Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wanna know why you can't get 235/35/19 tires?

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2007, 09:40 PM
elh0102
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought a pair or N-spec 235/35-19 PS2's from my local dealer today; paid the same price as advertised at Tire Rack. As Damon said, dealer pricing varies, maybe I was lucky. This kind of distribution arrangement is not unusual. It's cost effective for PCNA, and the distributor makes some money for a service. If folks complain too much about it to Tire Rack, their solution could be to simply get out of the arrangement with Porsche. What would be difference? Well, during periods of tight supply, such as we are now experiencing, we could be at the mercy of Michelin supplying the dealers directly, and I hate to think what a mess that might be! So, maybe it would be in our collective best interest to cool it.
Old 08-29-2007, 09:43 PM
Streamlined
Instructor

Originally Posted by JMAGOLAN
The Parts manager said they have to send in the VIN for each vehicle on which the tires are mounted, for some reason.
I've had to do this with other cars for various parts before too. Perhaps Tirerack could institute this practice (get the VIN and quickly match the Porsche owner to the buyer via Carfax or something to verify) to be sure the limited N specs are getting to real Porsche owners in need and not put on Mustang GTs
Old 08-29-2007, 09:43 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by elh0102
...So, maybe it would be in our collective best interest to cool it.
Absolutely. Let's turn this mountain back into the molehill it really is.
Old 08-29-2007, 11:06 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by GR997S
Agree:

Tire Rack is getting paid a fee from Porsche to distribute Porsche's tires (they own them) to Porsche's dealership network. Tire Rack is a 'jobber' in the sense they don't not own the tires. They store them for somebody and send then out....GR
If you all really read my posts I understand what a jobber is I sell some of my products to a job whom resells them to dealers/stores. However legally the manufacture (me) of some other manufacture that happens to have a product on my product to make it complete can not tell the dealers/stores whom they can sell to.

The way it was explained to me was that Tire Rack is not a jobber but a reseller/dealer for products that they resell to the consumer/end user.

What the heck is so dang hard for some of you to understand that what is happening here is unfair illegal business practices?

Someone in a few posts said all I am pointing out is Porsche dealers charge more for tires....GEESH...you all didn't really read my posts huh? The dealer/reseller/store can legally charge what ever they want for a product howeverthe manufacter can state the miniumum advertised price (MAP) on a product. This is not the point I am making!
Old 08-29-2007, 11:16 PM
Bum
Advanced

We may want to go after Porsche also as I believe they told the dealers not to sell the launch cars until a certain time, even though the dealers had them in stock. I smell collusion!

I agree if N-spec tires are "mandatory" for our cars or would void the warranty, there's a case here. Otherwise there is no case or issue here.

As stated, Tire Rack is part of the distribution chain for the tires. That means they probably have OE inventory and they have consumer inventory to attempt to meet the request of both.

It's been fun reading about this so far. Good luck guys.
Old 08-30-2007, 01:16 AM
4thporsche
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mdrums

What the heck is so dang hard for some of you to understand that what is happening here is unfair illegal business practices?
If you are convinced of this then sue them. If there is a case here I am sure it wouldn't be that hard to find an attorney that would take it on a contingency basis. After all, Porsche has deep pockets and someone could make a name for themselves.
Old 08-30-2007, 01:24 PM
911Dave
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

It is you who do not understand. There is nothing illegal going on here. Your facts and assumptions are incorrect.
Old 08-30-2007, 01:46 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Bum
We may want to go after Porsche also as I believe they told the dealers not to sell the launch cars until a certain time, even though the dealers had them in stock. I smell collusion!

I agree if N-spec tires are "mandatory" for our cars or would void the warranty, there's a case here. Otherwise there is no case or issue here.

As stated, Tire Rack is part of the distribution chain for the tires. That means they probably have OE inventory and they have consumer inventory to attempt to meet the request of both.

