...ADias...just curious...have you tried it or is just an opinion with no basis?

go here

303 Aero on Leather
Since my dash is leather I use a leather conditioner there. 303 is marketed as a vinyl/rubber protectant. It may be OK with leather as you say, but why not use a leather product instead?
Old 09-07-2007, 12:48 AM
wross996tt
Race Car

Received 82 Likes on 61 Posts

The dash of Porsche is specially treated leather and Porsche even suggests not to use conditioners on it. Since 303 is not a conditioner, but a protectant (w/UV protection) it works better than a conditioner. FYI...my entire interior is leather, CF and Al.
Old 09-07-2007, 12:54 AM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 395 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by wross996tt
The dash of Porsche is specially treated leather and Porsche even suggests not to use conditioners on it. Since 303 is not a conditioner, but a protectant (w/UV protection) it works better than a conditioner. FYI...my entire interior is leather, CF and Al.
Interesting. No question 303 is a good product - i use it. Where did you see the reference that PAG does not recommend using conditioners on the dash?
Old 09-07-2007, 12:59 AM
Streamlined
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by OCBen
If you're really interested in learning about detailing and if you've really "spent a long time lurking and reading here" you would know to go to the forums that specialize in detailing - not a generic 997 forum like this one - to get the latest information on detailing products. Of course, that also assumes intelligence on your part, which so far hasn't been demonstrated successfully.

So if you've really been "lurking here a long time" you'd know by now that www.autopia.org and www.autopia-carcare.com are the two most recommended sites for detailing knowledge and for expert evaluations of the latest products.

Of course, there is the possibility that you're not really serious about detailing knowledge and are only interested in making conversation.
Well, every board has its cantankerous rude types on occasion, but you really take the cake with some of these remarks.

In context I never stated I wanted to be an expert in detailing, as I had said I was hoping for some advice when it came to the Porsche full leather in particular (as the preferred treatments can vary from car to car), etc, its all in my post - I was not looking for a doctorate in detailing, thanks, just some friendly advice about how to treat the new car I was excited about. As with any forum people can opt to click off, ignore or post and I thanked those that chose to help (including you) I didn't know it was such an transgression to ask

I'll leave it at that and not bother addressing your insults, perhaps you have had a bad day.
Old 09-07-2007, 01:13 AM
wross996tt
Race Car

Received 82 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by ADias
Interesting. No question 303 is a good product - i use it. Where did you see the reference that PAG does not recommend using conditioners on the dash?
The leather Porsche uses on the dash contains almost no moisture - it is specifically dried so there will be less "movement" as it goes through the big temperature changes that can occur on the dash. Introducing moisture back into the leather by using a conditioner will cause the leather to "move" with temperature changes and possibly break loose from the surface it is glued to. Here's what Porsche has to say about the leather used on the dash...

"All leather is not the same. We work with classic upholstery leather, but we also work with low-shrinkage leather. The instrument paneling, for example, can get extremely hot in summer. If the material starting tightening, what would that look like after a while? So we're talking about leather whose residual moisture has been largly removed, which means that it won't be able to shrink later." (Christophorus, No. 276 January 1999)

And links:

Eric@Bumperplugs

Rennlist

And I ask again...have you used it on the dash or are you just theorizing
Old 09-07-2007, 01:22 AM
OCBen
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Streamlined
Well, every board has its cantankerous rude types on occasion, but you really take the cake with some of these remarks.
Ha, I knew it. You were only putting us on.

If you've really been "lurking here a long time" you'd know my remarks above are really, really tame compared to some of the really flame ones.

Thanks for playing. You've been a great sport.

Better luck next time at your next stop.
Old 09-07-2007, 01:31 AM
Streamlined
Instructor

Originally Posted by OCBen
Ha, I knew it. You were only putting us on.

If you've really been "lurking here a long time" you'd know my remarks above are really, really tame compared to some of the really flame ones.

Thanks for playing. You've been a great sport.

Better luck next time at your next stop.
Nah, I saw some of your condescending posts and bickering before, but I was looking for useful information and not bothering wasting my time focusing on BS. I try to give people the benefit of the doubt though, so I opted to be courteous rather then sink to your level
Old 09-07-2007, 03:09 AM
kauai_diver
Straight to Video
Rennlist Member

Know what you mean, got full leather myself with supple no less! Know what I do? Keep the car clean myself inside and out, basic washing nothing special.

Then twice a year take it to a detailer, and finding a good one is part of the challenge.

And don't let OCBen get to you he's really a softy, just likes to rile people up which he is very good at by the way.
Old 09-07-2007, 09:17 AM
OCBen
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

...I was looking for useful information...
....please feel free to chime in with any product advice for that or other must haves...
Well, you come across as very arrogant by saying in effect that you are granting us permission to approach and offer up to you 'useful information' without our having to ask up front if we can be of assistance to you. I can't think of a more condescending attitude. That's why I told you if you're looking to be spoon fed, you've come to the wrong place. Show a willingness to help yourself out first......and others will be more willing to help you out as well.
Old 09-07-2007, 09:33 AM
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 196 Likes on 131 Posts

Streamlined...try joining rennlist as a member...you will get a little more respect...in my humble opinion.

Quick Reply: Preferred method or product to care for full leather?