Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wanna know why you can't get 235/35/19 tires?

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2007, 03:50 PM
Holli82
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by MrBonus
I don't run N Spec tires. I can't say that I notice a difference.
Old 08-29-2007, 05:04 PM
brad@tirerack.com
Former Vendor

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

The limited supply of OE product that we have in our distribution channel was supplied to us by the original equipment tire manufacturers on PCNA’s behalf to ensure that Porsche dealers can support their customers directly. When OE supply issues are resolved and manufacturers can fill our requested orders for all market demand, we immediately open the products back up as soon as possible. At this time, the tire in question can be purchased at your local Porsche dealer.

If anyone has further questions please contact me directly. It is our intent to stop the spread of misinformation on this subject.

Last edited by brad@tirerack.com; 08-29-2007 at 07:24 PM.
Old 08-29-2007, 06:23 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

No spread on mis-info as I got the info from Tire Rack and later confirmed by Porsche.

Because of this hold on product I had to go to a Porsche dealer to buy my tires. I could not get them anywhere else even though they are at the Tire Rack warehouse in stock.

Tire Rack advertises the tire in question for sale @ $232. All the many Porsche dealers I called marked this tire up from anywhere around $270-$320 BECAUSE they know they have a monopoly and there is no where else a consumer can go to get this sizes of tire!!!!!!

Luckly and my fingers are crossed I found a Porsche dealer willing to help me out and sell me the tires I need for the same price Tire Rack advertises them for. Although the shipping is more than tire rack charges per tire and mounting is more I did end up with an OK deal.

I am pretty much upset with these type of UNFAIR and ILLEGAL fair trade business practices!
Old 08-29-2007, 07:10 PM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,041 Likes on 736 Posts

"I wish to clarify the situation. The limited supply of OE product that we have in our distribution channel was supplied to us by the original equipment tire manufacturers on PCNA’s behalf to ensure that Porsche dealers can support their customers directly."

Not sure what that clarifies except possible collusion between Tire Rack and PCNA. Sounds like Tire Rack is warehousing tires for PCNA for the purpose of creating an artificially low supply. You have the tire in question in stock but you won't sell it to your Porsche customers due to an agreement with PCNA which forces Porsche owners to buy the tire from their dealership at an inflated price. If Tire Rack is a retail supplier of tires, shouldn't the tires you have in stock be available to your customers on a first come, first serve basis? And if PCNA were indeed first and bought them all, why are they still in your warehouse?
Old 08-29-2007, 07:23 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

The tire manufacturers are making a limited number of these tires because they are highly specialized, and used on a very small number of vehicles.

Porsche is trying to make sure they can take care of their customers by purchasing and keeping on hand a certain number of tires.

TireRack is storing the tires on Porsche's behalf, probably for some sort of a fee.

Porsche, by fitting specialized tires on their cars has an obligation to make certain these tires are available, which is exactly what they are doing.

TireRack is making some money storing tires for Porsche, and selling whatever is available from the tire manufacturers.

As I mentioned in a previous post, I paid my Porsche dealer a nominal amount more than TireRack would have charged. Are there other P-car dealers who overcharge? No doubt, just like they overcharge for other stuff. But I just can't see this as a great conspiracy nor do I see illegality.
Old 08-29-2007, 07:54 PM
brad@tirerack.com
Former Vendor

Drums, I'll try and address this:

No spread on mis-info as I got the info from Tire Rack and later confirmed by Porsche.

Because of this hold on product I had to go to a Porsche dealer to buy my tires. I could not get them anywhere else even though they are at the Tire Rack warehouse in stock. [/QUOTE]

The tire manufacturers and Porsches decision, not ours....

Tire Rack advertises the tire in question for sale @ $232. All the many Porsche dealers I called marked this tire up from anywhere around $270-$320 BECAUSE they know they have a monopoly and there is no where else a consumer can go to get this sizes of tire!!!!!!

How does The Tire Rack have anything to do with what a dealer charges for a tire? Think about it.......We don't agree with that practice, either.

