Sponsored by:

Sat Radio

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2007, 06:24 PM
KeninBlaine
Drifting

Received 29 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Sat Radio

The other night I read all 29 pages of the forum from early 2006 related to installing a Cayenne Sat radio in a 997. Interesting, but it isn't worth 1800 or 2000 to me. So today I rigged up my 2-year old Roady 2 XM radio in my 2005 997C2S cab.

I find the advantage of this type of arrangement is that I can monitor what is playing on my favorite XM channel(s) while listening to the car radio. When I see something on the XM that I want to hear, I switch over to it. The only drawback to the setup in the Porsche is that the power outlets don't switch off with the ignition (does anyone know if there is an easy fix for this?) so I have to remember to turn off the Roady each time.

One weird thing turned up. I have a Dension unit, so I connected the Roady to the Dension audio inputs for better quality sound compared to the built-in FM transmitter. I found that there was a lot of ignition noise and other high pitched, sometimes varying independent of motor, electrical noise in the background. I tried unplugging various cables in different orders, but it seemed to boil down to the Dension unit, because everything sounds fine when I play it through the FM radio and not use the Dension audio inputs. So I guess the Dension won't work. I typically listen to XM comedy the most, so sound quality isn't all that important to me.

For now I have just put the antenna on the front fender, and it seems to be working fine so far here in The OC. So the installation isn't quite as clean as the other solution, but only cost about $20 (saw a Roady 2 on Craigslist for $20 yesterday).

Last edited by KeninBlaine; 01-07-2009 at 02:52 PM.
Old 07-29-2007, 08:11 PM
dndodd
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Go to Radio Shack and get a ground loop isolator for you Dension unit. That will solve your noise issues, it did for me. I mounted my antenna on the plastic cowl between the wipers and duct taped a big washer behind it to hold it in place. It is invisible for the most part.
Old 07-29-2007, 08:35 PM
Eric - Plug Guy
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 195 Likes on 108 Posts

Yeah, what he said, and move the ant to the windshield cowl cover, it will vanish from sight.

2022 GT3 Touring
2009 997 Turbo Cab
2018 M2 6sp

Gone but not forgotten
2004 C4S Cabriolet
1999 C2 Cab

Old 07-30-2007, 03:22 AM
KeninBlaine
Drifting

Thanks guys. I was planning on seeing if I could mount the antenna to the cowl cover, and taping a large washer underneath seems like an easy solution. I have the ferrite cores on the antenna lead and power lead going to the radio. I surmised it was a grounding issue, as the noise disappears the instant I unplug the power plug from the power outlet. Where does the ground loop isolator get installed?
Old 07-30-2007, 05:36 AM
Vancouver83LTD
Nordschleife Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

or run the wire down the back of the car and place it on the trunk.
Old 07-30-2007, 08:25 AM
Frino
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I mounted the antenna to my FM modulated XM unit inside the car at the base of the passenger A-pillar....it works great. Display is mounted at the base of the center stack and fits perfectly. Power turns on/off with ignition.
Old 07-30-2007, 12:52 PM
KeninBlaine
Drifting

Originally Posted by Frino
I mounted the antenna to my FM modulated XM unit inside the car at the base of the passenger A-pillar....it works great. Display is mounted at the base of the center stack and fits perfectly. Power turns on/off with ignition.
I'm curious how the display turns on/off with ignition, since both my power points stay on all the time. I'll try the inside antenna mount, as it sounds great.
Old 07-31-2007, 08:39 AM
Frino
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by keninirvine
I'm curious how the display turns on/off with ignition, since both my power points stay on all the time. I'll try the inside antenna mount, as it sounds great.
The installer made some linkage in the fusebox that enabled the XM receiver to operate within the ignition circuit. He did mention that P-Cars are not set up to operate this kind of aftermarket device off the accessory setting. If you strike out on this matter PM me and I'll put you in touch with the installer.
Old 07-31-2007, 06:11 PM
dndodd
Racer

Another solution is to set the timer on your Roady for 3 hours and you will never have to worry about running your battery down.
Old 07-31-2007, 10:40 PM
KeninBlaine
Drifting

Originally Posted by dndodd
Another solution is to set the timer on your Roady for 3 hours and you will never have to worry about running your battery down.
Interesting. Never noticed it had a timer. Thanks
Old 07-31-2007, 10:41 PM
KeninBlaine
Drifting

Originally Posted by dndodd
Go to Radio Shack and get a ground loop isolator for you Dension unit. That will solve your noise issues, it did for me.
Thanks for the tip. Where does this isolator need to be installed?
Old 07-31-2007, 11:50 PM
Vancouver83LTD
Nordschleife Master

Additionally our installers when they hardwire in a sirius unit (it's 6V, not 12V) will wire in a cigarette plug under the dash out of site and plug the unit in. XM as far as I'm aware, they lop off the end and connect it.
Old 08-01-2007, 02:02 AM
Dr 997
Racer

Originally Posted by Eric - Plug Guy
Yeah, what he said, and move the ant to the windshield cowl cover, it will vanish from sight.
I just taped mine to the inside of the windshield behind the rear view mirror and ran the wire under the windshield seal. Works great, and all hardware stays inside the car.

Jimmy
Old 08-01-2007, 09:59 AM
dndodd
Racer

Originally Posted by keninirvine
Thanks for the tip. Where does this isolator need to be installed?
The negative line going into the Dension unit.

Quick Reply: Sat Radio