Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Evo V-Flow Ram Air Induction - 997 Anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2008, 01:32 AM
joe 997
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

8haggis GREAT stuff!!!
Old 01-01-2008, 06:40 AM
jjporsch43
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've installed the following on my 05'C2S over the past 2 1/2yrs
1) H&R Springs.
2) 15mm rear spacers +Custom made wheels (P5).
3) B&M SSK.
4) EVO Intake
5) Full AWE System.
6) APR ECU upgrade.

I've had NO CEL's with any of the above engine upgrades-same goes for the rest...... The only thing I've noticed is :
1) Noticeable increase in resposiveness and power. Especially after the APR add.
2) PSM does not work very effectively anymore so I've been running with it off-have no more wheel hop or snapping back of drive wheels. Much more control.
3) Will dyno/emission test before I bring it over here to Europe this Spring.

JohnJ
05' C2S
SA Texas/Croatia
Old 01-01-2008, 06:47 AM
jjporsch43
Instructor

Update.....sorry-getting over jet lag!!!!!!!!

1) I meant to say the springs, SSK and spacers/wheels caused NO ISSUES.
2) Will not post results of engine test soon since car is nowback in storage and I'm not returning to Texas until April.

JohnJ
05' C2S
SA Texas/Croatia
Old 01-01-2008, 02:25 PM
caf
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by DJ23
+1
Ray, you've hit the nail on the head with this one. I've been trying to tell friends of mine the same thing. If there wasn't any gain why do race teams find them profitable?

Jay
The needs of a race car are quite different than the needs of a street car, even a high performance street car. Those differences could probably fill a book, but just a couple of examples:

Racers will sacrifice fine filtration and the adverse effect doing so may have on engine longevity in exchange for getting even a small increase in air flow. That makes sense if you're rebuilding your engine on a regular basis or where you may only put a few thousand miles on an engine.

The needs of an intake system are also quite different when on the track. The air flow through the engine compartment at the higher average speeds on the track mean that separating cold outside air from warmer engine compartment air is much less of an issue. As an aside, on the track one doesn't even need auxiliary cooling fans behind the radiators, but that would be crazy to do without on the street.

Last but not least, as someone mentioned earlier, those decals ARE important. Unless you're a bozo, nobody puts those on their race car because they love the product so much that they want to provide free advertising.
Old 01-01-2008, 07:17 PM
PORSCHE CLUB
Intermediate

Default very valid points

caf,

those are very valid points you have made, and i think 8haggis would approve, and maybe add more to those points.

personally, i found that i yearned for more power in my 2004 996 4CS.

therefore, i fitted a cone filter from fabspeed, and together with their sports exhaust i experienced a better all round performance. i made the car as light as i could without structural changes. i enjoyed this car but still 'yearned'.

i also dreaded losing the 4cs when the new car was to arrive.

i now have the 2008 997 turbo, and interestingly, found my needs and wants, drastically changed!

sure, i still had to have the sports exhaust, but i can take it, or leave the aftermarket intakes. (see my previous post with link to speedonline thread on intakes. ps. i have reverted to the OEM box for now)

For road cars or daily drivers -------- my understanding about engine longevity with or without aftermarket or OEM filters has increased. i now believe that if my car is a keeper, i should stick to the OEM's, and if i just had to change anything, it will ONLY be the filter (regularly cleaned) and not the filter box that is air-flowed and acts as a full heatshied.

one other major change i now experience is that i find the huge power it has, is more than sufficient, and my previous cravings for more, more, more.......stopped !!

is this bliss, or will that sentiment change?

i hope it does not change as this is my 45th or 48th car, and i now need that bliss to continue for a long long time !

gooday all.

do visit our porscheclubcairns.com in australia.
Old 01-01-2008, 09:16 PM
DJ23
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 63 Posts

Caf,
do you think then that the gains that Evolution Motorsports claims to give with the air intake aren't valid? I'm not criticizing you here just trying to learn myself. I'm not an expert by any stretch and have learned by trial and error, reading and digesting different opinions on this board. I think it's safe to say that more cold air is provided to the engine (with the intake), but maybe not in any siginficant fashion from what you were saying. The only thing I can say is that the sound and tonal note of the engine was without question enhanced with the air intake. Once again this is just my own personal experience. Whether there was any contribution to added power is hard to say. I should have done a before and after dyno when I had the Revo upgrade installed. In any event for my first 911 I love the sound and quickness of my car. It's given my a lot of experience for my Turbo that I will have one day. Again thanks for the information.

Jay

Quick Reply: Evo V-Flow Ram Air Induction - 997 Anyone?