Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Preferred method or product to care for full leather?

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2007, 12:13 PM
4thporsche
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Maison
Is there some sort of cleaner to use before applying the Zaino Z-10?

Yes If you need to clean first, apply Z-9. It's a spray on cleaner.
Old 09-01-2007, 12:45 PM
Maison
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you!
Old 09-01-2007, 03:19 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 395 Likes on 271 Posts

OK, lots of opinions. Leather conditioning is fine but should not be done too often and many products do soften the leather AND stretch it and increase the surface's shine - very ugly.

I hear many recommending Zaino. Does it stretch the leather , make it shine?

I tried several and Lexol was bad - good for shoes though.

I like very small amounts of Griot's leather conditioner. have you tried that?
Old 09-01-2007, 09:40 PM
mal28
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ADias
OK, lots of opinions. Leather conditioning is fine but should not be done too often and many products do soften the leather AND stretch it and increase the surface's shine - very ugly.

I hear many recommending Zaino. Does it stretch the leather , make it shine?

I tried several and Lexol was bad - good for shoes though.

I like very small amounts of Griot's leather conditioner. have you tried that?
Zaino does not stretch the leather and is definately not shinny. I just bought 2 more bottles (I jave a lot of leather in my car)
Old 09-02-2007, 12:17 AM
OCBen
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by 911Dave
Nothing beats Zaino, and I've tried them all.
You obviously haven't read our resident professional detailer's opinion, Deanski, who used to be a Zaino man but now recommends Sonus for Porsche leathers, as this product was made specifically for Porsche leathers.

Those who don't know better use Zaino.
Old 09-02-2007, 12:25 AM
Deanski
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by 4thporsche
Yes If you need to clean first, apply Z-9. It's a spray on cleaner.
Or, what really is the same thing, but w/o added fragrance and coloring for cleaning leather is:

Woolite: 6 parts water (distilled) and 1 part Woolite for normal/adverage cleaning.

Most leather cleaners are nothing more than a soap with fragrance and coloring. They also base it off similar type of soap that is mild.

Best to use in a spray bottle and use a brush that is not synthetic, but a bit on the stiff or firm side w/o being too aggresive. Once brushed, use white cotton towels to wipe off dirt. This way you can monitor how much is really coming off. Let the leather fully dry with wiping with a fresh towel, then next day start your application of Zaino Z-10 or Sonus or 1Z Lederpflege which is a creamy conditioner for leather.

Just about all leather is treated in one way or another. Therefore, do not use products such as Hide Food or other high solvent and mineral based conditioners as they were made for mostly untreated leathers (older leather/english car leather) and can both darken some leathers and stiching. Also, the solvent smell can detract from the natural oils used in tanning. These solvents become overpowering.

Sal Zaino reformulated the Z-10. Hopefully, it's not too strong on the leather fragrance. I find Z-10 is dead-on for Lexus leather. Porsche leather has a very unique smell/odor from how it's tanned and treated.

Sonus seems to smell bad out of the bottle, but after application, open the door after it sits for an hour and your greeted by the original smell, almost new smelling. Not overpowering leather fragrance, but more natural.

I'm a very big fan of Z-10. I just feel it's a tad too much for Porsche leather, however, I've yet to try what Sal has now as my Z-10 is at least a year old. The newer formula has a bluish hue from what I hear, but have not confirmed this with Sal.

Regards,
Deanski
Old 09-06-2007, 07:35 PM
Streamlined
Instructor

It is hard to decide what to buy, everyone has good points about what they prefer :P

I was looking at that Sonus 'Perfect Leather Interior Kit' but I do have the 303 protectant already, is the Total Eclipse & Cockpit Detailer really all that much different/better?

Also been meaning to get a Grit Guard and some kind of new wash mitts and towels (now that we have a black car gotta be extra careful), please feel free to chime in with any product advice for that or other must haves
Old 09-06-2007, 09:38 PM
OCBen
Banned

Originally Posted by Streamlined
...please feel free to chime in with any product advice for that or other must haves
Don't be lazy and expect people to repeat what they've posted already.

