Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Considering buying a C2 or C2S...difference???

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2007, 10:28 PM
Boxsterdoc47
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Considering buying a C2 or C2S...difference???

Hello Board...considering buying either the C2 or C2S..have test driven both and like both...hard decision to make.....the C2 you need to option and load up increasing the cost so buying a C2S makes more sense..or does it??? Input is appreciated..
Old 08-10-2007, 11:17 PM
Le Chef
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you want to save yourself a lot of grief and heartache I strongly suggest you use the "Search" button above and find out what hundreds of posters have already said about the C2 vs C2S conundrum.
Old 08-10-2007, 11:19 PM
GeneD
Rennlist Member

Well I just ordered a C2 for the following reasons (not in the order of importance to me)

1) Insurance was cheaper (around $70/month) for the C2 (I didn't shop around too much, this may not be representative of all insurance)
2) I didn't want most of the equipment that was standard on the S
(Only wanted the sport steering wheel and bi-xenons)
3) 18" tires are cheaper to replace, last longer, and are said by some to handle and ride better than the 19" standard on the S
4) The difference in top speed and acceleration will be negligible on public roads. 325 HP is still a sporty car!
5) Ordering an S with the same options as I ordered on my C2 was more than I was willing to spend.

My feeling is that if an extra 10k in cost and buying more expensive tires and insurance doesn't bother you then go with the S. Also it doesn't make much sense to me to load up a C2 with options that are standard with the S--like having both PASM and 19" tires--it makes the price difference between the models very small.

I suggest you think about what is important to you and how you'll use the car. I will probably use mine to get groceries and go to work--I doubt it will ever see the track. There will always be something better and faster, but the C2 should fit my needs nicely.

Gene
Old 08-10-2007, 11:26 PM
4thporsche
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree with GeneD. I have a C2 but if your going to load the car up with options that come standard on the S then order the S. Also, use the "Search" feature.
Old 08-10-2007, 11:38 PM
BlueJay73
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

well said, GeneD
Old 08-11-2007, 10:17 AM
kayjh
Drifting

Received 716 Likes on 498 Posts

What options are you considering?
Old 08-11-2007, 02:06 PM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

As others have said, beaten to death in previous threads and you'll find loads of info using a search. That said, I'd get the C2 and limit the options -- I still don't understand the desire to load up a sports car with "stuff". I so wish my C2S came WITHOUT 19" wheels (read this month's R&T about 19 vs. 18 -- everyone knows 18 is superior) and WITHOUT PASM. Xenon is nice I will admit. I'd get a C2 with Fire extinguisher, Xenon, sport seats... That's it.
Old 08-11-2007, 03:39 PM
911Dave
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by RonCT
I still don't understand the desire to load up a sports car with "stuff".
I understand that point of view, but to the vast majority of us the 911 is more than just a sports car. It's a luxury car and a status symbol. Whether we realize it or not, pride of ownership (ego) plays a big part in our decision to buy one. It therefore follows that we want it to be as nice as we can justify. We spring for $3,000 paint options, full leather, Bose, fancy seats, nav, etc.

Obviously there are those who see the car differently. Thankfully, Porsche makes the cars highly "optionable". Harley-Davidson does it as well.

Even if I didn't care about "nicing it up", I wouldn't dream of having one without sport steering wheel, sport seats, sport exhaust, and pretty much everything else that has the word "sport" in it except sport chrono (which I despise). I love PASM on the street because it improves feedback and I will spring for that option every time it's offered.
Old 08-11-2007, 05:08 PM
YA911Fan
Burning Brakes

I wish that was really true. Thanks to all the luxury buyers, I can't even order a 997/997S without that hideous PCM screen. And I need to get the silly wart if all I want is the different throttle map.

This is all in PCNA's hands. They have deliberately tailored the standard features and options of the US cars to address the luxury market, not the bare bones sports car enthusiast. The marketeers have decided they can get more money out of the hard core types selling them the GT cars.

btw, I don't have any problem with people loading up with what I consider to be useless or frivolous options. I'd just like to be able to option out of some of them that have turned into standard "features"...

Originally Posted by 911Dave
Obviously there are those who see the car differently. Thankfully, Porsche makes the cars highly "optionable".
Old 08-11-2007, 05:56 PM
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 196 Likes on 131 Posts

[QUOTE=911Dave]

Obviously there are those who see the car differently. Thankfully, Porsche makes the cars highly "optionable". I had a lot of fun with my options.

2006 911 Carrera S Cabriolet 997
BASE Porsche Base Model
98 Non-Metallic Paint to Sample
V5 Brown Top
TG Sand Beige Full Leather
P15 Power Seat Package
680 Bose High End Sound Package
342 Heated Front Seats
982 Supple Leather Front and Rear
M6C Cocoa Floor Mats
XSC Porsche Crest in Headrest
498 Delete Model Designation
267 Self Dimming Mirrors
451 Makassar Str Whl Multifctn
801 Makassar Package
XJT Rear Ctr. Console Makassar
XTT Door Finishers Makassar, Dark
XNG Instrument Surround in Leather
XMP Lthr Sun Visors Lighted Mirror
XTG Inner Sill Parts/Release-Lthr
2493 Exterior Color to Sample
789 997 Paint To Sample
670 Navigation for PCM
X54 Stainless Steel Exhaust Pipes
CDT Seat Belt Buckles Leather
CFS Belt Outlet B Pillar Makassar
CUL Windstop W/"Porsche"Lettering
CUV Storage Cmpt Lid W/Model Logo
CZD Interior Light Cover Leather
DAA Interior Pkg A Pillar Leather
EAB Makassar Package Switch Panel
Old 08-11-2007, 10:19 PM
Jakeman
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

The majority of folks on this forum have an S model of one kind or another...so you'll see that preference shines through pretty easily. That said, if you can't spring for an S, the base car is plenty of fun.

J
Old 08-11-2007, 10:25 PM
Pugnacious
Racer

Originally Posted by points
Obviously there are those who see the car differently. Thankfully, Porsche makes the cars highly "optionable". I had a lot of fun with my options...
Me too! Porsche allows you to customize a one of a kind vehicle and spend lots of money in the process. It was great fun!
Old 08-12-2007, 03:57 PM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm just trying to encourage prospective new 911 owners that it's "OK" to get a very lightly optioned car and that the C2 is a fabulous car in it's own right and that unless you are a track junkie (as I am), that there may be no real need to spring for the S...
Old 08-12-2007, 11:01 PM
Boxsterdoc47
Instructor

Thanks for the great comments...options --Bose,Xenons,and heated seats only... so does an S make sense???
Old 08-12-2007, 11:48 PM
YA911Fan
Burning Brakes

That's up to your ego!

Originally Posted by Boxsterdoc47
Thanks for the great comments...options --Bose,Xenons,and heated seats only... so does an S make sense???

Quick Reply: Considering buying a C2 or C2S...difference???