Luckly and my fingers are crossed I found a Porsche dealer willing to help me out and sell me the tires I need for the same price Tire Rack advertises them for. Although the shipping is more than tire rack charges per tire and mounting is more I did end up with an OK deal.

We think this is great and would love to see all dealerships do this. Unfortunately most do not. But that's not our fault.

I am pretty much upset with these type of UNFAIR and ILLEGAL fair trade business practices!

I doubt it's illegal. Nobody said you could not buy the tires - you just have to go to a dealership to get them. Think about it. The problem here is at the production level, not distribution. We don't make tires or have any say in how many OE tires are made by Michelin, Pirelli, Bridgestone, and Continental. We just make the distribution of the N spec product easier for the OE tire makers to the dealerships. Again, as soon as supply gets better we are asked to lift the restrictions. And we love it when that happens!

Last edited by brad@tirerack.com; 08-31-2007 at 04:34 PM.
Old 08-29-2007, 08:06 PM
brad@tirerack.com
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by mglobe
The tire manufacturers are making a limited number of these tires because they are highly specialized, and used on a very small number of vehicles.

Porsche is trying to make sure they can take care of their customers by purchasing and keeping on hand a certain number of tires.

TireRack is storing the tires on Porsche's behalf, probably for some sort of a fee.

Porsche, by fitting specialized tires on their cars has an obligation to make certain these tires are available, which is exactly what they are doing.

TireRack is making some money storing tires for Porsche, and selling whatever is available from the tire manufacturers.

As I mentioned in a previous post, I paid my Porsche dealer a nominal amount more than TireRack would have charged. Are there other P-car dealers who overcharge? No doubt, just like they overcharge for other stuff. But I just can't see this as a great conspiracy nor do I see illegality.
Pretty much right on the money. I'm not sure about the storage fee part, that's not my side of the business. Porsche has simply decided to use our distribution capability to be able to supply its dealers more effectively than they were able to before.
Old 08-29-2007, 08:11 PM
brad@tirerack.com
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by sandwedge
"I wish to clarify the situation. The limited supply of OE product that we have in our distribution channel was supplied to us by the original equipment tire manufacturers on PCNA’s behalf to ensure that Porsche dealers can support their customers directly."

Not sure what that clarifies except possible collusion between Tire Rack and PCNA. Sounds like Tire Rack is warehousing tires for PCNA for the purpose of creating an artificially low supply. You have the tire in question in stock but you won't sell it to your Porsche customers due to an agreement with PCNA which forces Porsche owners to buy the tire from their dealership at an inflated price. If Tire Rack is a retail supplier of tires, shouldn't the tires you have in stock be available to your customers on a first come, first serve basis? And if PCNA were indeed first and bought them all, why are they still in your warehouse?
Again, we don't control what comes in or out. We just store and distribute for PCNA. The beef here is really the pricing at the dealer level, which we do not control.
Old 08-29-2007, 08:26 PM
brad@tirerack.com
Former Vendor

Let me give an example if I may. Hypothetically this program is not in place....You have a nearly new 997 S at home with a blown front tire. There are none to be found anywhere at the retail level - even from the dealer. You go to the store and see an N-spec PS2 in the size you need on a Mustang GT in the parking lot. Why? Because nobody is watchdogging them to make sure people who truly need them can get them.

Would it be fair to you to have a 100k car sitting disabled at home on jack stands because the tires you need were in very short supply, but could be sold to anyone who happened to get lucky enough to call us and order the day there we only had two left?

No, I think we can all agree with that.

With this program in place like it is, this method of distribution ensures that when you need one, there IS one to be had. Sure, you have to get it from the dealership - but at least you can get one. As you have seen that there are dealerships out there willing to price the product at reasonable price levels, they just have to be sourced.

Again everyone, I would BE MORE THAN HAPPY to put anyone with questions on this program in direct touch with the people in charge of it here. Just call or PM me.

