Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Headers

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2007 | 03:28 PM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by raffi
i think everybody here knows that most of us just like to mod our cars, sometimes it make absolutely no sense but we do it.
if the part is incredibly cheap (like $500 for x51 headers compared to $1000+ aftermarket ones) it makes it that much easier...
Agree completely. As I've pondered headers myself I guess I was just a little disappointed to hear that the only reward for that mod is a better look from below. What about the exhaust note? Will my Tubi sound the same no matter what headers it's combined with?
Old 08-15-2007 | 06:08 PM
4thporsche
Racer

Originally Posted by sandwedge
Agree completely. As I've pondered headers myself I guess I was just a little disappointed to hear that the only reward for that mod is a better look from below. What about the exhaust note? Will my Tubi sound the same no matter what headers it's combined with?
Based on my experience nothing readily apparent with regards to performance but the exhaust note has more of a growl and is more pronounced.
Old 08-15-2007 | 06:39 PM
drop997stop
4th Gear

Those ebay headers are actually exactly what suncoast sells. The headers are a great price for what they are. They fit and they probably will work just as good as any other header on the market. They are made in china just like suncoast headers but cheaper. If you compare pics of the two different headers yo can see they headers are indentical.

hope this helps
Old 08-15-2007 | 09:44 PM
adfsouth
Rennlist Member

Thanks guys. I've heard some good things about the Suncoast headers and if these are truly the same, I might give'em a try.....especially for only $200.

Raffi, thanks for your input....are you going to install them or let'em gather dust in the closet? Also, do the primary pipes seem a bit long in person compared to other headers that you've seen?

I concur with Edgy, just don't like the stock headers....
Old 08-15-2007 | 10:26 PM
raffi
Pro

hey andrew, i actually want to keep em shiny so that is why i am not installing...
jk, my car is in the body shop and they will go on as soon as im reunited with my car.
re: length, honestly i am not really good about this kind of stuff, i have never seen any headers close up besides these.
I had the awe mufflers and the quality of welds and materials looks the same to me.
when I compare the pics of the merge collector the z-tek looks much better but this one looks alittle rougher like the suncoast.
drop997stop, i wanted to say they were exactly the same as suncoast but didnt want to upset anyone as I wasnt 100% sure, the merge collectors looked identical...from outside they look exactly the same too. so do the other ones for sale by maxspeed and some other companies.
alot of people say the suncoast ones are the best, then everyone has negative feedback on these ebay ones in the 996 section.
Old 08-16-2007 | 12:36 AM
fuenfer
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Edgy01
There are some additional benefits in power production but won't go into all that here.
How difficult was the install? I don't plan on doing these myself, and am curious as to how much I should expect to pay to have them installed?
Old 08-16-2007 | 02:32 AM
raffi
Pro

a shop will probably charge you for 1-2hrs i would guess.
I have switched out my mufflers a few times and it is not so bad, i cant imagine the headers being much worse especially since this set comes with all new bolts gaskets etc...
Old 08-16-2007 | 10:39 AM
jnx
Three Wheelin'

I installed my headers in about 30-40 minutes, of course I have a lift which makes things very simple but it's real easy to install them. I did notice a difference in the sound after the header install. Suncoast/EVO both claim an increase in HP and torque but I am not sure of this as my car is in the break-in phase and have not pushed it as yet.
Old 08-16-2007 | 01:07 PM
Bullet
Instructor

i just don't understand why anybody would do this if the benefits are nonexistant or negligible.

-B
Old 08-16-2007 | 01:57 PM
fuenfer
Burning Brakes

Thanks for the installation info, guys. I think 30-40 minutes or 1-2 hours is low enough for me to give these a shot.

Maybe I'll be lucky enough to find "mad power!"
Old 08-16-2007 | 02:04 PM
wross996tt
Race Car

Originally Posted by fuenfer
Maybe I'll be lucky enough to find "mad power!"
Should be no problem as it is the power in your dreams
Old 08-16-2007 | 07:44 PM
raffi
Pro

Originally Posted by Bullet
i just don't understand why anybody would do this if the benefits are nonexistant or negligible.

-B
mod=fun
every cheap mod will be done by an enthusiast, just look at how many people have bought the fabspeed/schnell tube, do you think that produces the 12hp they claim, and even if it did, do you think you would notice those gains.
I honestly am just hoping to get a different sound from my exhaust system.

Quick Reply: Headers