Like I said there's a wealth of information here if you learn how to use the search function. Find a relevant thread and post there to show that you at least made some effort on your part to get at the info. People will see your effort and be more willing to help. You don't want to come across as someone who expects to be spoon fed. .... Just sayin'.

Oh, another benefit of posting in a relevant thread is that if there is any new information on the topic it can be added there for continuity sake.

Good luck.
Old 09-06-2007, 10:38 PM
911Dave
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I'll add to my previous post. None of the recommended ones are bad; they're all great. I like Zaino the best merely because it smells the most like leather to me.
Old 09-06-2007, 10:49 PM
Streamlined
Instructor

Originally Posted by OCBen
Don't be lazy and expect people to repeat what they've posted already.

Like I said there's a wealth of information here if you learn how to use the search function. Find a relevant thread and post there to show that you at least made some effort on your part to get at the info. People will see your effort and be more willing to help. You don't want to come across as someone who expects to be spoon fed. .... Just sayin'.

Oh, another benefit of posting in a relevant thread is that if there is any new information on the topic it can be added there for continuity sake.

Good luck.
I regret if my asking is verboten in your book, I do hear what you have said although in other car forums established users are often open to supporting new threads and making a quick friendly reccomendation to new users without any issues. There was a good amount of discourse in this thread and I just asked casually in context with starting the topic, I figure people can choose to read it/answer in good will if they feel like it or not, simple as that - no expectations of being spoonfed or otherwise..

There is a lot of great info on this board and I really appreciate it, I spent a long time lurking and reading here while looking into 997s. Perhaps people have newer opinions or there are different products available not discussed by everyone in prior threads, again, in this case I'd already commited the gaffe I suppose by starting this one and didn't think there was harm in asking vs adding onto to a long older thread - sorry if that was a mistake here, didn't mean to offend anyone's sensibilities .
Old 09-06-2007, 10:57 PM
Streamlined
Instructor

Originally Posted by 911Dave
I'll add to my previous post. None of the recommended ones are bad; they're all great. I like Zaino the best merely because it smells the most like leather to me.
Thanks 911Dave - can you PM me the smell please?

Guess I'll just roll the die, I'm sure the hides will be happy with any of them.

Now if I can only decide on whether I need to splurge on a Vac N Blo
Old 09-06-2007, 11:08 PM
wross996tt
Race Car

Received 82 Likes on 61 Posts

I also use Zaino on any leather I touch (seats/armrests/steering wheel)...but for the dash and other high sun exposure areas I use Aero 303...it is absolutely perfect for those areas.
Old 09-06-2007, 11:22 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 395 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by wross996tt
I also use Zaino on any leather I touch (seats/armrests/steering wheel)...but for the dash and other high sun exposure areas I use Aero 303...it is absolutely perfect for those areas.
303 Aerospace Protectant should be used on the dash and other parts IF they are not leather. I do not think that 303 should be used on leather.
Old 09-06-2007, 11:24 PM
wross996tt
Race Car

Received 82 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by ADias
303 Aerospace Protectant should be used on the dash and other parts IF they are not leather. I do not think that 303 should be used on leather.
This is incorrect...I have used it for 3 years and my dash looks like new...It absolutely can be used on leather and it is has excellent sunscreen properties...ADias...just curious...have you tried it or is just an opinion with no basis?

go here

303 Aero on Leather
Old 09-07-2007, 12:27 AM
OCBen
Banned

Originally Posted by Streamlined
There is a lot of great info on this board and I really appreciate it, I spent a long time lurking and reading here while looking into 997s. Perhaps people have newer opinions or there are different products available not discussed by everyone in prior threads...
If you're really interested in learning about detailing and if you've really "spent a long time lurking and reading here" you would know to go to the forums that specialize in detailing - not a generic 997 forum like this one - to get the latest information on detailing products. Of course, that also assumes intelligence on your part, which so far hasn't been demonstrated successfully.

So if you've really been "lurking here a long time" you'd know by now that www.autopia.org and www.autopia-carcare.com are the two most recommended sites for detailing knowledge and for expert evaluations of the latest products.

Of course, there is the possibility that you're not really serious about detailing knowledge and are only interested in making conversation.

Quick Reply: Preferred method or product to care for full leather?