Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Evo V-Flow Ram Air Induction - 997 Anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2007, 11:35 PM
camsoccer
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default installed upgrades

I bought the evo-air intake and chip flash with a fab-speed exhaust (no headers) for my 2006 carrera 997. I saw a soild 30 Hp gain as advertised, however, like 8haggis alluded to in his posts both dyno’s were done with the engine lid cover open, which is why I saw the full advertised 30 Hp gain. I did a baseline dyno at 2100 miles. I then added the upgrades and redynoed my car at 5500 miles. I tried scanning in the images but I haven’t been able to upload the images b/c the image size is too large. I’ll try and resize them tomorrow and post them.

Additionally after reading 8haggis I decided to put the stock air filter back in and I’ll re-dyno it when I have the chance.

Oh and the fabspeed sounds really great but I’m thinking about installing fvd headers, high flow cats, and exhaust. I’m a little hesitant because I don’t want the check engine light to come on and void my warranty. Any thought would be very helpful, thanks.
Old 09-24-2007, 12:26 AM
Tbred911
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

fvd stuff is pretty good... stick with 200 cell cats and you'll have no CEL.
Old 09-24-2007, 08:47 PM
camsoccer
Intermediate

Here are the dyno runs for my car. The first one was at 2100 miles and the upgrades were installed the next day. The second dyno run was at 5500 miles. Both runs were done with the engine lid open.
Attached Images   
Old 09-25-2007, 12:04 AM
Tbred911
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

do u have torque curves?
Old 09-25-2007, 07:32 PM
camsoccer
Intermediate

Sorry I don’t have torque curves for my dyno runs. I don’t know a lot about dyno’s but apparently the clip needed to measure the torque could not be attached to the spark plug because of the outer rubberized protective coat. I’m going to give my mechanic a call and ask him for more details later this week.
Old 09-29-2007, 09:52 AM
8haggis
Instructor

Received 73 Likes on 26 Posts
Default RSS Plenum

Dan_997, I sent you a PM on this.
Old 09-30-2007, 09:45 PM
8haggis
Instructor

camsoccer,
Attached is the results of your dyno runs overlayed with Torque calculations included.
Attached Images  
The following users liked this post:
Bomba (03-01-2021)
Old 11-30-2007, 12:13 AM
Stinoo
4th Gear

So bascially what your saying that OEM hardware, is just as good as most after market tuning firms upgrades?
Old 11-30-2007, 10:35 PM
8haggis
Instructor

Not necessarily. It depends on what the target was for the OEM, what your needs are as a customer, and what the product is and how well it is designed by the aftermarket company.
However, the OEM is definitely designed to meet the needs of the engine to insure long term durability for all users.
Also, it is a lot easier to find an improved system in aftermarket for a Mustang than it will be to find one for a Porsche. The reason is simple, price. The larger your engineering budget, the better product you can produce.
Please also consider that OEMs and their suppliers put some serious effort to make the best system for that car, so besting that can be a challenge.
Old 12-08-2007, 06:32 PM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

One question.

If this system really doesn't work (as some in this thread say), why is it used by most Grand Am Cup teams that race 997's???

In my experience race teams don't generally use stuff that doesn't work.
Old 12-08-2007, 07:40 PM
camsoccer
Intermediate

I don’t think anybody isn’t saying that it doesn’t work b/c as you can see from my dyno you can see an increase in Hp (you’ll notice that my car is putting down as much Hp as a stock C2S for only an extra $2100.00). I think the issue is whether or not you should use a cloth air filter or stick with the OEM air intake. I plan on putting on my stock air intake and re-dynoing my car once I am back in Virginia this spring. After I re-dyno my car I’m then going to install FVD headers and high flow sport cats and see what Hp gains I get………

I can tell you that my car felt more responsive and quicker off the line after the modifications however some people would say that’s just the placebo effect. I’ve taken my car to a drag track to do time trials and I’ve gotten 0 to 60 mph in 4.31 sec and ¼ mile times in 12.88 at 109.5 mph. I know I could’ve gotten my times even faster but I’m not very experienced at drag racing and I just do a normal take off (no dropping the clutch with my Precious and then I hit the gas…………
Old 12-08-2007, 11:03 PM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by camsoccer
I don’t think anybody isn’t saying that it doesn’t work
Hmm....re-read the thread. There are several here claiming it doesn't work (the first poster does his analysis based on the picture ). I find it funny that some (protesting the loudest) don't seem to have even picked up the product (let alone tried it). Funny, that someone would say it uses a cheap filter (it may, but how could you tell from a picture ) without even touching it.

FWIW, I don't have this product on my car (I have considered it).

I also think it is illuminating to consider how many race teams use this exact product (and I think we can all agree that race teams aren't big on placebo gains).
Old 12-14-2007, 04:59 PM
RJMDAD996
Burning Brakes

Amigo - I had the V-Flow in my 996 and then switched to the K&N Cold Air Kit - I like the pedal response and action much better, the sound is also higher. I believe it was also cheaper by a couple of bucks. check out vividracing for additional details, it is worth the look. Also you can go the Fabspeed route - I did everything from headers, mufflers, cold air kit, GIAC chip. awesome results. I feel like I have a new P-Car... good luck.....
Old 12-30-2007, 03:12 AM
PORSCHE CLUB
Intermediate

Default just a short feedback

just a short feedback on air intakes. i hope 8haggis may want to check it out.

i got involved with the speedonline 997 turbo thread under "charles"
pls see http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/s...d.php?t=104548

i certainly think there are differences regarding sound etc between turbo and N/A cars.
gooday all.
Old 12-31-2007, 07:17 PM
DJ23
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 63 Posts

I also think it is illuminating to consider how many race teams use this exact product (and I think we can all agree that race teams aren't big on placebo gains).

Jay

Quick Reply: Evo V-Flow Ram Air Induction - 997 Anyone?