Last edited by brad@tirerack.com; 08-30-2007 at 01:55 PM.
Old 08-29-2007, 08:49 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

Damon, maybe I do not understand Tire Racks business model. I thought, as Tire seems to advertise, that they sell to the end user known as the consumer. Correct?

Well then if you have the tire in stock but will not sell it to the end user known as the consumer due to an agreement you have with the manufacture and that manufacture tells YOUR BUSINESS (ie Tire Rack) who they can sell to and who they can not sell to... THAT is colusion and unfair trade pratices and is highly ILLEGAL my friend!

With my job I am a manufacture and I redistribute some produts for resale to stores big and small across the USA. I can not call these stores and tell them who they can and can not sell the product they bought from me to. It is very illegal if I do that!

How does Porsche have anyway to tell Tire Rack who you can sell a product (ie tires from Bridgestone and Michelin) that Porsche does not even manufacture, too?

Tire Rack may have a mess on their hands with this issue.
Old 08-29-2007, 09:00 PM
GeneD
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well mabye I'm misunderstanding, but if they're truly "warehousing" the tires for Porsche NA then the Tire Rack doesn't own them and they're not theirs to sell as they see fit

It would be no different than one of Porsche's parts distribution warehouses which only sell to authorized dealers.

They may be handling the billing for Porsche as well but that would make no difference--still can't sell someone else's property.

Gene
Old 08-29-2007, 09:11 PM
GR997S
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by GeneD
Well mabye I'm misunderstanding, but if they're truly "warehousing" the tires for Porsche NA then the Tire Rack doesn't own them and they're not theirs to sell as they see fit

It would be no different than one of Porsche's parts distribution warehouses which only sell to authorized dealers.

They may be handling the billing for Porsche as well but that would make no difference--still can't sell someone else's property.

Gene
Agree:

Tire Rack is getting paid a fee from Porsche to distribute Porsche's tires (they own them) to Porsche's dealership network. Tire Rack is a 'jobber' in the sense they don't not own the tires. They store them for somebody and send then out....GR
Old 08-29-2007, 09:17 PM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,041 Likes on 736 Posts

Originally Posted by damon@tirerack.com
The beef here is really the pricing at the dealer level, which we do not control.

Actually you do by assisting PCNA in creating an unconditional monopoly on these tires. Unless you were somehow forced into accepting whatever terms PCNA stipulated and if that's the case........who or what forced you?
Old 08-29-2007, 09:24 PM
FotoVeloce
Three Wheelin'

Hm.. no wonder I've been having a bear of a time finding the 235/35/R19 I need for my front. I don't give a rats *** about 'N' or non-N rated.. I just want a quality tire to fit my big fat 19" wheels. The a 225 will not give me any curbe protection at all. These are my street tires/wheels.

I have MPSC on the car right now. They are a pain in the butt for around here, the roads pull my car all over the place. They are, however, excellent in competition! But.. I need street tire for these wheels (I have beat-up 18s' set aside for comp tires next season).

Is the restriction on ONLY 'N' rated 235's? Is there also a shortage of non-N 235's or *are* there any non-N 235/xx/19 being made?

I want the RE050A PP as well (235/275 though, the 295 will require fender mods I don't want to make).

Thank goodness I don't need them today.
Old 08-29-2007, 09:30 PM
Streamlined
Instructor

Originally Posted by GR997S
Agree:

Tire Rack is getting paid a fee from Porsche to distribute Porsche's tires (they own them) to Porsche's dealership network. Tire Rack is a 'jobber' in the sense they don't not own the tires. They store them for somebody and send then out....GR
Actually it doesn't look to be quite the same, I just checked the Tirerack site out of curiosity and they do resell these N spec tires directly to the public, it just sounds like they might be (based on this thread, I don't know) withholding stock on some tires for Porsche when they are hard to get. So its not like a manufacturer parts distrib only selling to the dealer, for it to be the same as that scenario it would be Porsche, or perhaps Michelin, warehousing the tires for direct dealer only resale. I think

Quick Reply: Wanna know why you can't get 235/35/19 tires?