It's been fun reading about this so far. Good luck guys.
It has been an interesting discussion. N-spec tires are OEM and recommended not "mandatory"...and I don't see what could possibly be voided warranty-wise unless PCA can show that using non N-spec tires directly caused a transmission problem or RMS problem for example. I think there's a lot of protection offered by the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act...even though it may be a hassle to invoke the provisions of such.
Old 08-30-2007, 02:49 PM
GR997S
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Geeez. I am done!!!!!!!....GR
Old 08-30-2007, 04:17 PM
jnx
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by damon@tirerack.com
Again, we don't control what comes in or out. We just store and distribute for PCNA. The beef here is really the pricing at the dealer level, which we do not control.

So you are in business with PCNA? Typical Bull****.
Old 08-30-2007, 05:27 PM
User 4621
Race Director

Received 614 Likes on 326 Posts

Wow, I'm investing in Alcoa, the tinfoil hat market is getting hot.

TireRack is a large company that does a lot more than just sell tires directly to consumers. It appears that one of TireRack's businesses is logistics for large tire orders. This makes a lot of sense if you think about it.

N-spec tires are also called OEM-spec for a reason. I'm guessing PCNA requires a minimum stock level, and Michelin is slow in getting that order delivered. As such, until it's fulfilled, all Michelin N-spec stock goes to fill the Porsche order. Once filled, additional stock can be sold elsewhere, like for example by the TireRack consumer online tire sales department.

There is nothing illegal about that. Porsche's order came before yours. Whether TireRack happens to do the logistics or not makes no difference to consumer online availability.

My .02,
Old 08-30-2007, 06:09 PM
GSIRM3
Drifting

Received 64 Likes on 39 Posts

Maybe I was lucky, but I recently bought two new rear tires (PS2) from my dealer, and paid about the same as the Tire Rack advertised price. Since I would have had to pay for shipping if ordered from Tire Rack, I probably got them cheaper.

As long as I don't get ripped off, I like the idea of knowing I can get the tires I need at my dealer. I trust them to mount the tires without screwing up my wheels or car more than most tire shops. As I said, in my case, they were as cheap as the Tire Rack prices.

Maybe we should blame PCNA for not putting the heat on dealers to sell the tires at a resonable price if they are going to have this "program" in effect.
Old 08-30-2007, 06:10 PM
mdrums
Race Director

OK...listen up....I have a product that I manufacture which I sell to you and you pay me for it. You are one of my dealers across the USA. You know have this product in stock and out right own this product. This product is in high demand so I call you back and tell you who you can and can not sell this product too.

Would you like that or as a consumer would you like that?

Explain to me how this is legal to do?

That is EXACTLY what Tire Rack, PCNA and the Tire manufactures except for Pirrelli are doing!
Old 08-30-2007, 07:13 PM
BlueJay73
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

mdrums,
I share your outrage regarding this issue!!
The thought of having to go to a Porsche dealership for TIRES makes me SICK.
If I want to buy tires, I want to be able to buy them from whomever I damnwell want, on the usual first come-first served basis. I have bought tires from The Tire Rack and Discount Tires Direct for years with no problems. The thought that they might withhold their stock from me in preference to PCNA is outrageous to me.
I can't believe everyone else on this board isn't outraged too!
Will we later have to buy our brake pads directly from out friendly, neighborhood P Dealer too? How about Mobile 1 oil? Wiper blades?
Maybe I don't understand business/economics, but it sure seems clear enough.
Maybe I belong in another car.

JIM
Old 08-30-2007, 07:38 PM
mdrums
Race Director

BlueJay, glad you understand what I am getting and and what could happen in the future with other products that come on our cars.

I understand that there is a manufacturing shortage but for a company that owns it's own product (ie bought the tires from the tire company) and PCNA to be able to dictate to whom tires get sold to when PCNA does not even own these tires is what is the issue.

To those that do not "get it" what's the saying??? ha ha ha!

Quick Reply: Wanna know why you can't get 235/35/19 tires?